Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for all A*s but I am not sure on how many past papers I should do- especially for the following subjects:
    ~English Language
    ~English Literature
    ~Triple Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
    ~Religious Studies
    ~French
    ~FSMQ Additional Maths
    ~Statistics

ReputationRep:
    The more the better. It's up to you.

For English Language + Literature do 1 past paper for each, as it's always the same.

Do 3 past papers for each unit for Sciences, so 3 for B1, P1, C1 and so forth, it's usually the same but quite tough as some exam boards are strict with scientific terms in your answers.

RS do 1 past paper for each unit, as again it's always the same old like English. 2 past papers would help but really won't benefit you towards an A*

French I would do LOADS unless you're a fluent French speaker.

Do about 2 for Add. Maths so you get the idea of how to work out each type of question, like what equations to do. Same with Statistics. But revision is more important rather than using past papers when it comes to maths.

ReputationRep:
    For maths I did about 20 past papers from Sept to Nov and got an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    For maths I did about 20 past papers from Sept to Nov and got an A
    Are you mad?! Maths is all about practice and not past questions. Unless you mean for actually practicing the questions rather than seeing the past questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Are you mad?! Maths is all about practice and not past questions. Unless you mean for actually practicing the questions rather than seeing the past questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes, but it's useful to see past papers as you can see the format etc etc I honestly don't see any other way to revise for maths apart from maths watch and past papers, and sometimes bbc bitesize

oh and also I did 10 for calc and 10 for non-calc, not 20 each lol god do 20 even exist aha
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't agree. Practice is obviously the most important thing, but neglecting past questions would be stupid. Past papers are similar between years, so doing a lot of past papers teaches you not only the mathematics but also the exam technique which is critical. When we were doing GCSE Maths, our Maths teacher made us do at least 20 past papers and we practically all got A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I don't agree. Practice is obviously the most important thing, but neglecting past questions would be stupid. Past papers are similar between years, so doing a lot of past papers teaches you not only the mathematics but also the exam technique which is critical. When we were doing GCSE Maths, our Maths teacher made us do at least 20 past papers and we practically all got A*s.
    It's similar therefore 2-3 is fine but 20, no.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's similar therefore 2-3 is fine but 20, no.
    Why? Do you have any reason to think that doing 20 papers is ridiculous or is this just a belief of yours? I'd be very surprised if my school's maths department gave GCSE students a past paper a week for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I certainly have no regrets about the volume of papers I got through. 2-3 past papers might be enough for someone with a natural mathematical ability but it's insane for a normal person. I don't know of any subject that would only make students sit 2-3 past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Why? Do you have any reason to think that doing 20 papers is ridiculous or is this just a belief of yours? I'd be very surprised if my school's maths department gave GCSE students a past paper a week for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I certainly have no regrets about the volume of papers I got through. 2-3 past papers might be enough for someone with a natural mathematical ability but it's insane for a normal person. I don't know of any subject that would only make students sit 2-3 past papers.
    I'm not saying you should regret it, but I'm also not saying if people want to do 20 that they shouldn't, if you feel like you have to do 20 then do 20, whatever aids you best.

I just think trying out practice questions is enough, some may not, and that's totally fine. If practice questions aren't enough to prepare you, then do loads of past papers, depends on the person.

That's not really an option for me anyway considering Edexcel literally have a password for EVERY past maths paper on the current specification.

ReputationRep:
    dont aim to get A* in everything thats to high aim for B's and C's

ReputationRep:
    Just do as many past papers/questions!! They really help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.