Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do people know what they want to do with life so early? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a clue what I wanted to do as a career. I always knew that whatever I did I'd want time to write as a hobby, as I love it. So I went through GCSEs, A Levels and a Psychology BSc Degree and what did I end up working as..? A copywriter! Crazy (and, I admit, incredibly lucky and somewhat flukey)!

ReputationRep:
    People think they know what they want to do. They normally end up wrong .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bc001)
    THis is something everyone likes the idea of until they do it!
    Just wondering why do people not think it's as good as they think it is when they actually do it?

ReputationRep:
    i think they just like the idea of helping people say, so say " i'm going to be a doctor" or like modern buildings, so " i'm going to be an architect". Sometimes it doesn't work out and they either find out they can't be what they want/ it's not all they imagined ( work experience can help here..) and move on to something hopefully more suited to them.

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder the same. I have no clue what I want to do and my chosen degree isn't relevant to anything (and I mean ANYTHING). Only a few months ago I didn't even know what my degree subject even was, and over the years I've considered five different degrees. Just go with the flow...

In some ways I envy those who know what they're striving for because they can 100% commit themselves to it, but then again I kind of like the spontaneity and being open to many career paths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I genuinely envy people like that. They know early on they want to be a doctor, teacher, actor, nurse and so on. When I think about it, I mean really think about it, I have no clue. I'm studying a science degree, though I find science interesting, I'm not passionate about it, chances are I won't be working in a related field cause chilling in a lab all day long isn't my cup of tea.

I don't like the idea of working 9-5 in an office all day. Just living for a the weekend and 25days worth of holidays a year. I like the idea of meeting people, building bridges, travelling to different destinations, something I can immerse myself. But I'm not particularly talented or skilled at anything, like I don't act, dance, sing or what ever. Nor do I feel particularly passionate about anything at this point in time. I dunno I guess I'm just venting really.

If you know what you want to do in life, how did you decide? If you don't know, what are you doing in the mean time? How does one go about finding what they really want to do in life if they have no clue?
    Hey, no need to worry about it. There's plenty of people who are in the same position as yours! (Even though I am not someone who is 100% sure in what I want to do).

With me, I still recall the time when I was a little girl dreaming to be a nurse...little did I know that when I got to highschool Sciences would not be my thing! All the subjects I study are Arts and Humanities based (for A2), I know that I have an interest in creativity. At first I was interested in Journalism, but then that wore off. Now I don't know either, but it's not like I hate any particular job, for example Teaching, if I end up in that occupation it's not a nightmare to me. I also like the idea of meeting new people and travelling. And recently I've been thinking about Journalism again, because Journalism is pretty much that. Travelling, interviewing people and writing. So I'm just waiting to see where life takes me!

I advise you to do voluntary (or paid) work in as much sectors as you can to get a taster. For example, I currently work in a religious institution where I teach children. Although I enjoy it, I don't see myself doing a career in teaching children anymore (it feels so anyway). So that gets me thinking more.

There is always something out there you will feel passionate about, there must be. You might just not have found it yet, but the fact that you're doing a science degree speaks for itself. You must have some passion if you carried on the subject!

ReputationRep:
    I find the problem is that there are so many choices of what to have a career in. I always fret I am doing the wrong career. There are tons of other awesome jobs out there, its just a shame we only live once and cannot experience many career paths.

ReputationRep:
    It's only now at the age of 28 that I've realised what I would truly like to do - teach English to speakers of other languages. I've just qualified and am applying for my first teaching job. I absolutely loved my course, and am as sure as I can be without having actually started teaching that this is truly the career for me. (Obviously I know that once I do start getting paid to teach then my opinion might change - but I think this is highly unlikely.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    Just wondering why do people not think it's as good as they think it is when they actually do it?
    imho, because people like security and like to be cared about; and if you are traveling around alone you don't have either.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.