Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So if you've ever done or are doing AQA A GCSE Geography, you'd be aware that 25% of your total grade is a controlled assessment task. Unfortunatley, since there are now linear exams and everything is so strict, my year cannot do it in the comfort of our homes. There are high levels of control
    But anyway, my school has chosen to complete one on 'Water on the Land' topic. We'll be visiting a river after the easter break and completing our primary data there.
    My teacher showed us some past examples of other students' work and there was an extremely detailed one with lots of equations, drawings and whatnot, but didn't even manage to get an A! She said it was almost an A :/
    Now I really want an A* for Geography. All of my mocks and past papers so far have been full or almost full marks... I think the CAT could really let me down
    Therefore, I want to know that if anybody who has done this before, what is it exactly that you must write about, analyse, anything really, that'll get you those top marks for a high A or an A* ?
    For some reason my teacher isn't giving us much guidance so I would reeeeally appreciate anything that anybody has got to say!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    So if you've ever done or are doing AQA A GCSE Geography, you'd be aware that 25% of your total grade is a controlled assessment task. Unfortunatley, since there are now linear exams and everything is so strict, my year cannot do it in the comfort of our homes. There are high levels of control
    officially you shouldn't of been able to do it at home either, but many centres did and many still will. However shouldn't be a problem really as just means you don't have to do it at home.

But anyway, my school has chosen to complete one on 'Water on the Land' topic. We'll be visiting
    a river after the easter break and completing our primary data there. [/QUOTE]

A river study is very common, the most common at GCSE, however there can be a wide range to look at. I'm personally not keen on rivers, but still a good fieldwork

My teacher showed us some past examples of other students' work and there was an extremely detailed one with lots of equations, drawings and whatnot, but didn't even manage to get an A! She said it was almost an A :/
    the equations can be as detailed as you want, if they are wrong or not relevant, not going to get any marks. Sometimes for fieldwork over complicating equations, trying to show flare, does backfire and sometimes showing the simpler things well an in detail is better, as many people don't show the simpler things in the detail you need to.

Now I really want an A* for Geography. All of my mocks and past papers so far have been full or almost full marks... I think the CAT could really let me down
    The exams will hopefully get you the A*, not exactly sure on the weighting, but wouldn't be surprised if a high B would do on the CAT to still get you the A*.

Therefore, I want to know that if anybody who has done this before, what is it exactly that you must write about, analyse, anything really, that'll get you those top marks for a high A or an A* ?
    Done tonnes of fieldwork before, not keen on CATs, but done the style of report/thesis that you do for CAT.

Showing that you have an understanding and that you are able to analyse your data correctly and that you can also apply a theory (only in some cases). Also don't skimp on detail if you can help it, but don't waffle. Also don't go one sided, look at everything from both sides equally.

For some reason my teacher isn't giving us much guidance so I would reeeeally appreciate anything that anybody has got to say!

Thank you!
    Why would they give it to you before you start the CAT? they'll give it to you during the CAT.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.