Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Low self esteem in relationships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

Does anyone else in a relationship have low self esteem or does your partner? And does it affect your relationship?

I'm 24 and have never really had much confidence in myself as a person and in my looks and suffer with very low self esteem and I sometimes wonder if it seems unattractive to my boyfriend who I've been with for 8 months.

I used to put myself down a lot more and try not to these days but I'm naturally very down on myself and often wonder what my boyfriend sees in me. He constantly tells me what a good person I am and that I'm gorgeous etc but I find it hard to believe and struggle to believe him and see what he sees.
    I constantly worry that people are judging me and thinking badly of me whether it be about the way I look or about things I say/do.

I just wondered if anyone else is like this or if your other half is and if it affects your relationship at all? I'm lucky in that my boyfriend just says it's a shame that I don't see what he sees and he wishes I do but that's the extent of how it affects us.
    I just never want it to be an issue.
    I must say that I do suffer with anxiety and depression so a lot of my problem is to do with that but I can't put my low self esteem purely down to my mental illness, I've been this way since I was a young teenager.

ReputationRep:
    My ex had pretty serious self-esteem issues, although I think I was pretty understanding and constantly attempted to make her feel better. She'd self-harmed before the relationship that I was unaware of until about 6 months in but the start of our relationship had stopped that. Unfortunately she eventually reverted to self-harm towards the end, as things got too much for her. Obviously there's a big difference between low self-esteem and self-harming but personally it didn't bother me too much, only partially annoyed me when she refused to accept any of my compliments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.