Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have an offer for two internships this summer.

The first is a IT support engineer position which mainly consists of 1st line support of 25 iMac systems and general office hardware.

The second is working with a company that provides salesforce consulting for businesses. The job role will be a lot of data migration and backend work to change current systems businesses use to salesforce.

I am starting my MSc in CIS in October and plan to apply for IT consultancy/assurance.

Which internship would be more suitable for the job role which I am going to apply to? Keeping in mind the second is much more technical, would this give me more advantage over the first (general support for mac)?

DarkSky

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure which would look best to employers at first glance although I'll give you my thoughts on what they might be like.

I haven't used salesforce before but I have done migrations. Depending on the amount of data involved and the format it's in, it's likely to be a case of kicking off a script and checking on it now and again to make sure it's still running. These scripts could take anywhere from seconds to months to complete. It does feel very rewarding though if you're able to find ways of speeding up the process, particularly since you could be dealing with software you've never seen before. Similarly with the backend work, you might need to make the same change to 50 different systems or it might be possible to automate parts of the process.

For the support job, if there are only 25 people you'll be helping then unless you're given extra projects to do in the meantime I'd say it's likely that you would have long periods of time (particularly in afternoons) where you're left sitting around doing nothing waiting for calls to come in. On the other hand, when calls do come in it can be very fast-paced (no-one likes sitting in front of a computer that won't work) and rewarding when you're able to solve people's problems.

I think overall the salesforce job might be more useful. This is based mainly on the fact that if the other one is dealing with only 25 systems then there may not be a lot for you to do. Also based on how you worded your question, you seem to be more interested in the salesforce one as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.