Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I apologise if I've posted in the wrong forum, I have just joined TSR. Basically I would like to do the doctorate in clinical psychology but I feel like my shoddy A level grades and my degree from an ex-poly university may hold me back. I am unsure even as to whether or not I will get onto a masters as there is a degree of snobbery around regarding both a levels and where you got your degree. I personally find it ridiculous that they ask for A level grades on the DClinPsy application. I will post my academics/experience thus far and I invite you all to be brutally honest. It is a long road to the doctorate and I don't want to go down that path if there's no hope of me ever making it.

GCSE: A*A*AAAAACCC
    A Level : BBB
    BSc Hons (second year profile) 60%-76% avg. 69.5%
    Placement: 12 months in CAMHS with the NHS

If it helps the masters courses I would like to get onto are either the NHS funded child psychology course at Edinburgh or the UCL developmental psychology course ( if I can afford it!)

I welcome other potential clinical applicants to post here too as it would be nice to hear from you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephanieimb)
    Hi everyone,

I apologise if I've posted in the wrong forum, I have just joined TSR. Basically I would like to do the doctorate in clinical psychology but I feel like my shoddy A level grades and my degree from an ex-poly university may hold me back. I am unsure even as to whether or not I will get onto a masters as there is a degree of snobbery around regarding both a levels and where you got your degree. I personally find it ridiculous that they ask for A level grades on the DClinPsy application. I will post my academics/experience thus far and I invite you all to be brutally honest. It is a long road to the doctorate and I don't want to go down that path if there's no hope of me ever making it.

GCSE: A*A*AAAAACCC
    A Level : BBB
    BSc Hons (second year profile) 60%-76% avg. 69.5%
    Placement: 12 months in CAMHS with the NHS

If it helps the masters courses I would like to get onto are either the NHS funded child psychology course at Edinburgh or the UCL developmental psychology course ( if I can afford it!)

I welcome other potential clinical applicants to post here too as it would be nice to hear from you!
    Your GCSE and A level results will not even be taken into accountfor your matter's application never mind your doctoral application. If you can push your marks up to a first then do well in your matter's degree then you put yourself in as good a position as you can be. But ultimately there is an element of luck with funding.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above comment in terms of your undergrad grades. If you can push it up to a first then really do try. You placement experience is also already great but still try for more if you can. With those two you should be in good standing to get into a good masters programme and I've heard good things about Edinburgh and its psychology department and if you get funding for it thats even better.

Your A levels aren't actually thy bad and I know of others who have gotten on to the doctorate with Bs and Cs so I'm not sure why you see these grades as negative. The name and type of your university is also not a big deal as long as you achieve a certain grade and it is accredited by the bps.

If you really do feel that your grades are holding you back and you may not fair well on an application form/interview, you could maybe think about applying to those programmes who give the selection test first?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.