Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Would it be better for everyone if we didn't keep time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    as in have clocks and such.

this burning question hit me 2 minutes ago as i watched my computer clock tick over from 00:59 to 02:00, and for a moment i was distraught at having 'lost an hour of my life' - which is ridiculous as i lost no time at all... the clock just changed.

to sum up: for too long have clocks been a source of confusion and distress to all. let us do away with all time-keeping devices and rely solely on the position of the sun as a reference point.

ReputationRep:
    Time is incredibly important. From a medical viewpoint, for example, it allows doctors to see how long a patient has had symptoms for diagnosis.
    More simply, it allows us to be organised, and it's a way that everyone can be on the same page e.g. meeting at 1pm, school at 8:30am etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're getting mixed up with your computer clock going from 23:59 to 02:00 confusing, and clocks themselves being confusing. Come on.

ReputationRep:
    Its one of those things that we really don't need but do at the same time and it's frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    DST seems kind of pointless :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss...)
    Time is incredibly important. From a medical viewpoint, for example, it allows doctors to see how long a patient has had symptoms for diagnosis.
    More simply, it allows us to be organised, and it's a way that everyone can be on the same page e.g. meeting at 1pm, school at 8:30am etc.
    i see your first point. my proposal may need fine tuning in that respect.

in the second part of your post i would substitute the word 'allows' for 'forces'

imagine not being bound by the clock, only doing things when you're good and ready to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zz_)
    imagine not being bound by the clock, only doing things when you're good and ready to
    Me: So when will you be over?

Plumber: Soon!

[5 hours later]

Me: It's been... err.. ages!

Plumber: No it hasn't!

Me: I've been waiting ages! Being unable to start anything! Why couldn't you have said you'd be over at a certain time?!

Plumber: .... Certain time?

Me: Yeah, like, that you'll be over when the sun is at a 70 degree angle, and I could keep going outside with a protractor to check if I'm able to nip down to the supermarket without risking missing you.

Plumber: I miss my watch. ):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Me: So when will you be over?

Plumber: Soon!

[5 hours later]

Me: It's been... err.. ages!

Plumber: No it hasn't!

Me: I've been waiting ages! Being unable to start anything! Why couldn't you have said you'd be over at a certain time?!

Plumber: .... Certain time?

Me: Yeah, like, that you'll be over when the sun is at a 70 degree angle, and I could keep going outside with a protractor to check if I'm able to nip down to the supermarket without risking missing you.

Plumber: I miss my watch. ):
    perhaps it would force us to be more self-sufficient. i see nothing but positives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zz_)
    perhaps it would force us to be more self-sufficient. i see nothing but positives.
    But I like having electricity, and running water, and heating, and an oven, and deliveries, and doctors, and restaurants, etc. Wouldn't be able to do this without time.
    Also there'd be the issue with work. It's okay if you're self-employed, but as soon as a group of people work together, they need a structure to make sure that they are putting in the same hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zz_)
    i see your first point. my proposal may need fine tuning in that respect.

in the second part of your post i would substitute the word 'allows' for 'forces'

Agreed with the substitution bit.

But doing things when you want disrupts others as well (for example if you're working) as one of the previous posters suggested.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it feels like most don't keep the time.. They are always late :rolleyes:

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.