Maths C
    English Lit D
    English Lang D
    Science C
    Science Double B
    IT C
    French D

And yes these are my GCSEs.

Do you think these would ruin any chance of succeeding in life?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to become a doctor then your GCSEs aren't good enough I'm afraid. The English lit + lang could do with improving, most employers want a C at least for English and Maths.

Try to see if you can re sit some of the GCSEs and then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    It all depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to become a doctor then your GCSEs aren't good enough I'm afraid. The English lit + lang could do with improving, most employers want a C at least for English and Maths.

Try to see if you can re sit some of the GCSEs and then you should be fine.
    I'm already in Further Education and applied to universities.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see a big problem with the grades you have. Of course, potential employers would rather consider someone with better GCSEs, but it shouldn't hinder much at the stage in life you're already in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    Photography E
    Maths C
    English Lit D
    English Lang D
    Science C
    Science Double B
    IT C
    French D

And yes these are my GCSEs.

Do you think these would ruin any chance of succeeding in life?
    They're horrible. Did something happen that effected your GCSE's? If so, employers etc. will take some sensitivity if you weren't able to fulfil your potential.

Nonetheless, GCSEs are often exaggerated in importance. It's your A levels above everything that count. But with those GCSEs I wouldn't aim too high.

If you weren't able to fulfil your potential or you generally think you could do better, resit them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm already in Further Education and applied to universities.
    Which course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    I don't really see a big problem with the grades you have. Of course, potential employers would rather consider someone with better GCSEs, but it shouldn't hinder much at the stage in life you're already in.
    Not necessarily. If the person in question achieves better grades at University than the person next to him who achieved better grades at GCSE, I think the employer would look at current credentials. Therefore they will have a higher chance of being employed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)
    They're horrible. Did something happen that effected your GCSE's? If so, employers etc. will take some sensitivity if you weren't able to fulfil your potential.

Nonetheless, GCSEs are often exaggerated in importance. It's your A levels above everything that count. But with those GCSEs I wouldn't aim too high.

If you weren't able to fulfil your potential or you generally think you could do better, resit them.
    You could of worded the start better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    Not necessarily. If the person in question achieves better grades at University than the person next to him who achieved better grades at GCSE, I think the employer would look at current credentials. Therefore they will have a higher chance of being employed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But then again, if the employer cannot decide which one of the candidates to pick, they'd probably trust GCSEs to do that. I'm not saying that GCSEs matter that much -- that was the whole point -- but they should not be completely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    But then again, if the employer cannot decide which one of the candidates to pick, they'd probably trust GCSEs to do that. I'm not saying that GCSEs matter that much -- that was the whole point -- but they should not be completely ignored.
    What? If an employer had two candidates, one with a fantastic graduate degree, and the other with a satisfactory degree, who do you think they would choose? It's like saying a person with A star grades at level isn't going to be offered a place at University due to their satisfactory grades at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could of worded the start better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, if I found those on my paper on results day, I would be devastated. No use in softening things down.

ReputationRep:
    What? If an employer had two candidates, one with a fantastic graduate degree, and the other with a satisfactory degree, who do you think they would choose? It's like saying a person with A star grades at level isn't going to be offered a place at University due to their satisfactory grades at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I meant that if two people with the same qualifications and skills applied for the same job, the employer may look at their GCSEs,thinking that maybe they will help them decide. Just an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    No, I meant that if two people with the same qualifications and skills applied for the same job, the employer may look at their GCSEs,thinking that maybe they will help them decide. Just an example
    Oh yeah, of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    Which course did you apply for?
    Business Computing at Aston University
    Business Computing at Hertfordshire University
    Information Systems at Kingston University
    Information System at Nottingham Trent
    Information Systems at Kent University

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)
    Well, if I found those on my paper on results day, I would be devastated. No use in softening things down.
    No use in making them feel like **** either. Maybe exams are not one of their strongest assets, there's no point degrading them, it'll make them feel worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)

Haha I know they are terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Business Computing at Aston University
    Business Computing at Hertfordshire University
    Information Systems at Kingston University
    Information System at Nottingham Trent
    Information Systems at Kent University
    Look sometimes you just have a sh*t set of results. I have A; 3 B; 6 C;D; E; U. And then to cap it all, I have three Es at A level. I think it is fair to say I didn't work. A couple of years in the wilderness - Asda to be precise - and I applied as a mature student. I now have a degree and a professional qualification.

Your course choice is good I think. What are you expected to get a A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Look sometimes you just have a sh*t set of results. I have A; 3 B; 6 C;D; E; U. And then to cap it all, I have three Es at A level. I think it is fair to say I didn't work. A couple of years in the wilderness - Asda to be precise - and I applied as a mature student. I now have a degree and a professional qualification.

Your course choice is good I think. What are you expected to get a A level
    Doing BTEC Business predicted D*DD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)

Thats harsh, no need to be a prat about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    No... the interview would decide it.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.