Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was just considering doing a masters after the LLB to increase my chances of getting a pupilage after the bar.

All advice is welcomed.

Thaaanks

ReputationRep:
    Oxford don't offer an LL.M. Assuming you mean the BCL, then yes, no reason you can't do Exeter -> BCL.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, Oxford doesn't really discriminate on the institution you studied at for the BCL. (Perhaps this is the case for some universities, but I imagine Exeter would not fall into that category.)

Again, I think you need a top first class degree to get admitted which is probably the difficult bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    Oxford don't offer an LL.M. Assuming you mean the BCL, then yes, no reason you can't do Exeter -> BCL.
    sorry i wasn't quite sure i was just thinking whether getting into oxford after undergrad would be as difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    AFAIK, Oxford doesn't really discriminate on the institution you studied at for the BCL. (Perhaps this is the case for some universities, but I imagine Exeter would not fall into that category.)

Again, I think you need a top first class degree to get admitted which is probably the difficult bit.
    o right so there is a chance if i get a first they would not discriminate exeter uni?

its just everything is so competitive and i have no idea what a llb from exeter is worth careerwise

so many oxford students cannot get pupilage as i've heard

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarhanaHaq)
    o right so there is a chance if i get a first they would not discriminate exeter uni?

its just everything is so competitive and i have no idea what a llb from exeter is worth careerwise

so many oxford students cannot get pupilage as i've heard

thanks
    No, I don't think so. However, it is renowned for being one of the most rigorous postgraduate degrees in the country (I think - possibly even further afield) and the website does seem to stipulate an "outstanding" first class degree.

I don't really know very much about this, so I'm sure there are better qualified people to answer any other questions you may have

What I will say, though, is that an LLB from Exeter is a very well regarded degree. (There are a few studies etc. supporting this assertion so if you'd like evidence I could provide it for both solicitors and barristers.)

I'm also not entirely sure how worthwhile doing the BCL is. I think for the Bar it would certainly do you no harm, but obviously there are other factors that you must weigh up against it. Again, I'd suggest asking more experienced/knowledgeable users for more on this.

ReputationRep:
    If you're already thinking of the BCL, why not go one step more and reapply for the BA Jurisprudence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    If you're already thinking of the BCL, why not go one step more and reapply for the BA Jurisprudence?
    Is the OP not already at Exeter doing the LLB? Certainly no sense whatsoever in applying for the BA at Oxford having already done a qualifying law degree at Exeter - not sure if that was implied.

To the OP - certainly the BCL is very competitive to get onto, and I would say that without a first your chances are slim to none, but with a good first class degree, if the course appeals to you, you should definitely apply.

People argue a lot about how important Master's degrees are for the bar, but there is no doubt that having the BCL (especially having a distinction) would give you a significant advantage for getting pupillage at the top London sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarhanaHaq)
    I was just considering doing a masters after the LLB to increase my chances of getting a pupilage after the bar.

All advice is welcomed.

Thaaanks
    Oxford's BCL admission is very heavily academically weighted, so what matters is how well you do in your degree, not where you got it from. So long as you've got a first class degree (or your 1st/2nd year results indicate that you are likely to achieve a first class degree overall), you stand a good chance, I'd say

In any case, an LL.B from Exeter is still a very well respected degree. Are you Year 13 and firming Exeter, by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoseSmallWinBig)
    I think the OP might be at our stage right now (i.e. just got back all uni responses)

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.