Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of buying a fast/high performing netbook - any suggestions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, currently I have an Asus netbook that runs on a core-duo 1.86 Ghz and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

At the moment, although I love the size (very small), resolution (just perfect), battery (very long), HDD (more than enough) but the speed of this machine is not that great : /

Booting this device and letting everything settles down after the desktop is launched can take minutes. Launching Explorer and other applications is not that swift, which is something that I find annoying : /

I have a very old desktop (almost 10 years) and that machine can run faster than this device lol.

ATM, I don't have a definite budget for a new netbook, but any suggestions/experience for a fast/high performing netbook is welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I used an Asus netbook too until quite recently, it was dreadful and I was glad to get rid of it. How much would you be willing to spend on a new computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    I used an Asus netbook too until quite recently, it was dreadful and I was glad to get rid of it. How much would you be willing to spend on a new computer?
    Ha! I thought I was the only one

How do you find it dreadful?

As I said, I won't impose the budget yet; just want to know what's available out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Ha! I thought I was the only one

How do you find it dreadful?

As I said, I won't impose the budget yet; just want to know what's available out there.
    Painfully slow, it felt like it couldn't handle Windows 7 and crashed loads-launching a browser would take a while, and it would really struggle if I had a few tabs open. Also, I didn't like the small screen or keyboard, and the trackpad was so cheap that after a year you could see it was worn out! The battery on mine was pretty bad too, it didn't last much longer than an hour when fully charged.

I got a MacBook Pro to replace it which I would say is the best laptop available, though again it depends how much you want to spend as to what you should buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Painfully slow, it felt like it couldn't handle Windows 7 and crashed loads-launching a browser would take a while, and it would really struggle if I had a few tabs open. Also, I didn't like the small screen or keyboard, and the trackpad was so cheap that after a year you could see it was worn out! The battery on mine was pretty bad too, it didn't last much longer than an hour when fully charged.
    :five:

same-same.

The buttons on my trackpad have worn out and it's not even a year yet! :eek:
    Even with this one, loading Word or PPT can be :pinch:

I got a MacBook Pro to replace it which I would say is the best laptop available, though again it depends how much you want to spend as to what you should buy.
    Well, I prefer still a small laptop. I had a Compaq and it really hurt my back

Although I didn't mention the price, nothing extravagant would do.

A netbook but with the power of a large laptop; would that be reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    Late last year I was considering buying a netbook to replace my old first generation iPad, but wasn't that impressed with the choice of new netbooks available to buy and so decided to replace it with an iPad mini instead. Are less new netbooks being manufactured now due to tablets becoming more fashionable? Of the new netbooks I did consider, the Acer Aspire One and HP Mini netbooks looked the best that weren't pricier than about £300.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a high end netbook unfortunately

Try looking at ultrabooks in the 12-13" range. They are still light and easy to carry around and have the power and battery life of a full laptop/desktop. (not super high end gaming machines though :P )

Have a look at Lenovo. You can shop around and find them for under £500 with proper powerful specs. In my opinion it's worth paying the extra £250 or whatever just to get the extra power and portability/battery life. Lenovo are now the highest selling PC manufacturer worldwide and have the highest reliability in tests. Usually you can get their laptops for £200 under RRP. They are a bit more expensive compared to your bog standard heavy duty laptop but it's the portability and specs like i said that justify the extra cost of around £400-£500 for an ultrabook.

Plus it's cheaper than a MacBook and better spec in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    There are no high spec netbooks, they are limited to stuff like intel atom's, if you want portability and "Power" then go with a laptop. I wouldn't waste my money on things like that though and just buy a decent desktop with a SSD, fast boot times and lot of power. The money to power ratio on anything portable is horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Lenovo ideapad from laptops direct, £400 with 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, it's fantastic

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Swap your hdd for a solid state drive (ssd) that will certainly speed boot time. Whatever laptop you pick, my advise would be to leave room in your budget for a ssd. The things are immense. I run a 256gb ssd raid array on my desktop and have a boot time of about 5 seconds. Once logged in a can literally use the internet, with no lag, straight away. Ssd's are what you want if boot time and loading programs faster is are what you are after

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/133-a...-(64-bit)-cham

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...85000-iops-max

You could sell the 500gb hdd as well to recuperate some money :holmes::holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    There is no such thing as a high end netbook unfortunately
    I was thinking of this too

Try looking at ultrabooks in the 12-13" range. They are still light and easy to carry around and have the power and battery life of a full laptop/desktop. (not super high end gaming machines though :P )
    I will look into this; I think my current netbook is 10".

Have a look at Lenovo. You can shop around and find them for under £500 with proper powerful specs. In my opinion it's worth paying the extra £250 or whatever just to get the extra power and portability/battery life. Lenovo are now the highest selling PC manufacturer worldwide and have the highest reliability in tests. Usually you can get their laptops for £200 under RRP. They are a bit more expensive compared to your bog standard heavy duty laptop but it's the portability and specs like i said that justify the extra cost of around £400-£500 for an ultrabook.
    Interesting :holmes:

Plus it's cheaper than a MacBook and better spec in some cases.
    Ha. I don't think I'd be buying a MacBook; it's too much for me

(Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Late last year I was considering buying a netbook to replace my old first generation iPad, but wasn't that impressed with the choice of new netbooks available to buy and so decided to replace it with an iPad mini instead. Are less new netbooks being manufactured now due to tablets becoming more fashionable? Of the new netbooks I did consider, the Acer Aspire One and HP Mini netbooks looked the best that weren't pricier than about £300.

I considered an iPad but I need a physical keyboard to type.
    Tablets... hurm... that needs to be considered :holmes:

(Original post by CodeJack)
    There are no high spec netbooks, they are limited to stuff like intel atom's, if you want portability and "Power" then go with a laptop. I wouldn't waste my money on things like that though and just buy a decent desktop with a SSD, fast boot times and lot of power. The money to power ratio on anything portable is horrible.
    Well, I need something that I can carry to the library; I don't think a desktop is suitable for that

(Original post by Shengis14)
    I've got a Lenovo ideapad from laptops direct, £400 with 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, it's fantastic

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    How does it treat your back/hands? Is it heavy?

ReputationRep:
    Could an Android tablet and keyboard dock do what you need it to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I considered an iPad but I need a physical keyboard to type.
    Tablets... hurm... that needs to be considered :holmes:
    I regularly use my iPad mini to write articles, reviews and stories and the on-screen keyboard is fine for me. I actually got my old iPad as a present from my Dad, so it wasn't originally my idea to do lots of writing on an iPad using an on-screen keyboard; in fact, I was originally going to use a keyboard dock that I was also given alongside the iPad to do lots of writing. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I got used to the on-screen keyboard! Admittedly, not everyone might have that experience, but you can get physical keyboards (eg. Bluetooth keyboards and keyboard cases) for iPads. Perhaps the only big problem with such keyboards is that using Bluetooth might use up the iPad's battery relatively quickly (I say 'might' as I'm judging from other people's reported experiences, not my own).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Well, I need something that I can carry to the library; I don't think a desktop is suitable for that
    Ah it'll help develop your arm muscles :P

ASUS and Novatech laptops are two good companies that have laptops. Made with reliable components and usually good warranties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Could an Android tablet and keyboard dock do what you need it to do?
    Does it run Windows app e.g. Word, Excel, PPT, compiler, etc?

I regularly use my iPad mini to write articles, reviews and stories and the on-screen keyboard is fine for me. I actually got my old iPad as a present from my Dad, so it wasn't originally my idea to do lots of writing on an iPad using an on-screen keyboard; in fact, I was originally going to use a keyboard dock that I was also given alongside the iPad to do lots of writing. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I got used to the on-screen keyboard! Admittedly, not everyone might have that experience, but you can get physical keyboards (eg. Bluetooth keyboards and keyboard cases) for iPads. Perhaps the only big problem with such keyboards is that using Bluetooth might use up the iPad's battery relatively quickly (I say 'might' as I'm judging from other people's reported experiences, not my own).
    You make this sound so intriguing!

But the iPads don't run Windows applications such as Word, Excel, etc right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    But the iPads don't run Windows applications such as Word, Excel, etc right?
    True. But they do run similar apps made by Apple, including Pages (the equivalent of Word) and Numbers (the equivalent of Excel), and I think you can use the apps to email documents in the formats used by Word, Excel, etc. I know that you can definitely email documents written in Pages as .doc documents, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i wouldn't recommend a tablet if this is going to be used for work based stuff.

Too much faffing around, no physical keyboard, and you can't get microsoft word (the official version) on there, nor can you plug in usb memory sticks. (well you can but it involves a lot of work.) What i'm trying to say is using a tablet is good for certain things, but i don't think it'd benefit you here as there are too many limitations.

So i think you can rule out tablets. (unless you want to buy a windows tablet but the new ones cost like £1000 or something :eek:)

Have a look at ultrabooks, if you find one you like post it here and i'll see if i can find a good price/similar one at a lower price.

ReputationRep:
    True. But they do run similar apps made by Apple, including Pages (the equivalent of Word) and Numbers (the equivalent of Excel), and I think you can use the apps to email documents in the formats used by Word, Excel, etc. I know that you can definitely email documents written in Pages as .doc documents, anyway.
    Would I experience some formatting difficulties/issues if I were to transfer from iPad to Windows or vice verse?

(Original post by Sum Gai)
    To be honest i wouldn't recommend a tablet if this is going to be used for work based stuff.

Too much faffing around, no physical keyboard, and you can't get microsoft word (the official version) on there, nor can you plug in usb memory sticks. (well you can but it involves a lot of work. What i'm trying to say is using a tablet is good for certain things, but i don't think it'd benefit you here.

So i think you can rule out tablets. (unless you want to buy a windows tablet but the new ones cost like £1000 or something :eek:)
    :eek4:

Really!? I thought a tablet is basically a laptop but with a touch screen : /

Have a look at ultrabooks, if you find one you like post it here and i'll see if i can find a good price/similar one at a lower price.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Really!? I thought a tablet is basically a laptop but with a touch screen : /
    The most prevalent tablets on the market all use either iOS or Android, which are mobile operating systems as opposed to fully fledged computer OS's like Windows or OS X. There's a significant gap between the two when it comes to work-based functionality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.