Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help with my Law questions. judges and political decisions, Equality Act 2010 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody

I have an essay which counts for 100% of my module, we have been given a choice of 4 questions but I literally have no clue how to answer any of them. I have narrowed them down to three which I will list below. If you guys could tell me what question they would choose in order to gain the highest mark and what they would include for each, that would be great.

Many Thanks

1) Do judges in the UK make political decisions? To what extent should judges be able to make decisions on political grounds?

Your answer to this question should include reference to specific caselaw.

2) To what extent is substantive equality promoted through (a) the Equality Act 2010 (which consolidates and expands the earlier legislative initiatives) and/or (b) the Human Rights Act 1998? Your answer should include references to specific case law and to specific grounds of discrimination

3) To what extent is current legislation sufficient in addressing discrimination and equality issues faced by minorities in the UK? Your answer should focus on one or two of the newer protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 (so age/disability/gender reassignment/marriage and civil partnership/ religion or belief/ /sexual orientation) or on disability

ReputationRep:
    What is your module? Con & Ad?

ReputationRep:
    No, It's called Justice, equality and society. It's to do with the English legal system and how it all works, its a first year module if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    What is your module? Con & Ad?
    No, It's called Justice, equality and society. It's to do with the English legal system and how it all works, its a first year module if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, in con and ad law there is some discussion about what judges can rule on, also in tort. In principle judges, being unelected, should not rule on things certain types of things. There is some discussion in this in the GCHQ case which looks at judicial review of the royal prerogative powers. Also some of the negligence cases in tort law consider the fact that public authorities have to make finely balance decisions about how to allocate limited public funds and unelected judges are unfit to rule on these things. If you haven't studied those topics yet, I would have thought it unlikely you would be expected to write about them though.

What cases have you been looking at in your lectures/seminars?

ReputationRep:
    Hello can i post my question here, i need a bit of help please

ReputationRep:
    T&P Computers ltd do a great deal of work for Xanadu plc. The managind director of xanadu (Ellie) owns a number o0f shares in T&P Computers ltd, the following events have taken place;

1. ellie sold a piece of land to T&P Computers ltd ata price of £60.000, This land was then sold to Xanadu plc at a price of £10,000, the actual value of the land was £60,000 and ellie, alan and betty (the directors of T&P ) share out the £40,000 profit between themselves.

2. xanadu plc enter into a large longterm contract with t&p computers ltd . Ellie was primarily responsible for setting up the deal and agued very strongly for it at the xanadu board meeting at which it was finalised.
    Advise;
    1. the shareholders of t&p computers ltd about the profit sharing
    2. the directors of xanadu about ellies involvement in the profit sharing; and
    3, the directors of xanadu who have found out about ellie s shareholding in t&p computers ltd and also that appears taht ellie is a director of t&p.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.