Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've tried turning it off and on again, taking the battery out and holding the power button down etc several times, but still it stays black. I can hear the laptop making all the normal starting up noises, I just can't see anything.

The only thing out of the ordinary seems to be that the power light (which is on) doesn't blink when I close the lid or press the power button to put it onto standby, but this could just be coincidence or something.

It's a dell Inspiron 13z, I think I've had it about 4 years but I've never had a problem like this before. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say without seeing the device, but from what you've observed, perhaps there is something wrong with how it senses if the lid is up/down?

It could be that there is some kind of mechanical fault on wherever it senses the lid position, so the laptop thinks it's closed (and hence turns off the screen) when it's actually open. If you're able to find this sensor (it may be hidden out of sight) then check to see if it has jammed or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Try connecting it to a monitor and if it works, your screen is broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    It's hard to say without seeing the device, but from what you've observed, perhaps there is something wrong with how it senses if the lid is up/down?

It could be that there is some kind of mechanical fault on wherever it senses the lid position, so the laptop thinks it's closed (and hence turns off the screen) when it's actually open. If you're able to find this sensor (it may be hidden out of sight) then check to see if it has jammed or anything.
    I was thinking the same. The laptop is probably detecting that the screen is closed when it is in fact open. Try and identify the area where it detects if the lid is open/closed and check it out. Alternatively, try and open and close the lid a few times but give about a 10 second gap between each open/close to give it enough time to wake up.

If possible, connect your laptop to an external monitor to make sure that it is your laptop display that is not working and not the actual laptop computer. Otherwise, this might indicate that your laptop is faulty and not the screen part of it.

Also, try and go into a dark room and check if you can see any faint images on your screen. It may be that the screen is faulty. You can also try putting your screen against a bright light to see if you can see anything.

Fourthly, try and put the backlight display brightness up. It might just be turned down to the absolute minimum.

Like ttoby said, it's hard to tell without seeing the device. These are just general troubleshooting tips you can use to help identify what may be wrong.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for all the replies, I can't get any of that to work so I think it must be the laptop itself that's gone wrong. The only bit I didn't try was the finding the sensor when I'm opening and closing it- how would I go about doing this? I might just have to take it down to the computer repair shop place tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Thanks for all the replies, I can't get any of that to work so I think it must be the laptop itself that's gone wrong. The only bit I didn't try was the finding the sensor when I'm opening and closing it- how would I go about doing this? I might just have to take it down to the computer repair shop place tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On an old laptop I had, the sensor was a little rod that stuck out and got pushed in when the lid closed. On a newer laptop, I think it's built into the hinge somewhere so it's not so easy to get to. Hopefully the repair shop would know what to look for and would have the required tools to use if necessary.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had the exact same problem, and sent it to KNOWHOW at PC world/currys and they said there was something wrong with the motherboard. And then came the new that it will take roughly £250 to fix :| Took it straight back! But they were able to do something, they made it work on an external device like my computer screen!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MLogan)
    I had the exact same problem, and sent it to KNOWHOW at PC world/currys and they said there was something wrong with the motherboard. And then came the new that it will take roughly £250 to fix :| Took it straight back! But they were able to do something, they made it work on an external device like my computer screen!
    Ahh, don't want to have to pay that much! At least it's not just me though.... So you can still use it, just not as a portable laptop?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, don't want to have to pay that much! At least it's not just me though.... So you can still use it, just not as a portable laptop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that's what i thought, I was not ever going to pay that much to fix a laptop ,most probably buy a new one later! I can still use it as long as i attach the cable from the computer screen to the laptop then i can see what i'm doing on the computer screen! What laptop do you have?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MLogan)
    Yeah that's what i thought, I was not ever going to pay that much to fix a laptop ,most probably buy a new one later! I can still use it as long as i attach the cable from the computer screen to the laptop then i can see what i'm doing on the computer screen! What laptop do you have?
    A dell inspiron one- it's a brilliant laptop, I've almost run out of memory but that's the only problem I've had with it until now. Hopefully I'll be able to do that then, especially as I need things saved off it! If not, as you say I'd rather just start saving to buy a new one than pay £250 to repair it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for all the help people, I was going to take it in this morning but my mum just before we went in said 'have you tried shaking it?'. She did and it works now, so we thingk there must have been a crumb in there or something? Anyway, I now have a working laptop without having to pay £250 or something that I can't afford, which is good!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help people, I was going to take it in this morning but my mum just before we went in said 'have you tried shaking it?'. She did and it works now, so we thingk there must have been a crumb in there or something? Anyway, I now have a working laptop without having to pay £250 or something that I can't afford, which is good!

That's great! Although, if that fixed it then it could be an intermittent fault so you might find it happens again. I'd recommend backing up anything important on the laptop just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Shaking it sounds like a loose wire more than anything, so as the poster above says there's a risk it might recur, and I wouldn't recommend shaking your laptop to fix it every time! You might be able to take it to a computer repair shop to get them to diagnose it - some places will offer to identify the problem for free (or at least cheaply) without any obligation for you to go ahead with the repair if you don't want to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Theflyingbarney)
    Shaking it sounds like a loose wire more than anything, so as the poster above says there's a risk it might recur, and I wouldn't recommend shaking your laptop to fix it every time! You might be able to take it to a computer repair shop to get them to diagnose it - some places will offer to identify the problem for free (or at least cheaply) without any obligation for you to go ahead with the repair if you don't want to.
    Yeah, I think I might do that when exams are over and I don't need it so often, hopefully it won't happen again until then. I don't intend to shake it again if I can help it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.