Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Oxbridge Boat Race... What is the appeal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I write this as my partner is downstairs cheering on Cambridge in the boat race...
    He did his masters at Cambridge and seems unable in explaining to me why it's so important and why I should be excited about it too. I think he mumbled something about tradition and pride and cool...

It can't be something exclusively appealing to Oxbridge folk, else it wouldn't have a slot on the beeb can it?

So what about it is so exciting?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's one of the oldest and closest competitions between two institutions around :dontknow:

Personally I don't make an effort of watching it, but I take an interest in the outcome and I could imagine people following it closely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Well it's one of the oldest and closest competitions between two institutions around :dontknow:
    Is that enough to make something interesting though? I mean at the end of the day it's just some lads rowing down a river. I used to canoe, and we'd stumble across the rowing clubs having a race down the Trent... It was just as tense and interesting, and less predictable... I dunno, I can't really see the appeal outside of the people who went there.

ReputationRep:
    well if I'm going to be forced to watch two teams who haven't earned a place in the spotlight by being the best in the country, simply due to 'tradition', then I'd rather watch something with a bit more substance, like the rugby match...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letitia)
    Is that enough to make something interesting though? I mean at the end of the day it's just some lads rowing down a river. I used to canoe, and we'd stumble across the rowing clubs having a race down the Trent... It was just as tense and interesting, and less predictable... I dunno, I can't really see the appeal outside of the people who went there.
    Well you could say the same about the Olympics, or the Premiere League, compared to lower-level competition?

ReputationRep:
    It's an excuse for a Pimms or a G+T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Well you could say the same about the Olympics, or the Premiere League, compared to lower-level competition?
    With the Olympics it was just a short burst, not sustained. Also they're representing us as a country, same with football, they're representing a city a large collection of people from all walks of life...

The boat race is of people from an exclusive sort of place... I find it interesting that lots of people find it really interesting, and more importantly can pick a team to support... Based on what exactly though?

I know it's a bit of a stupid thread and question, I just find it quite interesting. Especially that someone who went to one of the university's can't really explain it either.

ReputationRep:
    Tradition and history. What else does a country have?

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for 500 years in the future when "quidditch" becomes tradition and the Oxbridge quidditch match is broadcast on national television.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's a rowing competition between two traditional institutions. People who are affiliated with one or the other obviously want to see theirs win, people who are into sports obviously want to admire the physical prowess, and others who want to be classy and up to date with current affairs watch it to discuss it.

Plus it's only short and not much else is on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    It's a rowing competition between two traditional institutions. People who are affiliated with one or the other obviously want to see theirs win, people who are into sports obviously want to admire the physical prowess, and others who want to be classy and up to date with current affairs watch it to discuss it.

Plus it's only short and not much else is on
    +1'd thanks... Those pesky folks who are into sports again. I watched last year, there weren't even any hotties to spy on!

Makes sense! Does seem quite a lot of fuss over not a lot, but then I'm not into sports. Did enjoy the Olympics and especially the ladies football in my defense though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    I can't wait for 500 years in the future when "quidditch" becomes tradition and the Oxbridge quidditch match is broadcast on national television.
    Oxford has a quidditch team...

ReputationRep:
    Like you mentioned in the original post, I think the main reason people watch it is the tradition. It's one of the oldest sporting events in the world (over 150 years) and also is one of the only world class sporting events where the contestants aren't paid. You might not think that tradition is important, but surely grand sporting events such as the Tour de France and Wimbeldon are built on their history and prestige. If l'equipe randomly organised a cycling event in france starting this year, it wouldn't be nearly as big an event as the TdF is now- even if they managed to draw in all of cycling's big names.
    Other draws with the boat race are that it's free; if the weather's good on race day (unlike today) it's a good day out and it's on the tideway so it's very unpredictable (ie. boats can get swamped).
    If you're a rower, the boat race can also be a bit of a 'galactico' contest. You wouldn't get legendary rowers such as Louloudis and Howard competing in the same boat in other contexts, and for rowers (if not members of the public) this a definately big draw - as in the Olympics/world championships everyone just competes for their own country in the same old crew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letitia)
    The boat race is of people from an exclusive sort of place... I find it interesting that lots of people find it really interesting, and more importantly can pick a team to support... Based on what exactly though?
    You should have seen the BBC interviewing some of the 'common' spectators! They we're like, "so why are you supporting Oxford.... I see, but you obviously didn't go there." :L Some people said that it was just because they lived closer to one team, another bloke said he'd been up Oxford and they we're already in the spirit so he thought he'd support them!

Personally, I don't mind the race itself, but tbh I like watching sports in general Some of the build up was a bit OTT, but then all televised sport is turning into the (You should have seen the tv build up to 'Judgement Day' for yesterday's rugby. They made two normal league matches sound like the greatest spectacle mankind would ever witness, just because the 4 Welsh regions we're playing back to back in the Millennium!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Oxford has a quidditch team...
    I know, but it will become tradition within a few centurys!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I didn't care if we lost (I go to Cambridge). I now feel distraught.

ReputationRep:
    Innit. What a load of boring ****.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about last year's boat race was that man who jumped in front of the boats.

ReputationRep:
    Rowing as a sport has become much more popular over the last few years, and this is a brilliant platform to inspire - which for the sport itself is great. The event obviously has history and because it's not a sport that is on tv all the time I guess more people would be happy to watch it for 20 minutes? I thought the race was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Innit. What a load of boring ****.
    Rowing's like F1 (or actually most sports on TV), if you don't know anything about what's going on or you're not actually there (for the atmosphere etc.) then you're probably not going to enjoy it

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.