Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I often sleepwalk, or half wake up and still be dreaming, and then I do really weird stuff, for example:

The other night, I half woke up and I leaned over and asked my mate who was sleeping on the floor if I had to get up in the morning. She said no. So I unplugged my clock at the plug. :wtf:
    I also tried to get under the covers with her, because I reckoned I'd been "kicked out" of my own bed.
    Last week I got out of bed and said "well if you're gonna be like that then!" and took a picture down off the shelf.
    A few weeks back I got up and shouted something about the Olympic torch at my friend.
    I've also texted people completely coherent but ridiculous text messages in the middle of the night, because I think I'm in the middle of a text conversation with them.

I can remember doing this stuff, but I can't remember why, or what I was dreaming.

The other morning I woke up and remembered being weird in the night, then I thought, ****, I start uni in October and I'm gonna be living in a flat with fifteen other people. What do I do?!?!

Has anyone else had experience with this weird waking up dreaming thing or sleepwalking and how do you deal with it when living with other people? It seems to happen more around other people, like if my friends stop over!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you'd just have to lock your bedroom door so you don't wander about the halls waking people up or scaring them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattiemcbinky)
    I suppose you'd just have to lock your bedroom door so you don't wander about the halls waking people up or scaring them
    Depends how bad your sleepwalking is/ what you can do in that state. I'd probably be able to unlock my bedroom door at uni. I'd go for warn your flatmates that you do sleepwalk, to make sure you go to bed in pyjamas, so if you do manage to leave your flat, you're not left in the hallway naked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattiemcbinky)

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    Depends how bad your sleepwalking is/ what you can do in that state. I'd probably be able to unlock my bedroom door at uni. I'd go for warn your flatmates that you do sleepwalk, to make sure you go to bed in pyjamas, so if you do manage to leave your flat, you're not left in the hallway naked.
    Yeah pretty sure I'd be able to unlock my door :/ it's so weird! I wonder what causes people to sleepwalk. And haha yes I always wear pyjamas :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emthedrummer)
    I often sleepwalk, or half wake up and still be dreaming, and then I do really weird stuff, for example:

The other night, I half woke up and I leaned over and asked my mate who was sleeping on the floor if I had to get up in the morning. She said no. So I unplugged my clock at the plug. :wtf:
    I also tried to get under the covers with her, because I reckoned I'd been "kicked out" of my own bed.
    Last week I got out of bed and said "well if you're gonna be like that then!" and took a picture down off the shelf.
    A few weeks back I got up and shouted something about the Olympic torch at my friend.
    I've also texted people completely coherent but ridiculous text messages in the middle of the night, because I think I'm in the middle of a text conversation with them.

I can remember doing this stuff, but I can't remember why, or what I was dreaming.

The other morning I woke up and remembered being weird in the night, then I thought, ****, I start uni in October and I'm gonna be living in a flat with fifteen other people. What do I do?!?!

Has anyone else had experience with this weird waking up dreaming thing or sleepwalking and how do you deal with it when living with other people? It seems to happen more around other people, like if my friends stop over!
    I'm a very odd sleeper as well and so is one of my uni friends. I just locked my door from the inside in halls and that was okay. Don't worry too much about it, maybe just let your flatmates know after a few days... (not straight away, you don't want to be known as the weird sleepwalker in Freshers' week!)

ReputationRep:
    I used to sleep walk/talk really badly so I started to go to sleep earlier (used to go to sleep after 1am all the time) and that helped. Probably not going to happen at uni :P sleeping pills?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah pretty sure I'd be able to unlock my door :/ it's so weird! I wonder what causes people to sleepwalk. And haha yes I always wear pyjamas :L
    Honestly I'd say don't worry about it. The people you are going to be living with are going to very quickly become as close to you as family. I am best friends with the first person I ever met at my halls, 5 years on. And guess what, she sleepwalks like a pro! She regularly wakes me up with ridiculous requests or stories while she's sleeping. And when she did it in halls it just became a funny story we would tell, just like my drunken antics or another friends sex stories! They'll love you, sleep walking included.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becimarie)
    Honestly I'd say don't worry about it. The people you are going to be living with are going to very quickly become as close to you as family. I am best friends with the first person I ever met at my halls, 5 years on. And guess what, she sleepwalks like a pro! She regularly wakes me up with ridiculous requests or stories while she's sleeping. And when she did it in halls it just became a funny story we would tell, just like my drunken antics or another friends sex stories! They'll love you, sleep walking included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your last sentence basically soothed all my fears about uni, thank you for being excellent. :L

ReputationRep:

Hi fellow sleep walker, I understand exactly how you feel... I would wake up in the night and do crazy things like, punch my bedroom screaming "robbers are trying to steal my carpet" my poor sister would hide under her covers praying I don't kill her. Funny thing is, no one told me I sleep walk until I turned 14, my brother showed me a video I was like WTF.

Anyway sleepwalking happens due to stress, lack of sleep, lack of structure in sleeping timetable drinking alcohol, or taking drugs. Also maybe you should go doctors, adult sleepwalkers are advise too (As your suppose to grow out of sleepwalking).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British199)

Hi fellow sleep walker, I understand exactly how you feel... I would wake up in the night and do crazy things like, punch my bedroom screaming "robbers are trying to steal my carpet" my poor sister would hide under her covers praying I don't kill her. Funny thing is, no one told me I sleep walk until I turned 14, my brother showed me a video I was like WTF.

Anyway sleepwalking happens due to stress, lack of sleep, lack of structure in sleeping timetable drinking alcohol, or taking drugs. Also maybe you should go doctors, adult sleepwalkers are advise too (As your suppose to grow out of sleepwalking).
    The worst part is that I'm awake and I remember it, and I kind of recognise "this is weird", but I can't stop myself, I'm too caught up in the dream-like state to stop. Haha robbers trying to steal your carpet :L
    Good point about the alcohol, I haven't really thought about it but maybe it does happen more when I've been drinking. I'll have a chat with the doc about it tomorrow, seeing as I'm already on my way there!

ReputationRep:
    I was staying at my brother's house about a year ago and I slept walked in to his room and woke his wife up. Apparently I said 'should we go down to the cart as I need some onions..' Apparently I was having a lovely conversation to myself about utter crap. I did stare the **** out of my poor sister-in-law but my brother wasn't phased at all being used to it.

I also done a similar thing at my sister's house in the US. But this time I got out of bed and just stood in the door way starring at my sister and her husband. I kinda remember this happening as she asked what I was doing and just said 'stretching my legs' and when she told me to go back to bed I did.

I quite regularly take a wonder in the night especially if i'm feeling stressed or not in my own surroundings..
    yeah, my flat mates are gonna have a laugh at me in September! :L

ReputationRep:
    I can completely sympathise with you, i've climbed out of my window to get my duvet which i threw out of my window in my sleep just hours earlier.

ReputationRep:

What kind of stuff have you texted people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    What kind of stuff have you texted people?
    Um... I once texted my bandmate my opinion on a manager who didn't exist, but who I thought we'd been in a discussion with... I wasn't keen on him, and I thought we should talk it over as a band.
    It's like normal stuff to talk about, but it makes no sense because it's not real...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.