Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After much battling with course statistics, distance from home and entry requirements I've decided that Brunel is the best university that I can got to for engineering in London. However I'm very worried at the low proportion of firsts according to uni stats. It's only 15% Does that mean that a) the course is really hard or b) the students on the course aren't at a very high level or even c) the teaching is crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    After much battling with course statistics, distance from home and entry requirements I've decided that Brunel is the best university that I can got to for engineering in London. However I'm very worried at the low proportion of firsts according to uni stats. It's only 15% Does that mean that a) the course is really hard or b) the students on the course aren't at a very high level or even c) the teaching is crap?
    That is a higher % than some degree's. In Law, only about 3% of students achieve a first.

Is it just at Brunel that 15% of people get a first? How does this compare to other universities? Getting a first is difficult, it requires a lot of studying and ensuring that all your work meets the standards.

At university level you aren't really 'taught' stuff by lecturers. You're supposed to do the majority of learning on your own. Engineering is quite a difficult degree too, and, therefore, it follows that it requires a lot of studying to get the high grades. From that you can assume that students didn't study enough or other similar reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    That is a higher % than some degree's. In Law, only about 3% of students achieve a first.

Is it just at Brunel that 15% of people get a first? How does this compare to other universities? Getting a first is difficult, it requires a lot of studying and ensuring that all your work meets the standards.

At university level you aren't really 'taught' stuff by lecturers. You're supposed to do the majority of learning on your own. Engineering is quite a difficult degree too, and, therefore, it follows that it requires a lot of studying to get the high grades. From that you can assume that students didn't study enough or other similar reasons.
    I should have said "2:1 or above" Youre right a first isn't something to worry about because its really hard to get and most places accept a 2:1 what I was actually worried about was the large proportion of people getting 2:2s or even failing at Brunel. At City there are 10% firsts and 60% 2:1s so 70% 2:1 or above, but at Brunel there are 15% firsts and 25% 2:1s so 40% 2:1 or above. Is this something to worry about? Is it a reason for choosing City over Brunel? Brunel is better for engineering in every other respect though.

Also random but I swear Beckenham is in London? Near Mitcham somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I should have said "2:1 or above" Youre right a first isn't something to worry about because its really hard to get and most places accept a 2:1 what I was actually worried about was the large proportion of people getting 2:2s or even failing at Brunel. At City there are 10% firsts and 60% 2:1s so 70% 2:1 or above, but at Brunel there are 15% firsts and 25% 2:1s so 40% 2:1 or above. Is this something to worry about? Is it a reason for choosing City over Brunel? Brunel is better for engineering in every other respect though.

Also random but I swear Beckenham is in London? Near Mitcham somewhere?
    Haha, Beckenham is in Kent but like right on the borders of London too.

It's a difficult one. From my personal point of view City is better than Brunel. I would assume City requires higher entry grades, which would mean the students attending City are 'brighter' and 'more intelligent'. So they'd know more what to do to get the higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Beckenham is in Kent but like right on the borders of London too.
    I checked Google Maps and Beckenham is firmly within the M25. I can see that it's near Bromley so probably has a Kent postcode which is probably why you say it's Kent. I had a long argument with someone else over whether Romford is Essex or not so I will say that it's both. It's the Kent part of London. Fun fact: I believe that Beckenham is the one and only part of London that I have never set foot in. Obviously I don't I've been to every inch of London I just mean I've been to or at least passed through every other major area in London. I've been to Penge though. DUMP. I saw actual authentic chavs wearing burberry caps I was shocked. Anyway back on topic...

It's a difficult one. From my personal point of view City is better than Brunel. I would assume City requires higher entry grades, which would mean the students attending City are 'brighter' and 'more intelligent'. So they'd know more what to do to get the higher grades.
    I see, so youre saying even if the engineering course at Brunel is better than City's the students aren't as up to scratch hence why the percentage of 2:1s or above are lower? Makes sense. That is the best explanation that I was hoping for because How well other students do doesn't impact on how well I do of course but teaching quality does. Im still so split mainly because City is much closer and has a better overall rep if not for engineering. Do you think a careers adviser would be able to help me? Thanks very much for your help as well.

EDIT: Ok looks like Brunel it is. It's way above City in the tables for Engineering. It beats Queen Mary even.

ReputationRep:
    I checked Google Maps and Beckenham is firmly within the M25. I can see that it's near Bromley so probably has a Kent postcode which is probably why you say it's Kent. I had a long argument with someone else over whether Romford is Essex or not so I will say that it's both. It's the Kent part of London. Fun fact: I believe that Beckenham is the one and only part of London that I have never set foot in. Obviously I don't I've been to every inch of London I just mean I've been to or at least passed through every other major area in London. I've been to Penge though. DUMP. I saw actual authentic chavs wearing burberry caps I was shocked. Anyway back on topic...

I see, so youre saying even if the engineering course at Brunel is better than City's the students aren't as up to scratch hence why the percentage of 2:1s or above are lower? Makes sense. That is the best explanation that I was hoping for because How well other students do doesn't impact on how well I do of course but teaching quality does. Im still so split mainly because City is much closer and has a better overall rep if not for engineering. Do you think a careers adviser would be able to help me? Thanks very much for your help as well.

EDIT: Ok looks like Brunel it is. It's way above City in the tables for Engineering. It beats Queen Mary even.
    Oh my life Penge is a terrible place! First time I went through there last night... I was pretty worried. Everyone seemed so mean, like they were going to rob me. Penge is about a 20 minute walk from my place (I live in Beckenham high street!)

With regards to the league tables, one shouldn't really *rely* on league tables. There are so many of them and none of them are a 100% representation, they should be taken with a pinch of salt. A friend of mine is doing Civil Engineering at Queen Mary - it's a Russell Group University - and, personally, I think would look better than Brunel or City on an application. Although a First/2:1 from either would look better than a 2:2 from QMUL!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my life Penge is a terrible place! First time I went through there last night... I was pretty worried. Everyone seemed so mean, like they were going to rob me. Penge is about a 20 minute walk from my place (I live in Beckenham high street!)

With regards to the league tables, one shouldn't really *rely* on league tables. There are so many of them and none of them are a 100% representation, they should be taken with a pinch of salt. A friend of mine is doing Civil Engineering at Queen Mary - it's a Russell Group University - and, personally, I think would look better than Brunel or City on an application. Although a First/2:1 from either would look better than a 2:2 from QMUL!
    Hey sorry I got banned.
    Yeah I'll check out Beckenham one day. Went with family to Gatwick airport on Sunday so I passed through the general area (Croydon)

Thanks for your advice. I'm planning on sticking with the apprenticeship should I get it and my uncle who is an engineer told me to do a vocational qualification in Computer Aided Design while driving me back from Gatwick (the two separate conversations have unexpectedly combined!) because he says that CAD is what's big now because everything is being done on computer. So all in all I think I'm unlikely to go to university (don't want to anyway) But thanks for all your help. What do you do might I ask? Engineering?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.