Turn on thread page Beta

University problem - should I email them? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,

    i'll cut to the chase. basically, My dad was diagnosed with cancer in January and it's had a massive effect on my exams - I did awful and I'm now worried I'm not going to get my required grades in the summer (AAA for imperial)

    I've spoken to friends and they think I should get in touch with the university to let them know, but what is this really going to achieve? Is it worth doing? I don't want to look attention seeking.

    What should I do?

    I'm very sad to hear that and I hope he makes a rapid recovery. This is called an 'Extenuating circumstance'. The first thing you must do is approach your headteacher/head of sixth form or college and tell them about your situation. He or she will write up a formal letter and sent it to your uni's. In a lot of cases they will reduce your entry grades. But before this all begins you must get documents from the hospital showing that your dad is genuinely ill to show that this really is the case.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    You may need a letter to give to 6th form / college. I would also send a copy of the letter to uni.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.