The Student Room Group

AS English Lit Exam

Hi,
I'm studying Auden and Rossetti for verse and Hosseini - Kite Runner, Fitzgerald - Great Gatsby for prose.

I'd like to know if anyone else is in the same boat and which poems/novels you're going/likely to write about on section a/b?

It'd be a great help

Thanks! :smile:

Oh and my exam is on the 17th of May so 'freaking out' is an understatement

Scroll to see replies

I am not doing the exact same things as you but I am doing Gatsby :smile: I basically plan to write on poetry for section A as its easier in my mind to do it that way as for how the story is told the poems give you a whole story rather than just a chapter to focus on (unless its a really long poem!) and I find this easier.

Also the style of questions for B I just find easier for Gatsby and my other prose (Enduring Love).

I'm so nervous too! One of my teachers is so mean and has made me lose all confidence in my English ability and also has set us so much homework that it is going to be hard to do any proper revision.

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by I like school
I am not doing the exact same things as you but I am doing Gatsby :smile: I basically plan to write on poetry for section A as its easier in my mind to do it that way as for how the story is told the poems give you a whole story rather than just a chapter to focus on (unless its a really long poem!) and I find this easier.

Also the style of questions for B I just find easier for Gatsby and my other prose (Enduring Love).

I'm so nervous too! One of my teachers is so mean and has made me lose all confidence in my English ability and also has set us so much homework that it is going to be hard to do any proper revision.

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey there, i'm also doing English lit. How are you revising for it ?:smile:
Reply 3
Hey guys! Which paper are you doing? I did LITB1 with Gatsby, Kite Runner, Browning & Rossetti and can help anyone that needs it? This year I'm doing LITB3 with Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber & Dr Faustus.

Good luck all.
Heya!

Personally I am writing out things for form, structure, setting, language, voice etc. for how the story is told (I am doing Frost and Browning btw) for the poems. I am rereading the texts again, and then doing past papers, pretty much like crazy. Do you have any good ideas how to revise this paper beyond that? And Luke if you have any good pointers for Gatsby or Browning I would love to hear them as I need all the help I can get!

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Heya!

Personally I am writing out things for form, structure, setting, language, voice etc. for how the story is told (I am doing Frost and Browning btw) for the poems. I am rereading the texts again, and then doing past papers, pretty much like crazy. Do you have any good ideas how to revise this paper beyond that? And Luke if you have any good pointers for Gatsby or Browning I would love to hear them as I need all the help I can get!

xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam board are you studying?
Original post by luke2511
What exam board are you studying?

I am studying... (had to go look as had no idea) with AQA
Is that the same as the one you studied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I am taking the AQA exam for English Lit this year too :smile:
I am probably going to write about the Great Gatsby for Part A (the two part question where the second question is a debate style question?) and for Part B I'll write about the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Birdsong and Frost's poems.
It is really difficult to revise for English but I'm going to look through the past papers and just generally read through the texts and make sure I know where good quotes are etc.
What other things are people gunna do?
Reply 8
I am studying... (had to go look as had no idea) with AQA
Is that the same as the one you studied?

I did AQA Spec B. If your Aa question is "How is the story told in chapter x" I have a powerpoint which goes through the form, structure and language for each chapter of Gatsby, albeit they're a bit basic! If you want this I can send it to you.
Reply 9
Original post by lisa96
I'm doing the same texts as you, but not doing Kite Runner but Small Island instead. Do you have any notes that you could send me ? in particular Gatsby Ab ? Thank you :smile: x

I'm doing Small Island for the coursework essay. What exam board are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by lisa96
I'm doing the same texts as you, but not doing Kite Runner but Small Island instead. Do you have any notes that you could send me ? in particular Gatsby Ab ? Thank you :smile: x

Nothing for Ab sorry - I'm not sure how people actually revise for it because it could be anything!! I just looked at themes and characters but I don't have any notes on the characters for this. The CPG Great Gastby book is goo though - I think it's aimed at undergraduates but there is definitely some useful info in it!

If you PM me your email address I can send you the little I have on Gatsby Aa if this is any use for you.
Reply 11
I made a guide for this exam back before Christmas for those who retook it in January, it is in this thread, 5 posts down: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2167542&highlight=aspects+of+narrative

Might be useful for you all :smile:
Original post by lisa96

Thanks i'll pm u my email. Do you have any notes on Rossetti and Browning as well?

I might have some for specific poems if you let me know what ones you're writing about :h:
Reply 13
Original post by lisa96
For rosetti i'm doing Maude Clare, Sister Maude, Jessie Cameron, Cousin Kate, and Goblin Market

and for Browning Porphyria's Lover, The Patriot, My Last Duchess, Fra Lippo Lippi, The Pied Piper, and the Laboratory :smile:

I've just sent you some Gatsby and Goblin Market stuff. If I can find anything for Browning's Porphyria, Patriot or Duchess I'll send them over.
Original post by lisa96
For rosetti i'm doing Maude Clare, Sister Maude, Jessie Cameron, Cousin Kate, and Goblin Market

and for Browning Porphyria's Lover, The Patriot, My Last Duchess, Fra Lippo Lippi, The Pied Piper, and the Laboratory :smile:

I am doing Browning as well - don't suppose you have anything useful you could send me on The Pied Piper do you because our teacher has asked us to annotate it over the holidays and I don't know where to start and am getting really stressed out by other work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by lisa96
AQA Lit B. I hate small island so much. Have to re-read it again in easter. Theres barely any notes online either which doesnt help :frown:

Oh I'm on OCR. Small Island is such a good book :smile: I have a ton of notes from my teacher and the book is surprisingly easy to analyse - I could give you some notes if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you do kite runner just know I am SUPER jealous right now! I know that book inside out!
Btw is anyone doing enduring love as their text?
Original post by lisa96
Cousin Kate, Goblin Market

Porphyria's Lover, My Last Duchess

Wrote an essay on these four together and will find my notes for it :h:
Reply 19
Original post by lisa96
Its alright but its just too long!! lol. At my school were supposed to self study small island. the only thing i've done so far in class is analysing the opening of the book and looking at characters.

I would appreciate some notes, thankyou :biggrin: do you want me to PM you my email?

Yeah just do that. What subject do you want on the notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply