Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

External hard drive with windows on it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I bought an enclosure so I can turn an internal 750gb hard drive from my old PC into an external drive for backup purposes on my current PC. It has Windows on it however. Will this break anything if I connect it to my new PC? Ideally I want to reformat it. Maybe I should just reformat it while in my old PC?

I then need to faff around installing Windows on to a 120gb hard disk I have lying around for the old PC so that the old PC is still usable in emergencies. Going to be a clart.

ReputationRep:
    It is a good chance the OS on the external HDD won't even boot if it was installed on a different PC, and if it does try to it shouldn't do any harm.

It should pick it up if you plug it in after you have already booted, from which you can run what ever formatting tool you like. If it doesn't you can go into BIOS and ensure your internal HDD is booted first, not the external.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried that after I posted the thread. The machine detected the drive and I ****ed around with it in disk manager trying to format it. I removed the 10gb recovery partition but it wouldn't let me format the other 688gb. It gave the error "The format did not complete successfully" and left it in RAW format. So I took it out and placed it back in and it seemed to be back in NTFS. I decided **** it and thought just deleting all the folders on it would be good enough. I started with the Windows folder and mid way through the drive just seemed to vanish from My Computer. Took it out and put it back in and it's back in RAW format.

I don't really know what's going on with it. I don't want to **** around with it in command prompt on this computer in case I accidentally erase one of my internal disks. I'm not doing anything else tonight as I'm going out, so if anyone has any ideas let me know. I may place it back in my old computer tomorrow and see if I can format it from command line. I can't imagine it will boot up in that machine after what I've done to it. Failing this I may have to stop being cheap and buy a proper external drive.

Another fail is my 120gb disk from my older PC that I had intended to put into the old PC won't fit in as it's IDE and I've no cable or adapter for that. So now I don't even have a backup PC. Saying that I know IDE to SATA HDD adaptors are cheap so I can solve that. I just need to figure out how to fix this 750gb disk that I'm trying to get working as a backup drive.

ReputationRep:
    No one got any thoughts on this then?

ReputationRep:
    It could be that windows (that was already on the drive) set some weird permissions to protect itself from being deleted. You could download something like GParted and try that.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: Have you tried deleting all of the partitions on the disk and creating a new one or just formatting the one that's already there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    It could be that windows (that was already on the drive) set some weird permissions to protect itself from being deleted. You could download something like GParted and try that.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: Have you tried deleting all of the partitions on the disk and creating a new one or just formatting the one that's already there?
    Thanks, was about to try using this but it seems I've got bigger problems. The cheap enclosure I bought off eBay seems faulty and I can't even connect the power adapter to it any more.

I really need a backup solution fast, after messing with that drive I don't have any backups at all so taking a risk with none until I get an external HDD or something. Tempted to just go it the old fashioned way and get a blu-ray writer instead of faffing on with HDDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Thanks, was about to try using this but it seems I've got bigger problems. The cheap enclosure I bought off eBay seems faulty and I can't even connect the power adapter to it any more.

I really need a backup solution fast, after messing with that drive I don't have any backups at all so taking a risk with none until I get an external HDD or something. Tempted to just go it the old fashioned way and get a blu-ray writer instead of faffing on with HDDs.
    I wouldn't bother with a blu-ray writer, unless you want to watch blu-ray movies too. The drives are about £70 and the discs aren't cheap, blu-ray drives aren't common yet (or ever probably) so you won't be able to access the backups on many other computers and they're slow to read and write from. If I were you I'd get a USB hard drive from a decent manufacturer.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother with a blu-ray writer, unless you want to watch blu-ray movies too. The drives are about £70 and the discs aren't cheap, blu-ray drives aren't common yet (or ever probably) so you won't be able to access the backups on many other computers and they're slow to read and write from. If I were you I'd get a USB hard drive from a decent manufacturer.
    You can get them for £40 these days, but I agree it's not a good option. I'd happily purchase a 1 TB external drive but when I have a 750gb drive sitting doing nothing I hoped I could save money.

ReputationRep:
    If all you want is a back-up drive why not install the drive inside your PC?

ReputationRep:
    You can get them for £40 these days, but I agree it's not a good option
    £40? :eek::eek::eek:
    I've been looking in the wrong places then, where have you found that?

I'd happily purchase a 1 TB external drive but when I have a 750gb drive sitting doing nothing I hoped I could save money.
    Fair point. You'd probably be better spending a bit more on a better built enclosure.

ReputationRep:

Fair point. You'd probably be better spending a bit more on a better built enclosure.
    It's on an eBay shop but being talked about here.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony...-39-99-1516620

And yeah I may well do that. Waiting to hear back from the guy I bought the bad one from first though. He's away until tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I bought an enclosure so I can turn an internal 750gb hard drive from my old PC into an external drive for backup purposes on my current PC. It has Windows on it however. Will this break anything if I connect it to my new PC? Ideally I want to reformat it. Maybe I should just reformat it while in my old PC?

I then need to faff around installing Windows on to a 120gb hard disk I have lying around for the old PC so that the old PC is still usable in emergencies. Going to be a clart.
    If you connect two harddrives with Windows installed on them, you should be prompted which version of Windows you want to run during the boot sequence.
    If the versions of Windows are the same then it might not do that, but you can still choose the boot order of your drives (including external sources and CD drives), which would let you choose which Windows to launch, so it won't break anything

ReputationRep:
    Amazon sell LiteOn's for around £40, or you can get something by Asus for ~£70

ReputationRep:
    No one got any thoughts on this then?
    Have you tried deleting the entire partition on Disk Manager, and then reallocating it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Have you tried deleting the entire partition on Disk Manager, and then reallocating it?
    I can't do anything until I get a new enclosure. I don't think I tried that, or maybe I did and it wouldn't let me delete it. I can't remember now. Going to try format it in an old PC via the Windows installation disk as described here.

ReputationRep:
    I can't do anything until I get a new enclosure. I don't think I tried that, or maybe I did and it wouldn't let me delete it. I can't remember now. Going to try format it in an old PC via the Windows installation disk as described here.
    Yeah that should work, it's my preferred way of cleaning drives.

I've just got a buggered drive too, I'm suspecting physical damage because nothing is fixing the bad sectors 500GB as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Yeah that should work, it's my preferred way of cleaning drives.

I've just got a buggered drive too, I'm suspecting physical damage because nothing is fixing the bad sectors 500GB as well
    I managed to get my enclosure working again, it's really only the power cable that is faulty. The pins on it bend easily.

But when I got connected up I deleted the partition as you said and used the wizard to reallocate it all and format it. Using the Windows disk manager tool.

I thought it all went smoothly but it put it into RAW file system instead of NTFS despite selecting NTFS. I really don't know why it would do that. Think I will try that GParted tool.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get my enclosure working again, it's really only the power cable that is faulty. The pins on it bend easily.

But when I got connected up I deleted the partition as you said and used the wizard to reallocate it all and format it. Using the Windows disk manager tool.

I thought it all went smoothly but it put it into RAW file system instead of NTFS despite selecting NTFS. I really don't know why it would do that. Think I will try that GParted tool.
    Have you tried doing that with a different computer to see if the problem is with the drive or your computer?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried that after I posted the thread. The machine detected the drive and I ****ed around with it in disk manager trying to format it. I removed the 10gb recovery partition but it wouldn't let me format the other 688gb. It gave the error "The format did not complete successfully" and left it in RAW format. So I took it out and placed it back in and it seemed to be back in NTFS. I decided **** it and thought just deleting all the folders on it would be good enough. I started with the Windows folder and mid way through the drive just seemed to vanish from My Computer. Took it out and put it back in and it's back in RAW format.

I don't really know what's going on with it. I don't want to **** around with it in command prompt on this computer in case I accidentally erase one of my internal disks. I'm not doing anything else tonight as I'm going out, so if anyone has any ideas let me know. I may place it back in my old computer tomorrow and see if I can format it from command line. I can't imagine it will boot up in that machine after what I've done to it. Failing this I may have to stop being cheap and buy a proper external drive.

Another fail is my 120gb disk from my older PC that I had intended to put into the old PC won't fit in as it's IDE and I've no cable or adapter for that. So now I don't even have a backup PC. Saying that I know IDE to SATA HDD adaptors are cheap so I can solve that. I just need to figure out how to fix this 750gb disk that I'm trying to get working as a backup drive.
    I'd stay away from windows disk manager if I were you, it's all but useless. As another poster mentioned, use GParted - download it, burn the image file onto a CDR and boot, this gives you complete control as the computer is only running off the CDR. Partitioning almost always never fails with this - so use GParted to create an NTFS partition instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    I'd stay away from windows disk manager if I were you, it's all but useless. As another poster mentioned, use GParted - download it, burn the image file onto a CDR and boot, this gives you complete control as the computer is only running off the CDR. Partitioning almost always never fails with this - so use GParted to create an NTFS partition instead
    Bah I didn't know you had to do that with it. I don't have an optical writer in this machine. Think I'll just go with the Windows installation disk idea.

Have you tried doing that with a different computer to see if the problem is with the drive or your computer?
    I can't do that because this was the main drive on my old computer. Don't really fancy hooking up an even older machine from 2003 to test with.

I wonder if it's not formatting correctly because it could have bad sectors on it. As it was the C drive on the old machine for 4 years. Never had any issues with it when using the old machine however.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.