Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ​Hi everyone!

So I just have some questions and would like some clarification. I don't mean to sound ignorant as I see questions like this all of the time with people requesting others not to ask something like this but I need just that little bit more assurance.

So I have received my offer from Exeter for Economics and Finance AAA or AA and Welsh Baccalaureate(SP?). Anyway, the real reason I applied to this course was for two reasons; supposedly better for employment (compared to straight economics) and I thought I'd play a game of numbers as I didn't expect an offer at all so when I applied I though I would apply to a course with slightly less applicants applying.

If I told you that I would like a career in maybe like a career in MO banking in a BB (I know it's deemed to be unlikely, at least by the comments on TSR but I have some aspirations) or risk managements and such would you think that Economics and Finance is better for creating opportunity or straight Economics? Consider all things to be equal ie: enjoyment etc. In pure employment possibilities what do you think is the more favourable course?

Also, what course would YOU choose?

btw I acknowledge that you may require more information but I don't want to give too much away as it may alter your own opinions and I want to know what YOU guys think if you were in my position.
    Thank you in advance and I really appreciate any and all advice/guidance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabilC18)
    ​Hi everyone!

So I just have some questions and would like some clarification. I don't mean to sound ignorant as I see questions like this all of the time with people requesting others not to ask something like this but I need just that little bit more assurance.

So I have received my offer from Exeter for Economics and Finance AAA or AA and Welsh Baccalaureate(SP?). Anyway, the real reason I applied to this course was for two reasons; supposedly better for employment (compared to straight economics) and I thought I'd play a game of numbers as I didn't expect an offer at all so when I applied I though I would apply to a course with slightly less applicants applying.

If I told you that I would like a career in maybe like a career in MO banking in a BB (I know it's deemed to be unlikely, at least by the comments on TSR but I have some aspirations) or risk managements and such would you think that Economics and Finance is better for creating opportunity or straight Economics? Consider all things to be equal ie: enjoyment etc. In pure employment possibilities what do you think is the more favourable course?

Also, what course would YOU choose?

btw I acknowledge that you may require more information but I don't want to give too much away as it may alter your own opinions and I want to know what YOU guys think if you were in my position.
    Thank you in advance and I really appreciate any and all advice/guidance
    I think they're equally employable, and so in your position I would pick the course with the structure that suits me best. I'd rather do Econ/Fin, provided that the course was flexible, mostly for the sake of variety.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. Currently when looking at the courses they are very similar the first couple of years and really I would probably enjoy a mix. For example I'm not interested in the accounting side of the course whatsoever but I feel that straight economics has some courses that I don't think is very desirable such as history of econ and such. In that case I would like a maths based course.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else willing to provide some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make a scrap of difference which course you choose.

For front office you would be hard pushed from Exeter. For middle office, you have a chance; bulge brackets cast their nets further for BO and MO employees - I met people from City, Leeds Met, QMUL, Leicester etc on my BB BO internship. You will have to be one of the best at Exeter in terms of extra-curriculars, work experience, knowledge of the industry, commercial awareness, interview technique etc to get in though, so focus on those skills and build up your CV once you get there.

ReputationRep:
    Check whether you can do a placement with your degree?

Long term placements will be your best bet for getting into FO at BB.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.