Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so my university career has been less than brilliant so far.

background on that; I'm nearly 21, just recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder which I am just starting to get under some kind of control, but before that I just had about five years of untreated crazy making life difficult for me.

I went to college for year 12, hated it, and transferred back to my old school to finish year 13. Applied for Cambridge, had my heart set on it, and took it pretty hard when I didnt get in (god knows why, I am pretty sure I wouldve hated it there too), had a year out after 6th form in which I didnt do much. Went to Leeds uni the next year, liked the uni itself but dropped out at the end of first year because a. my mental health was all kinds of awful and b. I literally have no idea why I chose the course I did (classics and philosophy), stayed living there because I'd already signed for a flat by that point.

Now is when I wouldve been doing my second year if I'd stayed, but as it is, I had two jobs that I got fired from for generally being out of it (lots of ups and downs with medications). Its all been a case of trying to force myself to do way more than my health can handle all at once; I'm moving back home for a year to sort my head out with proper therapy and all that before I go back to a different uni in 2014 to do a course that I actually want to do (literature and/or creative writing, which I have always loved and been good at), rather than just flinging myself into things I know nothing about.

The thing is, I don't know how I am going to come across when I'm applying again, what with my dropout rate and lack of productive activities. I got good A-Levels (A*BB) but I'm just not sure anywhere will want to take me, or whether I should make it clear that my mental health has been a problem but shouldnt be next time, or what in the hell I should say I've been doing since I left school in my personal statement, seeing as up until January this year what I've mostly been doing is lying on the sofa in a medicated mess.

I have a work-from-home job with my mums boyfriend lined up when I move back, but are there any part-time/distance courses I could also do,not so much for the qualification but to ease me back into education and also to prove that I'm well past the sitting about doing nothing stage? Everything I've seen so far seems to be more for people who dont have the qualifications to get into uni at all. I have nowhere to get references from, either - i tried contacting my old school a few times but with no luck, and to be honest I just wasnt a good student while I was there and hell knows what theyd say about me.

I'm pretty confident that this time around I will be in a good place to just enjoy learning and my uni life, if I just get the chance. Any advice on how to reapply after all these false starts would be very much welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really glad to hear things are starting to get back on track for you!

(Original post by sophiasunshine)
    ...are there any part-time/distance courses I could also do,not so much for the qualification but to ease me back into education and also to prove that I'm well past the sitting about doing nothing stage?
    Oxford's Department for Continuing Education offer quite a few online 10-credit Creative Writing and Literature modules - I haven't looked in detail at all of them, but they seem to be all/mostly at Level 1 (i.e. at first-year undergraduate level). Or, you could give an OU module a try - don't be put off by the fact that they're open to people with no qualifications, they'd still fit the bill for getting you back into the swing of things, study-wise.

ReputationRep:
    Before I even thought about going to uni full-time, I did a couple of online uni-based courses - one from UEA and one from Exeter. The first made me realise how much I missed learning and the second triggered the thought that I was ready to learn at uni level again - by that time the following year, I had an offer. I'd highly recommend online study for getting your mojo back!

Plenty of unis offer online courses in ... well, pretty much anything you can think of. Many are just lift-and-drop units or modules from undergrad courses, so they make a really good way of easing back into uni-level study. Mine came from:

UEA: http://www.uea.ac.uk/contedu
    Exeter: http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/

Whilst I've not done any of Oxford's Continuing Education courses online, I've taken some of their day and weekend courses which have been really enjoyable and well-run. I'd be confident that their online courses are run to the same standard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.