Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been accepted to a college and I've always been anxious about the jump between GCSE and A-Level. I want to go to Cambridge and the fact that anything lower than an A isn't even noticeable startles me. What would be the best way to get prepared for A-Levels so I can do well? Am I the only one who worries or are there others?

Just wanted to know if anybody could clarify the answer for me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Depends vastly on what subjects you're taking. Getting a solid set of GCSEs (A*s and As if you're going for Cambridge) and not forgetting everything you know over summer is a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    Depends vastly on what subjects you're taking. Getting a solid set of GCSEs (A*s and As if you're going for Cambridge) and not forgetting everything you know over summer is a good start.
    I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics at A-Level and I want to do Computer Science at Uni

My school isn't really known for "academics" at the moment and I am predicted:

IFS- A*
    Maths- A*
    English- A (A* hopefully!)
    Science- B(Core) and A(A* if I was to resit Biology) (Additional)
    ICT- Double Distinction (BTEC)
    Business Studies- Pass (BTEC)
    Geography- B

Will my chances be hindered because my oppourtunites of GCSE's are short with only 6?:eek: I really hope thats not the case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics at A-Level and I want to do Computer Science at Uni

My school isn't really known for "academics" at the moment and I am predicted:

IFS- A*
    Maths- A*
    English- A (A* hopefully!)
    Science- B(Core) and A(A* if I was to resit Biology) (Additional)
    ICT- Double Distinction (BTEC)
    Business Studies- Pass (BTEC)
    Geography- B

Will my chances be hindered because my oppourtunites of GCSE's are short with only 6?:eek: I really hope thats not the case...
    You'll have a lower than average set of GCSEs for Cambridge applicants but if your AS UMS is really high then it might balance it out.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try to buy some textbooks early (the ones you'll be using in college) and study them through the holidays, while also revising GCSE material. Then you'll have a noticeable 'leg up' from everyone else in your classes.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have a lower than average set of GCSEs for Cambridge applicants but if your AS UMS is really high then it might balance it out.
    So something along the lines of 85% plus throughout then?
    What about w/e? I don't know any gaming companies within Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    So something along the lines of 85% plus throughout then?
    What about w/e? I don't know any gaming companies within Nottingham
    95%+ in maths, fm and physics ideally. Work experience isn't as important especially because comp sci work experience isn't generally related to the kind of stuff you'll be studying. It's not like medicine. There are other things you can do to add to your personal statement that are slightly more relevant, Project Euler, for example.

ReputationRep:
    95%+ in maths, fm and physics ideally. Work experience isn't as important especially because comp sci work experience isn't generally related to the kind of stuff you'll be studying. It's not like medicine. There are other things you can do to add to your personal statement that are slightly more relevant, Project Euler, for example.
    Thanks, that clarifies a few things. But if w/e is not necessarily relevant then what can I do at college to boost my CV?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that clarifies a few things. But if w/e is not necessarily relevant then what can I do at college to boost my CV?
    D of E, as many maths/physics challenges/olympiads as possible, maths or science tutoring, things that demonstrate leadership and teamwork like being a student union representative, playing a musical instrument etc. All of this will show them you're well rounded, but ultimately your grades matter most.

Their recommended general reading for CS is a good place to start with background reading, which you can also put in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea whether this is the right forum to post this on but meh. I just wanted some advice.

Basically I am doing my GCSE's now, and I have picked my A-levels but I can change them later on.

I chose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I love the first three. but im confused about french.

I have heard it is super duper hard and I am in a dilemma as I dont know whether to pick French or ICT! I need help. Anyone doing AS French or AS ICT please tell me how you find them =)

Been predicted A's in both. Got A's in all my ICT coursework and for French I got A*'s in my 2 speakings and A's in my 2 writings.

Much loves<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medskarim)
    I have no idea whether this is the right forum to post this on but meh. I just wanted some advice.

Basically I am doing my GCSE's now, and I have picked my A-levels but I can change them later on.

I chose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I love the first three. but im confused about french.

I have heard it is super duper hard and I am in a dilemma as I dont know whether to pick French or ICT! I need help. Anyone doing AS French or AS ICT please tell me how you find them =)

Been predicted A's in both. Got A's in all my ICT coursework and for French I got A*'s in my 2 speakings and A's in my 2 writings.

Much loves<3
    I think French. Its a language and it'll look stronger than ICT. It would balance out the science and arts classes too.

I personally think French but its up to you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.