Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Relationships and University Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    My ex broke up with me over fb chat...
    Thats ****ing brutal :/ sorry to hear that man.

ReputationRep:
    Every relationship is different. Nobody can say if it will / won't work, but there's no harm in trying.

My boyfriend and I had been together for two and a half years before he went to uni (I'm on a gap year) so there was no reason for us not to try. We had our three year anniversary in March, and we've never been stronger.
    The key is good communication. Before he left we already had a routine, and we've kept that up. I visit him every two weeks and I've also got to know his uni friends so I'm not left in the dark when he tells me anecdotes etc.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to last for ever. Things can go wrong, and in September I'll be moving to Scotland and we'll be 6 hours apart instead of 1 and a half.. but our relationship is wonderful at the moment so where's the harm in at least trying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBean1994)
    Thats ****ing brutal :/ sorry to hear that man.
    its alright really... she kissed her ex that night and told me like an hour later... waiting until i saw her would have meant keeping it from me for at least 12 hours or so... it was just circumstance

though i do suspect that she didn't ring me so that she could detach herself from the situation somewhat... she wouldn't let me go round to see her "in case it influenced her decision"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmsavk)
    I'm 16 yo male... I've met this guy, he's proper decent, we get along pretty well... He's a year older than me and will be going to Uni soon while I'm in school doing my a levels, wut do? Can it work out?
    He's a proper nice guy and he's called Dewi and he's from Wales and there's not a single thing about him I don't like. He's got the cutest sense of humour/laugh/smile/personality/everything! I think he's a keeper... :cool:
    Should we give it up or see if it works out?

Do it!! Honestly, some people can be all doom and gloom about long distance relationships but they really do work!

My boyfriend went to uni last september while i stayed home and finished sixth form. At first it was quite hard not seeing him for a month,and we argued a lot but after I went to stay for a weekend it was fine and is so much easier now!

A little bit of trust goes a long way So long as you're both good to each other there's no reason why it won't work!

ReputationRep:
    Mine's going with me, not to study but to be in the police
    We've been together for almost two years so I'm hoping we'll be fine ^_^

ReputationRep:
    On a more positive note, I was with my bf for 18 months before I went to uni last sept, and we've managed first year and came out just as strong.

Not saying it's going to last the next 2, cuz you never know, but people do make it work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Ehh.. no :K: :ninja:
    You definitely are called Dewi, and your from Cardiff lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSamm)
    You definitely are called Dewi, and your from Cardiff lol
    Just a coincidence

Once when I was in a club a guy approached me and I told him I had a bf. He said "so what he won't know". I said "but I loooove him" (I was drunk) and then I said "if you ever love a girl you'll be glad this happened". And I think I actually got to him, because he looked really ashamed/embarassed the rest of the night!

LDRs can work. I've been in one for over 3 years now! And I still love my boyfriend and I'm still really happy to be with him. Even when we aren't together it's an investment for the future, and for every time we spend together, and every conversation we have. A good relationship is like a diamond, it's precious and should be viewed us such. Even if you can't wear it most of the time, just knowing it's there, so beautiful and precious, is enough to make you feel good - and of course you do get to wear it now and then. Hook ups and flings are like costume jewellery by comparison. I wouldn't trade someone as amazing as my boyfriend for anyone or anything in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Just a coincidence
    Liar!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.