Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to learn/memorise revision notes? (Science) watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hi everyone!

It's the Easter holidays now so I'm being more serious about revision and really want to go for it to ensure that I do as well as I can. I've prepared all my notes now and with some subjects that I'm better at (English, Spanish and French) I feel ok about them, but science is really stressing me out because I've got 6 exams to do (unit 2 and unit 3 in each one - I'm doing triple.)

I'm fairly good with most of the unit 2 stuff because we finished it such a while ago and the information's sunk in. But with unit 3 I feel like I don't really know much and that I'm going to do significantly worse.

My question is: what are your best tips for revising science and memorising the notes? I've got everything I need to know, but it's sitting down with the motivation to learn them that I really need help with. Because there are limited papers for unit 3 (new specification) I want to learn as much as I can first before doing them.

Thank you to anyone in advance, I will reward any tips that you give with positive rep.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the same boat as you, but as for past papers try out the old spec, there are still some relevant questions. Tbh, I'm sure others will actually give some decent advice unlike me because I struggle to find ways for the information to sink in.

There's a You Tuber called, 'MyGCSEscience'. He's already started a few unit 3 videos but not a lot. Sorry that I can't help you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I`m not as stressed or in a similar situation yet about sitting my science exams, because that is next year for me; However, I`m a worrier so I have already asked my teachers about revising methods and they say; repeat tests that you have already done covering up the answers, and make notes and questions up that you know the answers too after reading individual topics, then give it 2/3 days and then try answering the questions without the help of a textbook or any notes, the ones you get wrong will help you focus on what you then need to learn a bit more of, in depth. Keep doing this and hopefully you should become more aware of which topics, you are finding more challenging and target them. Hope this helps !! Good Luck !!

ReputationRep:
    What I found useful for gcse was making key points for each page of notes then making questions about the key points on flash cards and testing myself on them constantly

Also doing past papers to get the exam technique.

If you exams are anything like mine where then the same questions come up again and again I wouldn't advice learning the mark schemes though it doesn't work

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraa)
    What I found useful for gcse was making key points for each page of notes then making questions about the key points on flash cards and testing myself on them constantly

Also doing past papers to get the exam technique.

If you exams are anything like mine where then the same questions come up again and again I wouldn't advice learning the mark schemes though it doesn't work

What's the exam technique for Science ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    What's the exam technique for Science ?
    knowing the right answer?
    I don't really know what to say I just try and write a point per sentence
    By doing the past papers and marking them you know how to structure your answers better

ReputationRep:
    Write out your notes again and again until you know them so well you could recite them backwards (ok - that's a bit of an exaggeration but still make sure you learnt them! )
    Listen to a revision CD
    Learn your notes and then teach them to somebody else - a younger sibling or something - that way you really learn them
    Make flashcards and get someone to test you on them
    Do past papers - Science is basically just learning the facts and then being able to apply these in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I was wondering can you tell me the difference in the command words for Science.... The two terms I don't understand are, 'Explain' & 'Describe'. I always get mixed up between the two. Its my biiiiiiigest downfall. Please can you help me.

(Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Write out your notes again and again until you know them so well you could recite them backwards (ok - that's a bit of an exaggeration but still make sure you learnt them! )
    Listen to a revision CD
    Learn your notes and then teach them to somebody else - a younger sibling or something - that way you really learn them
    Make flashcards and get someone to test you on them
    Do past papers - Science is basically just learning the facts and then being able to apply these in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    Hey there, I was wondering can you tell me the difference in the command words for Science.... The two terms I don't understand are, 'Explain' & 'Describe'. I always get mixed up between the two. Its my biiiiiiigest downfall. Please can you help me.

Describe basically means describe - no other way of saying it - what something is, for example the trend of a graph or what happens when you add something to a reaction or something. For example, you might say that at 50 degrees the rate of reaction starts to decrease. But you don't say WHY this is happening - that is where the explain bit comes in. When a question asks you to explain it then you describe what happens and then give scientific reasons why this is, e.g. At 50 degrees the rate of reaction starts to decrease because the the temperature is too high for the enzyme to catalyse the reaction and therefore it is denatured.
    Explain questions are often a mark or two more than describe questions because they obviously want you to write more.

ReputationRep:
    Might help if u know if your a kinesthetic, visual or auditory learner. Then work around that fro revision techniques. It helps loads.
    Good Luck. oh and a tip don't revise just before the exam coz nothing goes in and it makes you panic and forget everything you've learnt.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.