Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What does the O-level tests contain and what is it comparison GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    I hope most students agree with me when I say that I hate the stigma against the GCSEs. Just because your sat your GCSE-equivalent exams 10+ years ago doesn't make them any harder.

How hard is it to accept that students now are cleverer than they were 10+ years ago?

This is supposedly a Cambridge O level paper:
    http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/..._w10_qp_11.pdf

I do not find the difficulty of this paper harder than the paper I sat last year for GCSE maths.
    I agree, the only noticeable difference in that matrices are included in alevel. It's not that the matrices given are hard though, so if it were taught I'd say this is like a standard gcse maths paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    I hope most students agree with me when I say that I hate the stigma against the GCSEs. Just because your sat your GCSE-equivalent exams 10+ years ago doesn't make them any harder.

How hard is it to accept that students now are cleverer than they were 10+ years ago?

This is supposedly a Cambridge O level paper:
    http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/..._w10_qp_11.pdf

I do not find the difficulty of this paper harder than the paper I sat last year for GCSE maths.
    It's got nothing to do with whether or not people are smarter now. That's a total irrelevance - apart from being absurdly simplistic to believe that GCSEs are equivalent to O level.

The point is that GCSEs have an entirely discredited philosophy and were designed from the outset with a politically correct agenda. The marking system is completely bogus and leads to a crush of grades at the top. What is more credible? That with GCSE it is relatively easy to score high grades, or that there are huge numbers of students today who are vastly more capable than students before, and are able to score the highest grade (A*/A) across the board, which was only very, very rarely achieved in the past?

The problem this leads to is that the examination fails in it's only real objective - to differentiate students on the basis of their ability. If there are lots of people scoring 9 x A*, how do you differentiate them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I agree, the only noticeable difference in that matrices are included in alevel. It's not that the matrices given are hard though, so if it were taught I'd say this is like a standard gcse maths paper.
    Cherry picking questions. There are lots of GCSE and O-level papers floating about. Try modern languages. The differences in papers is embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Cherry picking questions. There are lots of GCSE and O-level papers floating about. Try modern languages. The differences in papers is embarrassing.
    True, I'd agree that GCSEs are easier but its good that alevels are there to ''usually'' reward hard workers with challenging content (depending on the alevel obviously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    True, I'd agree that GCSEs are easier but its good that alevels are there to ''usually'' reward hard workers with challenging content (depending on the alevel obviously)
    A levels have exactly the same problem. Examination scheme has made it too easy to achieve high grades, meaning that there isn't a differentiating distribution. Two candidates both with A* could be quite different in terms of ability. The very fact that the A* had to be introduced in the first place is testimony to this.

What is the standard offer today from University College to read Medicine? AAA?

What was it in 1993? CCC. You cannot possibly believe that physicians and surgeons that qualified in the late 90s (and may well be teaching undergraduates now) are vastly less academic than today. It can only mean that there has been significant grade inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Everyone this really helped. Please add more if you know some other information

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone I say again

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.