Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I cannot really afford a iPhone 4S or an iPhone5, as the monthly repayments are too expensive.

Are iPhone 4 simply antiquated these days? Is that why iPhone 4 is only £27 p/m on 02?

ReputationRep:
    Well many would say the camera is the most important difference, and I must say to me it seems to be the only difference. My Mother has an iPhone 4 and I have the 4s but mine is cheaper as I am on the one plan on 3 and she is on a plan with the same plan and she pays £36 whereas I pay £31.
    Just a recommendation, if you want something really good value, I recommend the Samsung S3 as it is better than any iPhone so far! It is cheaper and is less fragile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I cannot really afford a iPhone 4S or an iPhone5, as the monthly repayments are too expensive.

Are iPhone 4 simply antiquated these days? Is that why iPhone 4 is only £27 p/m on 02?
    Might be the only person to say this, but I got my iphone 4 only a few months ago. I only pay £24 a month on 3 for unlimited everything (I was already with them for three years though)

I love my iphone 4, the 4s isn't worth the extra money a month, and the 5 isn't worth the cost it's at right now at all. I think it looks clumsy too.

When my contract ends with my 4, the 5s will be out and I'll be in a better position to afford the 5, or maybe go with the Galaxy note which I almost went with a couple of months ago.

If you can get the iphone for less that £30 a month with a small or no upfront charge I'd go for it, depending on the phone you have now of course.

ReputationRep:
    If you insist on getting an iOS device, I'd go for the iPhone 4 as it isn't too much different from the 4S and 5. It runs apps and performs most of the functions very well. The only difference will be speed (which in reality is marginal), camera, size (for the 5) This is coming from a long term iPhone 4 owner.

Personally, I'd scrap getting the iPhone 4 and get a newer device that offers better value for money for the specs. Have a look at something like the Samsung Galaxy S3 or Google Nexus 4 maybe. You could alternatively consider buying the phone outright and get a sim-only contract which can often work out much cheaper. Pay Monthly is often quite expensive and tie you into a long term commitment to the plan.

ReputationRep:

Are you seriously considering paying £27pm for an iPhone 4?

I can get better phones for less than £10pm. I can also get the HTC One (best phone on the market right now) for less than £27pm. In fact you can get the iPhone 5 for less than £27pm...

Few questions,
    What's your monthly usage? (mins/texts/data)
    What phone do you use now/pay?
    What network are you on/want to avoid?
    What do you use your phone for? (Apps/games/internet)
    Why do you want an iPhone over windows/android?

ReputationRep:

I got my iPhone 4 second hand from a friend but in mint condition as it was a refurb sent to her to hardly used, I have a sim only tesco contract for it(its locked to O2) and I only pay £12.50 a month, 250mins, 5000 texts, 1.25GB data & unlimited BT Openzone WIFI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPhone 4, sim only contract at O2 which is £16.50 a moth for:
    300 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    500MB data

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my Iphone 4 has lasted about 26 months so far but the power button has stopped working completely and the home button is half broken. I have dropped it at least 100 times though.

I wouldn't bother with a 24 month contract to be honest.

I'm upgrading to a 4S soon but I'm buying it outright.

ReputationRep:
    iPhone 4S - T-MOBILE - 2,000 minutes, unlimited internet, unlimited texts - just £26/Month.

At least that deal was available...last month.

Looks like it's gone. Sorry lad.

ReputationRep:
    £27 a month is a rip off for an iPhone 4.
    You can get the 4S on contract for £26 a month
    http://mobiledeals.cnet.co.uk/deals/...mio_mini_deals
    Or the 5 for £26 a month but you have to put £90 towards the phone
    http://mobiledeals.cnet.co.uk/deals/...mio_mini_deals

Just buy a second hand iPhone and then go on GiffGaff. £10 gets you unlimited texts, 250 minutes and 1GB of internets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Well my Iphone 4 has lasted about 26 months so far but the power button has stopped working completely and the home button is half broken. I have dropped it at least 100 times though.

I wouldn't bother with a 24 month contract to be honest.

I'm upgrading to a 4S soon but I'm buying it outright.
    My iPhone 4 has lasted me nearly 3 years (come August), and I've dropped it just as many times as you have, including stepping on etc. I don't know why yours is in such a bad state! Mine looks brand new, no cracks! Maybe you should invest in a case....

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell did i get negged for trying to help the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Why the hell did i get negged for trying to help the OP?
    Probably because you said you can get a better phone for less than £10pm which I'd be interested to see. Otherwise your other points were pretty spot on, aside from outright saying that the HTC One is the best phone on the market, that's debatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut2456)
    Probably because you said you can get a better phone for less than £10pm which I'd be interested to see. Otherwise your other points were pretty spot on, aside from outright saying that the HTC One is the best phone on the market, that's debatable.
    Well the HTC One is technically the best phone available today. I was just making a point that you can get the phone for £26pm on contract yet the OP is considering paying £27pm for an iPhone 4 which is 3 years old and outdated.

You can get the Huawei Ascend P1 LTE which is better spec than the iPhone 4S. Plus it's a LTE Compatible phone so future proof and can be had on T-Mobile for £10.50pm with 50 mins/250 texts/250mb data. Sure it's a crap allowance but it's still around £10pm for a much much much better phone.

iPhones are overpriced, you should only ever consider the top end iPhone if you want to buy an iPhone as it's the only one that you can get at a good price for spec ratio.

ReputationRep:

Get an old iPhone 4 for like £200, then go on giff gaff for £10/12 a month. Simples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get an IOS device then an iPhone 4 is a good option. Pretty much the same as the 4s and the 5 except for Siri and a few other things, but on a whole not too much different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I currently have Blackberry Bold 9700 (lol) and am on 02 for £32 per month. My contract ran out 1 year ago, but am still paying them... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I currently have Blackberry Bold 9700 (lol) and am on 02 for £32 per month. My contract ran out 1 year ago, but am still paying them... :rolleyes:
    WHYYY?????

Are you super rich or something? Anyone who pays more than £30pm on a contract with a high end phone, especially when their contract is up, is just being ripped off.
    Of course there are exceptions but that's the general rule i go by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    WHYYY?????

Are you super rich or something? Anyone who pays more than £30pm on a contract with a high end phone, especially when their contract is up, is just being ripped off.
    Of course there are exceptions but that's the general rule i go by.
    I am just lazy and cannot be bothered to write them a letter asking to cancel.

And I need a new phone anyway, until I know which one, what's the point?

How do I cancel with 02 anyway, seeing as I am no longer under contract? Is it a simple thing?

ReputationRep:
    I am just lazy and cannot be bothered to write them a letter asking to cancel.

And I need a new phone anyway, until I know which one, what's the point?

How do I cancel with 02 anyway, seeing as I am no longer under contract? Is it a simple thing?
    Well do you want to cancel? or do you just want to lower your costs by moving to a sim only without a phone?

What's your current usage at the moment? Mins/texts/data?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.