Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    There is a question about my integration assignment.
    Let f(x) be a periodic continuous function with a period of T and a be a real number.

(a) [proved already] prove that the integral from a to (a+T) of f(x)dx = the integral from 0 to T of f(x)dx

(b) HENCE find a constant C such that the function g(x) = Cx + the integral from 0 to x of f(t)dt is a periodic function with a period of T.

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilson Lui)
    There is a question about my integration assignment.
    Let f(x) be a periodic continuous function with a period of T and a be a real number.

(a) [proved already] prove that the integral from a to (a+T) of f(x)dx = the integral from 0 to T of f(x)dx

(b) HENCE find a constant C such that the function g(x) = Cx + the integral from 0 to x of f(t)dt is a periodic function with a period of T.

Please help!
    This is a very interesting question. I am going to give it a go, but forgive me if I am mistaken.

I will use the notation F(x) for the integral from zero to x of the periodic function f.

Now consider g(a) and g(a + T). Since g has a period of T, we have g(a) = g(a + T).

We can therefore write aC + F(a) = aC + TC + F(a + T).

We can subtract aC from both sides and rearrange to get TC + F(a + T) - F(a) = 0.

But from the first part, F(a + T) - F(a) = F(T).

Thus TC + F(T) = 0 will give you the constant C in terms of the period T.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Indeed I've gone to this step too.

But then I thought of the requirements: Find a CONSTANT C such that...

I wonder if it is appropriate if the constant is still in terms of other variables such as T.

Hence I wonder if there are also other methods. ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilson Lui)
    Thanks for your reply. Indeed I've gone to this step too.

But then I thought of the requirements: Find a CONSTANT C such that...

I wonder if it is appropriate if the constant is still in terms of other variables such as T.

Hence I wonder if there are also other methods. ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well once you choose your periodic function, its period won't be variable. You will get some fixed value for T for that function, which in turn will define a fixed value for C.

ReputationRep:
    Take f(x) = sin^2(x) for example.

You should be able to tell by considering the graph of y = sin(x) that f will have a period of \pi.

We need to evaluate F(\pi) which you can do by first writing sin^2(x) = \frac{1}{2} (1 - cos(2x)).

The cos(2x) term integrates to \frac{1}{2} sin(2x) and will therefore make no contribution to the definite integral (since the limits of integration are 0 and \pi).

This leaves us with F(\pi) = \frac{\pi}{2}.

From before, \pi C + F(\pi) = 0 so C = - \frac{1}{2} which is clearly a constant.

You can check for yourself that g(x) = - \frac{x}{2} + F(x) has a period of \pi as required.

Note that I used sin^2(x) as an example rather than the more familiar sin(x) because for f(x) = sin(x), you will get C = 0 which is not very interesting.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.