The Student Room Group

Can you use the same personal statement twice?

I was just wondering as I am considering taking a gap year, this year (I already have a firm) and then starting uni in 2014.

Obviously the UCAS filters are strict but what if it's your own? I mean, if I wanted to, could I use the exact same statement for next year even if I have already used it?
Reply 1
You probably can, as it isn't plagiarism. You're probably best of sending them an email to confirm first.
Reply 2
bump. Wondering about this also.
Reply 3
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
I was just wondering as I am considering taking a gap year, this year (I already have a firm) and then starting uni in 2014.

Obviously the UCAS filters are strict but what if it's your own? I mean, if I wanted to, could I use the exact same statement for next year even if I have already used it?

Yes, you can use it again as it will detect the same name and date of birth. From the UCAS FAQs:

7. Can I use the personal statement I wrote for a previous application again?

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. The service removes all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same, so if the service highlights similarities it will not match with your previous statement but with other sources already in our library.
Reply 4
nope. they do a plagiarism check on it.

And trust me, the second one you write should be a lot better than your first if your "gap year" has been beneficial in any way.

edit- my bad on first bit but second bit still stands.
Reply 5
You can, because if it is flagged up as copied they will realise that it is the same person. You might want to change it though, to add in stuff about your gap year etc.
Yes, of course, but it would probably be wise to make a few adjustments. You may want to explain the purpose of your gap year, what you've done to maintain an interest/commitment to your subject, add any updates there might be to your situation, etc.
Yes you can use the same personal statement again.
It will get flagged up by UCAS's similarity checker but when they investigate it they will see it is the same person through the name and date of birth.
Although, you may be tempted to use the same personal statement as last time, you might want to use this as an opportunity to improve it and build upon what you already have.
Reply 8
Yeah I totally agree on updating it and improving it etc

I was just wondering what would happen if someone didn't and gave the same personal statement twice

thanks for everyone's help :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yes you can, i was in similar postion when applying for medicine, but i would take the oppourtunity to improve it,
my personal statmet suced last time this time i got the offer i wanted, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending