Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight loss after a serious injury? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I suffered a double fracture to my ankle in early January and the weeks of doing nothing has resulted in me eating crap and putting on a bit of weight. I've now recovered and I'm looking to shift this asap. In my teens I was quite active (played football to an advanced level and also swam competitively) and this is something I was already looking to get back into prior to the injury.

I plan on joining a gym and starting to go for a run regularly, unfortunately since I haven't been out of a cast for long i'm not walking properly (have a bit of a limp), so I can't do things like running/press ups at the moment. Which makes me a bit confused as to what i can actually do in the mean time. Swimming is the obvious one, but what else is there?

I've got a part time job which has me on my feet for the entire day, and I also walk into work so I probably get through a few miles on an average workday (I'm usually in 5 days a week). I've cleaned my diet up as well which is already having a positive effect.

ReputationRep:
    Broke my ankle last year, took a while untill I was walking properly, never mind running! I did a lot of swimming though when I was out of a cast and even when I was in a cast I went to the gym (when I could). You can do a lot of upper body exercises, bench press, seated shoulder press, use the machines and pull ups etc.
    Also, have you been having physio? That will help an awful lot if you arent already.

ReputationRep:
    When I first started losing weight I was very lazy, and lost the first few stone just from changing my diet. It's absolutely possible to lose weight without exercising at all. Although now I go for a balance of diet and exercise. Swimming is one of the best things to do IMO as it's non weight bearing. It sounds as though you're exercising a lot through work, which is great, and if you can walk then this is great exercise too! Anything you can cope with to keep yourself active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    When I first started losing weight I was very lazy, and lost the first few stone just from changing my diet. It's absolutely possible to lose weight without exercising at all. Although now I go for a balance of diet and exercise. Swimming is one of the best things to do IMO as it's non weight bearing. It sounds as though you're exercising a lot through work, which is great, and if you can walk then this is great exercise too! Anything you can cope with to keep yourself active.
    That's good, my diets been pretty crap for a while so I can't imagine it'll be too long before I see some sort of change physically. I don't think it is perfect now (may post it up at some point) but it is infinitely better than what it was. There's a swimming pool right by where I live that is dirt cheap so going there everyday is a good starting point

(Original post by Megaloblastic)
    Broke my ankle last year, took a while untill I was walking properly, never mind running! I did a lot of swimming though when I was out of a cast and even when I was in a cast I went to the gym (when I could). You can do a lot of upper body exercises, bench press, seated shoulder press, use the machines and pull ups etc.
    Also, have you been having physio? That will help an awful lot if you arent already.
    Yeh it's been a month and i'm still walking far from properly I'm not sure what is happening with physio, really. I've been offered it and i've been in touch with them but no appointment has been arranged yet. They may be removing a screw in my leg soon too, which apparently will make it much easier to walk.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.