Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Sunderland sack Martin O'Neill Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some of the talk from the media is quite funny. They were happy for Di Canio to be a nice little sideshow act that they could point at and go "Look at this crazy passionate manager" when he was at Swindon. They didn't care enough about his political beliefs then to constantly bring them up in every article.

I love Di Canio for what he is - a complex character. One minute he's playing great football; the next he's pushing a ref over; then he's refusing to score a goal because the keeper is down injured; then he's doing "fascist" salutes; then he's one hell of a passionate and entertaining manager.

With all that in mind, I want this guy around. Thank God sport isn't fully populated by good guys who constantly play by the rules like some of you here clearly want. You can have that sterile environment if you want. In the meantime, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the crazy ride that Di Canio will undoubtedly provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Fair enough. That was an unrelated point. I just dislike David Milliband I find him to be an abhorrent man and complete hypocrit. But I wouldn't want to be associated with a fascist either.

The thing with this whole Di Canio thing is quite simple. Fascism is an abhorent political ideology. I think it's a reprehensible and idiotic belief system to hold. But PDC is free to be an idiot until he oversteps the mark. If he does, then he should be nailed.
    Why do you hold so much disgust towards David Milliband btw, I've been reading alot of anymosity directed towards him online since his resignation? I know there is the tax manipulation that he carries out and read the about some sort of communism association but they've been very equivocal. I've always held him in high regard and thought of him as the best bunch of a terrible bunch.

I must be missing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Please understand the context of the salute when Italians do it. The straight arm salute was originally used by Roman soldiers to hail each other. Hitler adopted it into his ideals because he respected the Romans and wanted to be like them. When some Italians use it its a sign of extreme Italian pride and nationalism. Tbh I don't care about his views as long as he doesn't discriminate against people, political and football should mix just let the man get on with his job. Typical British press making a big deal out of nothing

Weren't you pretty sure of victory at Southampton ? all I'm saying is that the Sunderland team is a wildcard with Di Canio in charge. He isnt going to provide a tacical advantage but he will give the player a boost and with a out of form Chelsea that could provide disastrous for you
    Hmm, not exactly, thought we were in form but had a feeling we'd do a nonsense team selection to work on the FA cup and europa.

I guess he would give em a rocket. I like di canio but I just think sunderland are too boring of a team to actually care about them. Similar to bolton last season. We're not out of form either. We just beat manchester united and have lost one match in 5 games due to using our reserve players. Rafa will probably put a semi strong selection against rubin and do the same for sunderland. He only cares about putting trophies on his CV so 4th/5th place won't matter to him as he's gone at the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, as a Sunderland fan, I couldn't give a damn what the mans political beliefs are. All I care about is whether he can keep us in the Premiership or not.

I actually think he is a great choice. Sure there were a few other "conventional" managers available, Curbishley and Hughes spring to mind, but conventional hasn't been working all season, so why not try something new? As things stand we're going to get relegated, trying something different might just work.

Also, our squad is decent, but all season they have shown no passion, no desire to fight for the team, and if there is one thing that Di Canio showed throughout his whole career it was passion, and he might just be able to pass some of that onto out current batch of players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    You're are a judgemental mug though arnt you though by accusing me of racism when you know next to nothing about me. .
    I'd like you to point out where i actually called you a racist in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why do you hold so much disgust towards David Milliband btw, I've been reading alot of anymosity directed towards him online since his resignation? I know there is the tax manipulation that he carries out and read the about some sort of communism association but they've been very equivocal. I've always held him in high regard and thought of him as the best bunch of a terrible bunch.

I must be missing something.
    He is a competent politician, but a total hypocrite. So desperate to be Blair Junior that he wasn't man enough to stay in the cabinet when his brother got the nod. Fancies scoring a cheap political point by leaving the SAFC board on the grounds of disassociating himself with 'fascism', when in reality he was sodding off to the States anyway. Wants to be a hero so much. And then there's the funny irony that his actions, ie pursuing a war on a whim, have been far more damaging than the pantomime villainy Di Canio indulges in from time to time.
    • TSR Support Team

O'Neill doesn't seem to be taking his sacking too bad. Name:  O'Neill.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  69.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    I think people need to learn to distinguish between Fascist and Nazi, Facist and Racist. They are no the same things. Anyway, who cares what he believes as long as he doesn offend people?

ReputationRep:
    The amount of managers sacked this last year in the premier league is utterly disgraceful, and Martin O Neill's short tenure at Sunderland is just another example of how screwed up football clubs policies towards building up a successful foundation for a team really is. I am however, eagerly anticipating Di Canio's step up to the premier league, considering the colourful character he has proven himself to be over the years, but O'Neill should have been given until the end of the season at least, if not another season in the Premier league/Championship (wherever they would have ended up at the last game of the season).

ReputationRep:
    Even if someone has political views that are distasteful, offensive and not the normal sentences then deep down, you can respect and acknowledge that because at least that individual is being honest and not hiding his views. He, thus re-inforces that view within himself and the ideology because he's not ashamed.

The lack of honesty from Di Canio isn't really helping him. Sure, Swindon didn't bother much when they allowed him to take the manager's job but with due respect, they are in League One, not the PL so the media attention and attraction differs extremely. His time at Swindon became more known for his explosive press-conferences and match antics than his political views.

He would have been better off either accepting or rejecting his beliefs, and being clear. Sunderland's attempt at PR control plus Di Canio hiding behind the old "media twisted everything" hasn't helped.

All I'll say is, what someone tweeted: "just because he gives fascist salutes, has a tattoo of Mussolini, and says "I'm a fascist", doesn't mean he's a fascist!"

But when the matches start, and he gets result, then this "minor" issue will be forgotten...

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if he's a fascist? Fascists make strong leaders. That's evident throughout history. If he can create a dictatorship at Sunderland, their fans won't be complaining.

ReputationRep:
    He's finally clarified his position, clearly. Some may call it super-ficial considering he has a tattoo of Mussolini somewhere on his body but should be the end of the matter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.