I am a 2nd year student and I know how important saving money is. Here, I'll reveal all regarding cheap recipes! I will also take requests as to how to make something that is usually expensive cheap. I'm up for a challenge!
Watch this space x
Turn on thread page Beta
Jazzy's Gourmet Yet CHEAP Student Recipes! watch
- Thread Starter
- 30-03-2013 23:03
- Thread Starter
- 30-03-2013 23:11
HEALTHY MEXICAN MINCE. Makes 4 portions.
- 2 white onions (red will become too sweet).
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- Just under 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 400g/500g of Turkey Thigh Mince. I bought mine for Morrisons and it cost £2.30.
- 1 sachet of Discovery Hot Fajita Mix.
- Jalapeno peppers (according to your spice-factor).
- Salt to season.
- Pitta bread, tortillas or basmati rice to serve.
1. Slice the oinions and fry them in the olive oil. Once translucent, add the garlic and salt according to taste.
2. Add the turkey mince.
3. Add the Fajita seasoning. Make sure the turkey catches a brown/golden colour. You may need to add some water to loosen the mixture and stop it from catching. This is fine but make sure that the water has evaporated before leaving the mix to simmer.
4. Add the salt.
5. Add the jalapeno peppers according to how spicy you like your dishes. I use about 50g of them to give a super-kick, but I can eat a Scotch Bonnet raw!
6. Add about 100ml boiled water to the mix and allow it to simmer for 15-20 mins on a low heat on the hob until the water has reduced down but not completely evaporated.
7. Serve with pitta bread, rice or tortillas and enjoy!
- 31-03-2013 17:16
It might be nice if you include an "average price" to go with the meals too?!
Great recipe so far.
- 31-03-2013 17:25
Interesting idea for a thread. Dunno if it counts as gourmet, but I'll scan in a recipe for chocolate brownies when I find some time.