Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

So I just had to put down GRR Martin's 'A Storm of Swords'... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Humongous, earth-shattering, spoilers in this thread.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Red Wedding. :nooo:

It felt like it was building towards it but it wouldn't actually happen, which is probably stupid of me considering how the author has dealt with other characters.

But still, I didn't think the Starks would suffer again like this, that too with 2 major characters. I felt a huge tingling sensation when Catelyn felt the chainmail under the guard, you knew something bad was coming... and with the way Grey Wind reacted before he was chained up. It just felt so brutal. Made me really angry.

Jesus ****ing Christ. I have never felt this way about absolutely anything I have seen in a film or read in a book.

I think my feelings are between being distraught and angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffled Snuffles)

Spoiler:
    Show

It felt like it was building towards it but it wouldn't actually happen, which is probably stupid of me considering how the author has dealt with other characters.

But still, I didn't think the Starks would suffer again like this, that too with 2 major characters. I felt a huge tingling sensation when Catelyn felt the chainmail under the guard, you knew something bad was coming... and with the way Grey Wind reacted before he was chained up. It just felt so brutal. Made me really angry.

Jesus ****ing Christ. I have never felt this way about absolutely anything I have seen in a film or read in a book.

I'm sooo tempted to read the spoilers but i wont, I hope the mother of dragons is doing okay ='[

ReputationRep:
    Haha I know exactly how you feel. I read that part 2/3 times to make sure I was reading it right.

ReputationRep:
    Is this from he first part (steel and snow), or the second (blood and gold?). I've read the first half and not the second...

Wanna know if I can open the spoiler or not...

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

the pain will eventually go away my friend.... until you get to the next earth shattering event

I already knew of said event when it happened, it was still pretty shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinytadpoletim)
    Is this from he first part (steel and snow), or the second (blood and gold?). I've read the first half and not the second...

I'm pretty sure it's from the second half, but I'm not a 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  23986325.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  36knwd.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  42.6 KB

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the television adaptation? I've loved the books like nothing else, and I kinda don't want anything to spoil it, even though I've heard its pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    Keep going!! It can't get any worse

I think that book is my favorite out of the five despite/maybe because of how powerful that bit and the ending are.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

I had the rains of castamere stuck in my head for a good week afterwards...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)
    Keep going!! It can't get any worse

I think that book is my favorite out of the five despite/maybe because of how powerful that bit and the ending are.
    I think it's easily the best in the series so far. So much happens in it. It's a big ****ing book and I read it in four days.

ReputationRep:

It's about 100 pages into the second part if memory serves. And trust me, you'd know exactly what he was talking about without the need to read the spoiler if you'd read that part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    It's about 100 pages into the second part if memory serves. And trust me, you'd know exactly what he was talking about without the need to read the spoiler if you'd read that part.
    Thanks, I won't open it then!! I've also heard that the last two books aren't as good as the others. Do you have an opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I won't open it then!! I've also heard that the last two books aren't as good as the others. Do you have an opinion on this?
    Yeah I would agree with that, more so with A Feast For Crows, both books happen simultaneously but GRRM decided to divide the characters based on geographical location, and in my opinion AFFC gets the slightly less interesting set of characters than A Dance With Dragons.

Kind of like how AGOT and ACOK both build up to ASOS, AFFC and ADWD are apparently building up to TWOW.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it! I was like :eek: when reading it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would agree with that, more so with A Feast For Crows, both books happen simultaneously but GRRM decided to divide the characters based on geographical location, and in my opinion AFFC gets the slightly less interesting set of characters than A Dance With Dragons.

Kind of like how AGOT and ACOK both build up to ASOS, AFFC and ADWD are apparently building up to TWOW.
    I thought a Feast For Crows was actually pretty awful.

Iron Islands- Soooo Boring!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked some bits in a Dance with Dragons, good endings and some excellent Ayra Stark Chapters. Her last chapter is probably my favorite chapter in the series and to be honest can probably be read standalone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)
    I thought a Feast For Crows was actually pretty awful.

Iron Islands- Soooo Boring!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked some bits in a Dance with Dragons, good endings and some excellent Ayra Stark Chapters. Her last chapter is probably my favorite chapter in the series and to be honest can probably be read standalone.
    I read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and a Storm of Swords in less than a month, but then took like three/four months to slog through AFFC.

(AFFC Spoilers)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I actually thought the Iron Islands wasn't too bad, (I quite like Victarion) neither was Dorne, with my favourite chapters being Jaime and Arya's, but in general there was a lot less happening for every character which just made it kind of dull.

Brienne's chapters were definitely the worst for me, especially when you'd finish a chapter and the next one would be a Sansa chapter, just to remind you that Brienne was travelling in the complete wrong direction and achieving nothing. Cersei's chapters were interesting at first as she was a new POV, but the general lack of events just made it boring before long. Sansa's chapters were okay I suppose, at least you got to learn more of Littlefinger's plan.

ReputationRep:
    I read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and a Storm of Swords in less than a month, but then took like three/four months to slog through AFFC.

(AFFC Spoilers)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I actually thought the Iron Islands wasn't too bad, (I quite like Victarion) neither was Dorne, with my favourite chapters being Jaime and Arya's, but in general there was a lot less happening for every character which just made it kind of dull.

Brienne's chapters were definitely the worst for me, especially when you'd finish a chapter and the next one would be a Sansa chapter, just to remind you that Brienne was travelling in the complete wrong direction and achieving nothing. Cersei's chapters were interesting at first as she was a new POV, but the general lack of events just made it boring before long. Sansa's chapters were okay I suppose, at least you got to learn more of Littlefinger's plan.
    Yep some characters are definitely more interesting than others.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I really liked some of the Jamie chapters over the last few books and began to respect him a bit more I must say.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  23986325.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  36knwd.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  42.6 KB

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the television adaptation? I've loved the books like nothing else, and I kinda don't want anything to spoil it, even though I've heard its pretty good...
    It makes other fantasy literature quite disappointing in comparison.

Television adaptation is really good and adapted really well in most cases. And there are some added/changed scenes which enhance the story.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

This video may help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUKDZFiy-A

I didn't even think that was the most suprising part of the book. It gets more intense.

ReputationRep:
    It's such a great feeling that a book would drive that level of feeling. I was exactly the same when I got to that part, I hadn't spoiled it by reading up online, and when it happened...

though right now that's nothing compared to...

ADWD Spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the anticipation of finding out Jon's fate, after the events of ADWD. I'm suspecting, but not hoping his fate will be similar to Catelyn's. I made the mistake of reading up speculation after this one, and there are so many ideas floating around... I just want to find out! :mad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.