Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a re-app with offers of AAA from both establishments.
    I was wondering what the pros and cons are, in your opinion, for each of these universities for Veterinary Medicine and if someone could clearly explain the changes being made to the Liverpool course for this year.
    Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by schizopear)
    i wrote a pro/con list for RVC in the 2013 applicants thread - i think it is on the second to last page at the moment
    I've done a big bumper thread, could you possibly answer the points in there when you have time? thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AriesHamburger)
    I am a re-app with offers of AAA from both establishments.
    I was wondering what the pros and cons are, in your opinion, for each of these universities for Veterinary Medicine and if someone could clearly explain the changes being made to the Liverpool course for this year.
    Thank you.
    I only know some of the changes I'm afraid, but what I know:
    • Clinical skills lab- timetable your own skill sessions and work towards year 1 and year 2 skills throughout with tests along the way. This will link up with years 3 and 4. Older years have the responsibility of teaching the younger years the new skills and so many are 'bookable' for certain skills. Skills include auscultation, suturing and knot tying, bandaging to name a few.
    • Apparently more animal handling in first year. I don't know if this is an actual change but going to find out for sure at some point . It includes spending an afternoon a week in the on campus SA vets.
    • Changes to work experience PCEMS requirements- no more reports need to be done, and I think they're introduction an animal handling testing component. You can now tailor the PCEMS more towards you with being able to choose more where you do PCEMS with less strict requirements at each place and a chance to start some CEMS in first/second year.
    • Modules change every year based on feedback. For our year they've also increased the number of rotation weeks by 12 weeks to cope with the larger year groups and focus more on some 'niche' areas like exotics.

This is all I know so far I'm afraid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Other good points about Liverpool vet school:

- We've been told that for the new intake, they will be trying to merge clinical and preclincal stuff more from year one, which seems like a positive step forward
    - We have a good support system if you're struggling: peer support, and also buddies (you get assigned to an older year who's your buddy and is you port of call for any questions)
    - Like RVC, you move out to the countryside (Neston areas, where Leahurst campus is) in years 4 & 5 so you can get the best of both worlds

Otherwise skatealexia has mentioned loads of other good points.

More generally, in terms of Liverpool city:

- It's much cheaper than London
    - Fewer vets than London, so I imagine it's easier to recognise faces in your year and be a bit more tight-nit (not dissing RVC in any way by the way, I'm sure lots of people form good friendship groups there)
    - Lots of good places to go out to suit you
    - Lots of things to visit in / near the city (museums, galleries, the docks, not too far from beaches etc)
    - In halls you aren't just with vets which has its pros and cons

Let me know if you have any questions you'd like to ask about Liverpool. Where ever you go I'm sure you will enjoy it. Both are fantastic vet schools and have cities that offer a lot. Well done on your offers! and good luck with your exams!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.