Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Good exercises to start off a new me! Can you help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

To cut a year long story short last year I put out my back and was basically bed ridden for a long time and put on a significant amount of weight.

I'm incredibly unhappy with how I look, and how drastically my face and body have changed in a relatively short amount of time...

I've avoided going on the scales since then, and we don't have any at home, but I was a year ago 5"10 and a size 12 in most shops, now I'm easily an 18+ and it's depressing me more than it probably should, but I can't even fit in the clothes for the shop I work for.

I don't have the best diet in the world, but I don't snack (very much-It's usually mood dependent)

A typical day will consist of me having breakfast, lunch and then our main meal quite late as we work a lot.

I know I need to cut portion sizes, replace my 'snacky' lunches with fruit rather than crisps and generally just eat more fresh produce and less carbs,

However I need to kick start whatever metabolism I have.

a year ago my diet was no better than it is now, yet I was much slimmer, my lifestyle was less sedentary as I had a job and I was at college full time. When I got hurt I obviously lost all that, now I'm at uni full time and work all weekend, walk everywhere I am still putting on weight! Even though I am moving and doing stuff... and working pretty hard! (I work in one of the busiest shops in Birmingham, it's hard work) I had expected to lose a little weight at least.

Finding money and time for the gym is hard, and at the moment I'm much too self conscious, I just hide away in jumpers and jeans which is unlike me.

I have bought myself an exercise bike, but I want to break myself gently and increase my metabolism, so looking for ideas on gentle exercise I can do that won't aggravate my bad back too much (I have a curvature of the spine and mechanical back pain which is managed with tramadol)

But I know once I lose this weight again, I will be so much happier, and the pressure will be taken off my back...

(and on a side note my boobs are just too big now... I really can't deal with them... I really truly, honestly find them hideous and they're making my back worse.)

So please, please, please! Help this fatty buck up her ideas and get shedding those pounds so she can feel like herself again!

ReputationRep:
    MyFitnessPal.com

Sign up to that, input your height, current weight and goal weight, and it will give you goal calories to eat. It might seem low, but it adds more when you exercise (as you can log that, too). Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight. It takes a while to get the balance right, but it really is that simple. If you're a size 18 you could probably lose a fair bit just from eating healthy portion sizes, as it sounds like you have a lot to lose (not having a go- I've been there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    MyFitnessPal.com

Sign up to that, input your height, current weight and goal weight, and it will give you goal calories to eat. It might seem low, but it adds more when you exercise (as you can log that, too). Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight. It takes a while to get the balance right, but it really is that simple. If you're a size 18 you could probably lose a fair bit just from eating healthy portion sizes, as it sounds like you have a lot to lose (not having a go- I've been there).
    Thanks
    And no offence taken at all! I'm tall with wide hips, and doubt I'd be any slimmer than a 12, and I wouldn't want to be! It's just not for me being skinny. However I know where I'm happiest at, and I was happiest at a 14. I met my partner then, I found what kind of style I was into and everything slotted into place until my back flared up. I don't especially want to give up my treats, I love baking, and my partner is a good cook, and we love going to wagamammas and the such, but I need to exercise moderation. A once a month treat.

Thanks for the tip, I'll sign up now, I think I may have had an app that did a similar thing a while back...

Do you have any exercise tips? I want to try jogging with my partner but worried because of A) My back, B) wiggly jiggly boobs C) looking like a sweaty tomato next to my fella who used to long distance run at school and can happily run two miles after not exercising for months on end... jammy sod.

Also, just want to add that this thread is not meant to upset or offend anyone is an 18 or more. If you're happy at your size that's fab! I have ultimate respect for you all, and I wish i could be as happy in my own skin. But I have to do what I have to do to feel like me again.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to suggest getting a Shock Absorber sports bra. You will definitely want some kind of sports bra before you start doing any exercise - it's really not comfortable at all otherwise! Have a look on eBay and you can usually get old styles (new with tags, just the colours from the last season) of Shock Absorber bras for pretty cheap. They're usually graded with levels - go for level 4+ and one that's actually made in bra sizes rather than just S/M/L etc. Make sure you're definitely wearing the right size too; a badly-fitting sports bra won't exactly offer you the support you need & want

Perhaps try the Couch to 5k podcasts to ease yourself into jogging/running? Make sure you've got good comfortable running trainers too - you don't want to make your back injury any worse or cause any more damage by wearing badly fitting shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    I just want to suggest getting a Shock Absorber sports bra. You will definitely want some kind of sports bra before you start doing any exercise - it's really not comfortable at all otherwise! Have a look on eBay and you can usually get old styles (new with tags, just the colours from the last season) of Shock Absorber bras for pretty cheap. They're usually graded with levels - go for level 4+ and one that's actually made in bra sizes rather than just S/M/L etc. Make sure you're definitely wearing the right size too; a badly-fitting sports bra won't exactly offer you the support you need & want

Perhaps try the Couch to 5k podcasts to ease yourself into jogging/running? Make sure you've got good comfortable running trainers too - you don't want to make your back injury any worse or cause any more damage by wearing badly fitting shoes.
    Thanks sweetie! I hadn't even thought of bras! I had an old one stuffed in my drawer but I doubt that'll fit. Will definitely look on ebay and amazon. My partner got me some trainers that are meant to have some sort of shock absorbers in the soles, will they be ok? He got them to try and encourage me to get jogging with him. I wimped out for the reasons I mentioned before...

Thanks again x

ReputationRep:
    The thing with losing weight is it is a game of calories in vs calories out. Have a deficit and you'll lose it, have a surplus and you'll gain it. It is possible to have chocolate/cake/baked goods etc and still lose weight so long as you can fit into your daily calorie intake for the day/week. After a while you will get a good feel for how much you need to be eating to keep the weight loss up. Counting becomes a lot less onerous after a while.

I would not encourage someone who has a back injury and is overweight/out of condition to run on concrete. I think it'd be better to powerwalk first (preferably on grass/a softer surface.) Then progress to jogging on grass. Then perhaps running on grass.

Swimming would be good (from the point of view of back pain) but I am going to assume that's out due to body image issues. Cycling would be good from a joint impact point of view, as would a cross trainer/elliptical type device.

I have no idea what your back injury actually is and this shouldn't be taken as medical advice but it can help to buy a foam roller.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Elite-...4764368&sr=8-1
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...r_for_10_bucks

It's not going to burn many (any?) calories but it will generally make you feel better (it can hurt while doing it.)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.