Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do sociology at GCSE but I was wondering how you study the AQA a level course - I have read a few "introduction to sociology" books but how are you taught? Is much of it discussion based or are you asked to read books by actual Sociologists like Durkheim? My other options are English Lit, History and Maths - does Sociology compliment any of them?

ReputationRep:
    How you're taught depends on your school really - for me, it was a mixture of discussions, small group work, research, taking notes from the textbook, copying notes from PowerPoints/ the board, handouts etc.

You'll usually work from a textbook with everything you need in it rather than having to read "books by actual sociologists". although I did read a couple to gain a better understanding of some of the issues raised in the textbook.

You definitely don't need to have taken the GCSE to do well, and I would say it would go well with English and History being an essay based subject; you may find some of the theory encountered particularly useful if these are studied at a more advanced level and society plays a part in both subjects.

ReputationRep:
    AS or A2?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, everytyhing you need for the exam is in the textbook. it is such an interesting a-level though that one is tempted to do outside reading, and whilst they say you don't need to to get A*s, I am sure that this *really* impresses the examiner. depends how interested you are in it. at the same tim it is hard not to be interested in it.

definitely compliments history. there is a lot of historical politics in sociology. i think if you are okay at history you'd be quite likely to be okay at sociology. english too - as clarity of expression go a long way as exams and coursework almost always have an essay element to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _splinter_)
    yeah, everytyhing you need for the exam is in the textbook. it is such an interesting a-level though that one is tempted to do outside reading, and whilst they say you don't need to to get A*s, I am sure that this *really* impresses the examiner. depends how interested you are in it. at the same tim it is hard not to be interested in it.

definitely compliments history. there is a lot of historical politics in sociology. i think if you are okay at history you'd be quite likely to be okay at sociology. english too - as clarity of expression go a long way as exams and coursework almost always have an essay element to them.
    what books do you recommend? (i don't know how accessible something like Suicide by Durkheim is, i imagine there'd be a lot of terms i won't know) but to give me more of an insight into the subject. also, is it still regarded as a "soft" a level by Oxbridge and Russell Group universities?

ReputationRep:
    I got an A without doing gcse. Go figure. And sociology compliments history and English well as they're all essay based. Sociology is 'soft' but your other choices are strong and it's an easy grade at AS if you keep up the workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karl Marx's Cat)
    what books do you recommend? (i don't know how accessible something like Suicide by Durkheim is, i imagine there'd be a lot of terms i won't know) but to give me more of an insight into the subject. also, is it still regarded as a "soft" a level by Oxbridge and Russell Group universities?
    I'd say it is less respected than the more traditional/ facilitating subjects, but taking it shouldn't hinder your chances, especially alongside your other options.

I don't know about Durkheim, but Venkatesh's Gang Leader For a Day is quite good in that it's not as heavy as a more academic work, but provides more detail about his study which will help to illustrate points relating to observation and ethics. It's especially useful if you do the Crime and Deviance module for A2 (the same can be said for Suicide) but I suppose you could also use for more general Research Methods questions at AS.

I'd also recommend watching/ reading the news as it helps give you an understanding of how the theories work in practice, and will again provide you with some examples to use in essays. I think there's also Sociology/ theory related books in the Graphic Guide series. I don't know what they're like, but the Psychology one helped me a great deal pre-A Level and again, they're more accessible than the more academic tomes.

However, as other posters have already said, extra reading is not necessary to gain an A/A*.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology compliments history and English lit as both they require good essay writing skills and they all teach you critical thinking and to analyse the nips off things
    I do AQA sociology and we do very little reading of books, we have a revision booklet we refer to but mostly we discuss the issues we learn about as evaluating theories is what gets you highest marks in this course. We also often watch clips of documentaries that discuss any issue we are studying at the time, it's a brilliant subject and I can't recommend it highly enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am a current year 12 student studying your exact options by the way and would recommend every single one, I study history on edexcel and English on AQA LITB and find that there are constant crossovers with history and sociology as you need to talk about the poems place in context of its society and time period. You need to be prepared to work a fair bit with those options too (by a fair bit I mean until you could pull out your own eyes with straws) so enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Russell Group I would say no not soft.

I just used to AQA sociology textbook - worked for me to get a high A. I also google things and terms/theories I want to read more in-depth on, as it can be really interesting and a more detailed debate.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do sociology at GCSE but I was wondering how you study the AQA a level course - I have read a few "introduction to sociology" books but how are you taught? Is much of it discussion based or are you asked to read books by actual Sociologists like Durkheim? My other options are English Lit, History and Maths - does Sociology compliment any of them?
    You'll be taught in various methods but as a subject it's open to a lot of class discussion which I find enjoyable. Not much further reading is required but it's always a plausible idea to research topics in Sociology that you're unsure of. Like a poster already mentioned before, it's complementary to History and I personally found it to have some use in English Literature too since it can be used to evaluate the context of some novels and poems. Sociology itself is not less 'respected' but it can sometimes be seen as a 'limited' subject choice. Don't let that put you off - it's still a thoroughly enjoyable A Level.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study law at university, but i am still unsure of what A levels to take. I am definitely taking Geography for AS and Maths for A level, but i don't know what other 2 A levels to do. I know history is good and also Sociology, but i know English Literature would be good too. I don't really want to take English literature as i don't like reading many of the books. Is there any other subjects that i could take apart from history and sociology for A level which will help me when i want to take Law at university? I would like not to do english literature, but if i have to i will try my best in it. It's just that i've heard Sociology isn't as well respected as English literature and i think it would be better for me to take English literature and History. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandav)
    I want to study law at university, but i am still unsure of what A levels to take. I am definitely taking Geography for AS and Maths for A level, but i don't know what other 2 A levels to do. I know history is good and also Sociology, but i know English Literature would be good too. I don't really want to take English literature as i don't like reading many of the books. Is there any other subjects that i could take apart from history and sociology for A level which will help me when i want to take Law at university? I would like not to do english literature, but if i have to i will try my best in it. It's just that i've heard Sociology isn't as well respected as English literature and i think it would be better for me to take English literature and History. Thanks for the help!
    A foreign language might also be an option, but in all honesty, I don't think it would matter if you took Sociology in place and English - if you're looking for "respected" subjects, with Geography, Maths and History you would three already, so in my opinion, it would be better to Sociology if you're likely to enjoy it more and get better grades in it than English. Also make sure you demonstrate your interest through wider reading/ work experience. Good luck!

Edit: You can always add a little sentence in your PS to say how Sociology has helped your understanding of/ interest in Law.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.