Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently got blood tests back for a very very low iron count. I got called back in for an emergency appointment and everything.

On that day, I decided to keep a food diary, to see how much iron has been missing from my diet. I just got one of those random apps (free, but decent ratings and quite a few use it) to put in what I eat and calculate daily intake.

And after a few days, I realised I really haven't been eating enough at all (child size I think). On one of the days I drank quite a bit of beer and it was still under

This is beginning to worry me. Especially as I'm starting to become self conscious about my size. I've told friends but I don't think they care/think I'm making it up.

How can I make sure I eat enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just have a good plate of lentils and a banana - great sources of iron!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksugar)
    So I've recently got blood tests back for a very very low iron count. I got called back in for an emergency appointment and everything.

On that day, I decided to keep a food diary, to see how much iron has been missing from my diet. I just got one of those random apps (free, but decent ratings and quite a few use it) to put in what I eat and calculate daily intake.

And after a few days, I realised I really haven't been eating enough at all (child size I think). On one of the days I drank quite a bit of beer and it was still under

This is beginning to worry me. Especially as I'm starting to become self conscious about my size. I've told friends but I don't think they care/think I'm making it up.

How can I make sure I eat enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Supplements. Iron tablets. Consult your doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    maybe I should've said: I am on iron supplements.

The main question is: how can I eat more calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give us an example of what you eat on an average day and when you eat and we might be able to give some tips better.

You can get milk shakes like build up which are high in calories and nutrients if you find drinking easier... might that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Give us an example of what you eat on an average day and when you eat and we might be able to give some tips better.

You can get milk shakes like build up which are high in calories and nutrients if you find drinking easier... might that help?
    for breakfast I would have toast/porridge/cereal (plain shreddies or weetabix). lunch would be a sandwich (from home) / wrap or something like a pattie from school. dinner would be rice/potatoes/pasta then always meat or fish, salad or avocado

snacks would be a banana/ orange/ grapes at break. then maybe some chocolate or crisps during the day. and I probably would have a yoghurt.

hmm that might work, I don't really like eating in front of people at school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't look bad to be honest, I think maybe you just need to increase your portion sizes and top up with one of those shakes perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of problems with low iron and take feroglobin (liquid iron) as I didn't absorb the tablets properly due to a bowel condition. I found the liquid stuff was much nicer and didn't give me an upset tummy like the tablets. So if you're worried you aren't getting enough iron I definitely recommend it you can get it from morrisons/tesco etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry only just seen that you're on iron supplements but its just a suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.