Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a laptop under £600 for uni. These are the ones I'm looking at but any suggestions are welcome

Dell Inspiron 17R
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-NEW-Dell...item460d961570

Asus K55A
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-K55A-15...pr_product_top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    I'm looking for a laptop under £600 for uni. These are the ones I'm looking at but any suggestions are welcome

Dell Inspiron 17R
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-NEW-Dell...item460d961570

Asus K55A
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-K55A-15...pr_product_top
    What are you going to be suing it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What are you going to be suing it for?
    Just uni work, I won't need any special programs because it's medicine. I don't game so just general things like listening to music, watching movies etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just uni work, I won't need any special programs because it's medicine. I don't game so just general things like listening to music, watching movies etc.
    They are severely overspec'd then, you don't need anywhere near that sort of power for such basic tasks. This Asus at £370 is still more power than you need, and you could even spend as little as £300 on a Core i3 machine that would do the job nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They are severely overspec'd then, you don't need anywhere near that sort of power for such basic tasks. This Asus at £370 is still more power than you need, and you could even spend as little as £300 on a Core i3 machine that would do the job nicely.
    I want a laptop that will last so I might as well spend a bit of money which one in the OP do you think is better?

ReputationRep:
    I want a laptop that will last so I might as well spend a bit of money which one in the OP do you think is better?
    In that case go for the i5 I listed. There is no advantage, and likely won't be for the foreseeable future, of having an i7 processor over an i5 for basic users as the functionality that the i7 has over an i5 is only ever used by programs that can make use of more than four cores, that is to say absolutely nothing casual. Likewise it will be way way way into the future before the integrated graphics on Ivybridge chipsets stop being powerful enough for basic tasks. In short, unless you see yourself becoming a power user in some sense, there's no need to spend more on anything past an i5 :yy: if you put the rest into buying a solid state drive and put that in the laptop I linked to above, it will feel quicker than either of the two you've picked would and probably last just as long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    In that case go for the i5 I listed. There is no advantage, and likely won't be for the foreseeable future, of having an i7 processor over an i5 for basic users as the functionality that the i7 has over an i5 is only ever used by programs that can make use of more than four cores, that is to say absolutely nothing casual. Likewise it will be way way way into the future before the integrated graphics on Ivybridge chipsets stop being powerful enough for basc tasks. In short, unless you seeyourself becoming a power user in some sense, there's no need to spend more on anything past an i5 :yy: if you put the rest into buying a solid state drive and put that in the laptop I linked to above, it will feel quicker than either of the two you've picked would and probably last just as long.
    Please answer my original question of which one from the op is better?l

ReputationRep:
    The Dell is better,

But Gofre's advice makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    For your purposes, they're virtually identical. The Dell is technically the more powerful machine because of the dedicated GPU but you will never see that come into play unless you start playing demanding games. The choice comes down to whether you'd prefer the additional storage space in the Asus with a more standard screen size, or if you want the enormous 17" display of the Dell with a higher resolution.

Again, I must stress that you are wasting money.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Gofre)
    For your purposes, they're virtually identical. The Dell is technically the more powerful machine because of the dedicated GPU but you will never see that come into play unless you start playing demanding games. The choice comes down to whether you'd prefer the additional storage space in the Asus with a more standard screen size, or if you want the enormous 17" display of the Dell with a higher resolution.

Again, I must stress that you are wasting money.
    I agree with Gofre......................2 years down the line, everything will have changed spec wise.

Its far better to get something which meets your needs, which from the looks of things is an i3.........Gofre suggested a very good laptop with an i5 which is more than your actual needs so you got plenty of power for it to last for a good while. And save the rest for the future or a upgrade or on a new battery as laptop batteries tend to die after a few years of use.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the asus

Posted from the TSR app on iPhone 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_Cross)
    No one notice this....?

He clearly meant "using"...

everyone makes mistakes mate. Why'd you have to point it out? :confused:

Anyway, i think the Asus is the best one to go for. Unless you want a 17" screen laptop but why would you want something that big and bulky?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    He clearly meant "using"...

everyone makes mistakes mate. Why'd you have to point it out? :confused:
    Ok, maybe it was funnier in my head, I have fixed my comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_Cross)
    No one notice this....?
    I'm sure most people here have been on the internet long enough to overcome the novelty of a typo by now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.