Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting university this September, so I'm just curious.

I'll be doing Japanese, so wouldn't use one for the language lessons, but the other half of my degree will be humanities like religion, history of Japan, culture, etc.

Do a lot of people use them in lectures? Or is the typing too annoying for others? ^^

ReputationRep:
    Can't comment on whether it's annoying because I've never seen someone use them in lectures (I do Maths so it isn't practically to take notes with one,) but I think it's common for people to use laptops in lectures, so you probably won't be the only one doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Only if they spend the whole lecture on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't use a laptop in lectures for the first term fearing that it would be disruptive/annoying but after realising that the noise from typing is no louder than people tapping pens, ripping out pages, texting etc. I started bringing my laptop to most lectures. Obviously if you're using it for fb/twitter, youtube whatever it will be distracting to the people behind but otherwise I think it's fine to use and if you're a faster typer can be a much more productive form of note taking!

ReputationRep:
    I only find it annoying if people have very distracting things on their screens within my visual field, such as videos. It's just distracting, and they're clearly not learning anything anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me, though I'm one of the jerks at the back with my ipad playing temple run...

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me when we're learning something pretty important and all I can hear is someone typing in my ear behind me. I find it a little distracting. Again if they're in front of me and have something they shouldn't have on their screen - that is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna bring my laptop, sit in front of people, open Microsoft Word, change the font size big enough for people behind me to read and type in 'I know your watching me'.

ReputationRep:
    I use a netbook so it's not as distracting for the people behind me (although I usually sit towards the back anyway because that's where the plug sockets are if I run out of battery on a long day). I'd say as long as you are actually taking notes (Facebook/Twitter only for if the lecturer gives you a break - we have a lot of 2 hour lectures so I often check fb when they give us a 5 minute break) and you don't slam the keys as you type, it shouldn't be a problem.
    I started bringing my netbook because of a problem in my hands that makes it impossible for me to write, and now about 1/4 of the lecture theatre is typing away and the only complaint is when people are on Facebook etc.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who use their laptops in lectures spend the entire time on Facebook anyway.

For me, it's good ol' fashioned pen and paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    I'm gonna bring my laptop, sit in front of people, open Microsoft Word, change the font size big enough for people behind me to read and type in 'I know your watching me'.
    Hope you're not studying English at university.

ReputationRep:
    That is brilliant idea. I am going to attempt this in one of my lectures!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, tapping away, wittering, and seat kicking are all annoying, I thought we were supposed to be safe near the front, apparently not:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Nearly 60% of the people in my lecture bring in laptops. It isn't annoying, and it doesn't block my view of the lecturer or anything. However, there is always that one person watching crazy YouTube videos, playing online games, which gets distracting for a while, but then you snap out of it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt9210)
    I'm starting university this September, so I'm just curious.

I'll be doing Japanese, so wouldn't use one for the language lessons, but the other half of my degree will be humanities like religion, history of Japan, culture, etc.

Do a lot of people use them in lectures? Or is the typing too annoying for others? ^^
    One of my friend studies in the humanities side of things, and quite a bit of people bring in laptops. But I guess it depends on the uni, lecture room, lecture, module, etc. The typing is hardly noticeable (well from my experience), unless you're concentrating really hard on hearing the typing! :P

ReputationRep:
    What if they try to correct your grammar? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    What if they try to correct your grammar? :P
    'Please look towards the front of the lecture instead of watching me playing Angry Birds'.

ReputationRep:
    It's only annoying when you sit behind someone with a laptop who is shamelessly playing solitaire, browsing facebook, watching funny cats on YouTube etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    It's only annoying when you sit behind someone with a laptop who is shamelessly playing solitaire, browsing facebook, watching funny cats on YouTube etc.
    You clearly haven't seen a cat in a sock.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there working it doesn't bother me. I hate in when the person in front is on facebook or playing a game though it's really distracting.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.