The Student Room Group

barely legal drivers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Arkay
I'm sure the 'next time' section of last week's ep showed a boy bashing the car into a wall in a parking lot (or something like that), but yesterday's ep was a different one, unless I've missed one between them :confused:

Actually, yes, you're correct there, the episode that was aired this week is different to the one that was shown at the end of last episode.

Although I have heard something about one of the participants trying to take legal action against the BBC about them being shown on TV (despite signing a release form apparently), so that episode may have been pulled because of that.
Reply 61
Original post by yaboy
attitude to what....

Bad attitude towards other drivers. These people act like 9 year olds living in their own fantasy world.
Reply 62
Original post by Arkay
I'm sure the 'next time' section of last week's ep showed a boy bashing the car into a wall in a parking lot (or something like that), but yesterday's ep was a different one, unless I've missed one between them :confused:

Yeah you're right
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rsmpf/Barely_Legal_Drivers_Bradley_and_Kayla/ (skip to the end)

They likely pushed it to a later date to stop the viewers getting annoyed that the block never gets the car.
Original post by .JJ
Next Tuesday, episode 4/6

Thank you :smile:
Gonna watch this weeks now
Reply 64
Original post by NewFolder
Instead of getting a free car or advanced driving lessons, they should get either advanced driving lessons, a driving awareness course (like the one you get if you are caught speeding, using a mobile phone,etc), or, if their driving is good, a car. Advanced driving lessons aren't going to help with the attitude problem that some of the participants obviously have, whereas driving awareness courses have been proven to do just this.

I think that this is the way that it should have gone:

Show 1:
Guy - driving awareness course, for excessive speeding and attempting to drive while drunk (both of which would have resulted in bans if stopped by Police)
Girl - driving awareness course, for repeatedly using mobile phone

Show 2:
Guy - driving awareness course, for a general bad attitude, attempting to drink drive, plus going through ONE red light at speed (the other two were on amber before he crossed the stop line)
Girl - unsure, she went through a red light (cautiously, and looking both ways first), but that was the only real bad thing that I remember her doing

Show 3:
Guy - car, apart from the driving with mist on the windscreen, his driving was excellent
Girl - advanced driving lessons, her problem was obviously ability rather than attitude

Completely agree with you, neither of the drivers in the first episode should have got a car, they both did (or attempted to do) things that are illegal and don't even have any real connection with skill, so it's not even like it was just new driver nerves. ^^ This program annoys me so much lol
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I thought the guy from last night deserved the car. He drove well overall.

The girl did some pretty shocking things, like when she stopped in the middle of the motorway! :confused:

She annoyed me. She let West Yorkshire down! :biggrin: I think this episode and the previous one, the right decision was made. The first episode, I felt that she made the wrong decision

Waiting for the fourth episode now. As someone said above, in the first episode, they would have both benefited from advanced driving courses
Jesus Christ, how irritating is this girl and her sister?! Seriously hope she doesn't get a car
Reply 67
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Jesus Christ, how irritating is this girl and her sister?! Seriously hope she doesn't get a car

She's already had two accidents and had a 12 month ban, it seems unfair that she even gets a chance to try!
Woohoo been waiting for this episode to air for ages..Matthew is part of my family, he deserved that car, he's driven perfectly ever since and can avoid the abuse he got everywhere :smile: Kath was amazing I love her she's a right character and she dotes on Matth :smile:
Original post by JennaEmBee
Woohoo been waiting for this episode to air for ages..Matthew is part of my family, he deserved that car, he's driven perfectly ever since and can avoid the abuse he got everywhere :smile: Kath was amazing I love her she's a right character and she dotes on Matth :smile:

I trust this persons judgment, there is absolutely no concern from me about the potential for bias.
I think this programme is stupid. These people have just passed their test or have not driven for months since their test. They are bound to make mistakes- everyone does. Then judging their driving by a traffic officer (with a huge gap in her teeth) isn't necessary- they know they've made the mistakes so why do they need to be told again? And giving them advanced driving lessons isn't necessary either, they need to get experience not lessons...

I'm sure if you filmed the same programme but with old age pensioner drivers, you'd get the same sort of mistakes made. Paints a bad picture of us new drivers, taking advantage of the small mistakes we make.
Reply 71
Original post by Runninground
I think this programme is stupid. These people have just passed their test or have not driven for months since their test. They are bound to make mistakes- everyone does. Then judging their driving by a traffic officer (with a huge gap in her teeth) isn't necessary- they know they've made the mistakes so why do they need to be told again? And giving them advanced driving lessons isn't necessary either, they need to get experience not lessons...

I'm sure if you filmed the same programme but with old age pensioner drivers, you'd get the same sort of mistakes made. Paints a bad picture of us new drivers, taking advantage of the small mistakes we make.

They are not just making small mistakes such as stalling. They're making potential fatal mistakes. For example, in one episode this girl cut across a crossroad right into the path of an oncoming bus. That is highly dangerous and would result in an instant fail on the test.

Also, many aren't even aware that they've actually made a mistake until they've seen it again.

It is a stupid programme though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cartman
They are not just making small mistakes such as stalling. They're making potential fatal mistakes. For example, in one episode this girl cut across a crossroad right into the path of an oncoming bus. That is highly dangerous and would result in an instant fail on the test.

Also, many aren't even aware that they've actually made a mistake until they've seen it again.

It is a stupid programme though.

I saw that episode. The girl hadn't a clue where she was going either. Inexperienced driver + not knowing where to go + not knowing the road layout + busy (rush hour?) = obviously going to make mistakes. I'm sure there are many many new drivers who have had worse 'near misses' than that, it's just part of learning to drive.

I think it's one of those programmes that seemed good when they sat around discussing it, but turned out to be terrible when it came to actually making it. The drivers go on two (?) long trips and make only two or three mistakes. That's pretty good for someone who is driving a car they aren't used to and haven't driven for a few months!:tongue:
Reply 73
I've just watched this weeks episode and can't believe that gay guy got the car. I personally thought the girl was a much safer driver. That guy on the other-hand drove through a red light. I'm convinced that traffic officer has no idea what she's talking about. Mind you, she is a woman, so can't say I expected anything less.
Original post by Laomedeia
I trust this persons judgment, there is absolutely no concern from me about the potential for bias.

Lol of course I'm biased.
Original post by cartman
I've just watched this weeks episode and can't believe that gay guy got the car. I personally thought the girl was a much safer driver. That guy on the other-hand drove through a red light. I'm convinced that traffic officer has no idea what she's talking about. Mind you, she is a woman, so can't say I expected anything less.

Offending two people in one post, well done.
Reply 76
Original post by yellowcopter
Offending two people in one post, well done.

Whom have I offended?
Original post by cartman
Whom have I offended?

You offended crap drivers and crap police officers. I think
Reply 78
Original post by Runninground
I saw that episode. The girl hadn't a clue where she was going either. Inexperienced driver + not knowing where to go + not knowing the road layout + busy (rush hour?) = obviously going to make mistakes. I'm sure there are many many new drivers who have had worse 'near misses' than that, it's just part of learning to drive.

I think it's one of those programmes that seemed good when they sat around discussing it, but turned out to be terrible when it came to actually making it. The drivers go on two (?) long trips and make only two or three mistakes. That's pretty good for someone who is driving a car they aren't used to and haven't driven for a few months!:tongue:

As I've said, you are allowed 15 minors on your actual test, but the sort of mistakes the people on this show were making would result in an instant failure. They aren't just "small" mistakes. Even if your driving in an area you've never driven before, you should know that you should never cut across a crossroads like that. The thing I should mention too is the girl didn't even know what she did wrong. That is the worrying part.
As that ex traffic officer has a zero tolerance to drinking any alcohol before driving, I wonder how she got home after that glass of champagne when Matt found out he was getting a car..

Also, about making mistakes.. Fair enough everyone makes them, but most don't need a close encounter with a bus to realise they shouldn't run red lights!

Quick Reply

Latest