Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

External hard drive with windows on it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I've used my keyboard through them since forever. Also use them to transfer files to my phones and USB stick no problem, which is why I didn't suspect they could be the issue. From what I've found on Google it may well be a driver issue. Not something I'm going to look into solving tonight anyway. I can probably live with the inconvenience of having to use the back USB for the HDD to be honest, only going to be using it about once per month at most.
    It could also be a problem with the ports not supplying enough power for the drive; does the enclosure have a mains power supply or just from the USBs? I know my old laptop used to have a problem with my 2.5" external drive, so if it's a 3.5" drive that may be your problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    Are all of the USB ports connected to the chipset or are there additional USB controllers on your motherboard? Because they'll use different drivers to each other.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have with the keyboard in the front USB ports? If I did that the wires would drive me crazy.
    I can't really say unless I pull the PC apart. I do know that I can't use the front 3.0 ports because they aren't connected to anything (need an adapter which I ordered tonight) but that shouldn't affect the 2.0 ports surely.

Basically I have this case and this motherboard, if it helps.

I use a wireless keyboard so it's only the wireless receiver that is plugged in. I prefer it at the front so that it's easy to switch to my PS3. But I've just moved it to the back so that I can put the wireless receiver in a better position to avoid interference. Been years since I plugged it into my PS3 anyway. Wireless keyboards just aren't worth it, yet I like the feel of the keys so not bothered to buy a wired one.

(Original post by pratstercs)
    It could also be a problem with the ports not supplying enough power for the drive; does the enclosure have a mains power supply or just from the USBs? I know my old laptop used to have a problem with my 2.5" external drive, so if it's a 3.5" drive that may be your problem
    I'm connecting the drive via the power supply that came with in. I don't think USB 2 can power an HDD, I know 3.0 can though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm connecting the drive via the power supply that came with in. I don't think USB 2 can power an HDD, I know 3.0 can though.
    Ah right, there goes that idea then
    Some USB 2 can power HDDs, depends on the port and its output. Some struggle though, which might cause problems similar to yours

ReputationRep:
    I can't really say unless I pull the PC apart. I do know that I can't use the front 3.0 ports because they aren't connected to anything (need an adapter which I ordered tonight) but that shouldn't affect the 2.0 ports surely.

Basically I have this case and this motherboard, if it helps.

I use a wireless keyboard so it's only the wireless receiver that is plugged in. I prefer it at the front so that it's easy to switch to my PS3. But I've just moved it to the back so that I can put the wireless receiver in a better position to avoid interference. Been years since I plugged it into my PS3 anyway. Wireless keyboards just aren't worth it, yet I like the feel of the keys so not bothered to buy a wired one.

Wait until you get that adapter and see if it works in the 3.0 ports.

The only things I can think of it being are drivers or a dodgy connection on the front ports. Which port did you try it with on the back? Two of the 3.0 ports on the back of your motherboard are connected to a different chip but I couldn't find out which two. If you test it with a different port on the back and it acts the same as with the front port then that's probably why.

EDIT: Probably isn't if everything else works.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.