Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Slight mistake on my insurance - should I correct it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was about to buy a car today so stupidly I bought the insurance before I went to get the car and it turned out there was a problem with the car and I would have to pick it up on Tuesday.

On the insurance I put I bought the car in march 2013, however I will now
    Not own the car until Tuesday (April)

Could this come back to bite me or does it not really matter? Shall I phone them up and correct it?

ReputationRep:
    Did you put a deposit down on it?

ReputationRep:
    On the car? Yes, £100 which meant they took it out of sale so I definitely knew I would be buying it

ReputationRep:
    You're meant to buy the insurance in advance so you can actually drive the car home.
    However you insurance the car for the day you're buying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    You're meant to buy the insurance in advance so you can actually drive the car home.
    However you insurance the car for the day you're buying it.
    That's the problem, I did believe I was buying it that day, but when I did the final inspection before buying I noticed a small problem which means I wont be able to get it until Tuesday because of bank holiday which means I will now be buying it in April instead of March.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, i'm pretty certain them details are just for checking the vehicle isn't stolen etc and that you don't try make a dodgy claim

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihaveaquestion)
    I was about to buy a car today so stupidly I bought the insurance before I went to get the car and it turned out there was a problem with the car and I would have to pick it up on Tuesday.

Could this come back to bite me or does it not really matter? Shall I phone them up and correct it?
    If possible, put down a date in March on the V5C (log book) and sales receipt (if any) as the date of transfer/sale if you haven't already filled in either of these. Otherwise, ring up your insurance company and tell them that there's been a genuine mistake. It may change your premium though.

ReputationRep:
    Ring them and ask, better safe than sorry. They may correct it for free.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. It's only a few days. If it was a few months or years, then obviously you'd change it because they would think you're used to the car and you're comfortable driving it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihaveaquestion)

If you want to get technical with it all and call them then I would. They ask the purchase date to determine how used to the car you are. Call them as just in case you needed insurance and a small chance they said no we can't pay out. It shouldn't adjust the price of the insurance so if that's your concern. Call them; let us know what they say :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Id tell them just to be on the safe side, but i dont think it will make much difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.