Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if there is a suitable college for mature students who come from outside UK. Personally, I'm currently 21 and trying to look for a peaceful and quiet one with comfortable atmosphere but not sure which one is better to choose.

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    I wonder if there is a suitable college for mature students who come from outside UK. Personally, I'm currently 21 and trying to look for a peaceful and quiet one with comfortable atmosphere but not sure which one is better to choose.

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look and see if you can get into Wentworth college, if not Alcuin is known for being a bit quieter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surelyme)
    Look and see if you can get into Wentworth college, if not Alcuin is known for being a bit quieter
    Thank you !! I'll note down this two colleges when applying for accommodation. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hickleton and Ainsty Court are the two quiet courts in Halifax College. Whilst the first one is strictly for postgrads, the other one is for both postgrads and undergrads wishing to live in a more serene environment.
    I am currently living in Hickleton, but I have friends over in Ainsty and they say it's pretty peaceful, even too peaceful at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lex25288)
    Hickleton and Ainsty Court are the two quiet courts in Halifax College. Whilst the first one is strictly for postgrads, the other one is for both postgrads and undergrads wishing to live in a more serene environment.
    I am currently living in Hickleton, but I have friends over in Ainsty and they say it's pretty peaceful, even too peaceful at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many thanks for your suggestion !!
    By the way, are you currently a Post Grad student ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am doing an MSc in Software Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am doing an MSc in Software Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, just the person I wanted to talk to. While I'm not in software eng, I have firmed for Msc. Adv Comp Sci.

If you don't mind me asking, what's you schedule like on an average day and how do you end up choosing your end of the year project? Also, if you have accommodation on the Heslington campus, how long does it take to get to Heslington East?

ReputationRep:
    There's no average really, it varies a lot throughout the terms.
    The autumn term was really crazy (lectures everyday), this last one not so much (since we only had 3 modules compared to the other one where we had 5).
    The good thing about CS at York though is that they split every term into two, so the first term actually had two subterms with 3 modules each (I know 5/2=2.5, but one was carried out for both subterms because it was worth 20 credits), whilst one of the subterms in the other term had 2 and the other subterm just one. It may sound confusing, but it's not that complicated , it just needs some getting used to.

I usually walk to the CS department (it takes about 10 minutes on foot when the pavement is not too slippery because of the ice) but the college is served by a bus service running everyday from 7.00am to (I think) 10.00pm during term-time.

The uni and the city of York itself are also quite bike-friendly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wentworth, Alcuin or Halifax. If you want peace and quiet opt for only these!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahiruddin)
    Wentworth, Alcuin or Halifax. If you want peace and quiet opt for only these!
    Thanks a lot for this. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    Thanks a lot for this. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which one I'd you end up going with?

ReputationRep:
    Alcuin ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have the same concern; I am a postgrad joining Halifax, Ainsty Court this September and hoping its quite.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.