Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean? 'Primary productivity is the total amount of energy fixed by photosynthesis. It is the net flux of carbon from the atmosphere to plants, per unit time. It is a rate and may be measured in terms of energy per unit time, such as MJ m-2 yr-1'. What are they measuring exactly? The rate at which carbon dioxide diffuses into the plant? Or the rate at which carbon dioxide is converted to glucose? Or neither?

ReputationRep:
    Actually I think I understand, they're measuring the amount of carbon that enters the plants over a certain period of time, as the amount of carbon can indicate the amount of energy present. Which can then be stored in the glucose during photosynthesis. Am I right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.