Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Don't know if I need help? Watch

Hi,

For the 3 or so years I've really been struggling to get myself motivated, or to do anything really. I sit down to work and can do about 30 minutes work in 6 hours. I know what I need to do, I'll have a to-do list, but I just don't do it.

Take now for example, I'm writing up some practical work. I've done most of it, all I need to do is find some sources to add to my introduction and discussion (where I already have bullet pointed what I need to say) and write it out nicely. Am I doing it? No. I keep getting distracted and I just can't focus on it. I'll go onto my email and 2 hours later find myself reading loads of articles about random stuff one email linked me too. I don't even realize its happened. I have other stuff I feel like I need to do, like write out all the pay I'm due for work or something. I'm just constantly distracted.

Even in the library at uni I can't keep my focus, its better than at home but I can still find my self in a day dream. Lectures pose a similar problem, I find it hard to listen for more than 10 minutes even if I'm really interested in the topic. I have a dictophone which helps, though I never find the time to go over it.

The problem just seems to be getting worse and its showing in my grades. At GCSE I got the best grades in my year for my school, I wasn't particularly naturally smart, I knew people smarted than me who could look at something and just understand it, I was just really good at working all of the time and practicing stuff till I understood it. From my June AS exams on-wards though I've been finding it harder and harder. I seem to get less done every time, I'm always procrastinating, even the day before the exam. I under performed at A level, getting a grade less than predicted in all of my subjects and in my recent January 2nd year uni exams my highest score was 63 (lowest: 59) which was only because I did well in coursework. I barely did any work for those exams, and while I know they are not awful grades, I know I can do better than that. I feel like I am letting everyone down and I'm just so embarrassed.

I've tried talking to my mum about it but she just keeps telling me I always do well, and I'll be fine. And if I don't know what I am doing or don't understand it to talk to my tutor (which I'm too embarrassed to do). I've tried explaining that I do understand it, and I do know what to do, but she responds with "You don't have a problem then! I can't sit down and make you work, just turn off your phone and do it." and that I need more sleep and should go to bed or take a proper break where I don't think about it. She also refers to my little "episodes" that I have before exams where I get really stressed out, become certain I'm going to fail the exam (only ever been confident about one exam my entire life) and cry constantly for a few hours until I feel a bit better and carry on like it never happened. She says its just me having no confidence in myself again and that I will be fine.

Outside of studying, I seem to have similar problems. I often can't get to sleep on a night because I can't turn my brain off and I'm constantly thinking, and I almost always wake up tired regardless of how much sleep I have had. I find it hard to relax too, I'm usually thinking that I've got something more important to do, even on my birthday which is supposed to be a day I'm "allowed" off. Often I'll end up procrastinating fun time away. I'll set myself an hour to play Skyrim and then end up checking emails and on facebook for that hour. The rest of the time I'll cancel it because I don't deserve it when I've gotten so little done.

My mum says everyone has these problems and I just need to get on or study differently. Some of my friends say they have similar issues in not getting much done (though they have better grades then me and I feel like they do more work) but I don't know if they have it to the same extent. I don't know if this is normal and I should just try harder or if I should speak to the university counselling service or something? I find it really hard to open up to people, and I don't want to go in and just be treated like I'm being silly (which happened when I tried to speak to my doctor about it last year, she said I had some issues, but used a dictaphone so was clearly coping).

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this off my chest.
    Thank you.

Anyone?

hello,
    to me it just sounds as if your over working your brain concentrating more on what you 'think' your going to do rather than applying it physically, i have the same problem i set myself goals/to-do lists then never end up doing the half of it all, maybe just take a break from the stress of work, take a relaxing hot bath, clear your mind, do something you enjoy doing or have not done in a while , works for me , enjoy the time you have and don't set the bar so high for yourself, do and plan things in moderation/realistically.
    enjoy life, quit routine and remember to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

For the 3 or so years I've really been struggling to get myself motivated, or to do anything really. I sit down to work and can do about 30 minutes work in 6 hours. I know what I need to do, I'll have a to-do list, but I just don't do it.

Take now for example, I'm writing up some practical work. I've done most of it, all I need to do is find some sources to add to my introduction and discussion (where I already have bullet pointed what I need to say) and write it out nicely. Am I doing it? No. I keep getting distracted and I just can't focus on it. I'll go onto my email and 2 hours later find myself reading loads of articles about random stuff one email linked me too. I don't even realize its happened. I have other stuff I feel like I need to do, like write out all the pay I'm due for work or something. I'm just constantly distracted.

Even in the library at uni I can't keep my focus, its better than at home but I can still find my self in a day dream. Lectures pose a similar problem, I find it hard to listen for more than 10 minutes even if I'm really interested in the topic. I have a dictophone which helps, though I never find the time to go over it.

The problem just seems to be getting worse and its showing in my grades. At GCSE I got the best grades in my year for my school, I wasn't particularly naturally smart, I knew people smarted than me who could look at something and just understand it, I was just really good at working all of the time and practicing stuff till I understood it. From my June AS exams on-wards though I've been finding it harder and harder. I seem to get less done every time, I'm always procrastinating, even the day before the exam. I under performed at A level, getting a grade less than predicted in all of my subjects and in my recent January 2nd year uni exams my highest score was 63 (lowest: 59) which was only because I did well in coursework. I barely did any work for those exams, and while I know they are not awful grades, I know I can do better than that. I feel like I am letting everyone down and I'm just so embarrassed.

I've tried talking to my mum about it but she just keeps telling me I always do well, and I'll be fine. And if I don't know what I am doing or don't understand it to talk to my tutor (which I'm too embarrassed to do). I've tried explaining that I do understand it, and I do know what to do, but she responds with "You don't have a problem then! I can't sit down and make you work, just turn off your phone and do it." and that I need more sleep and should go to bed or take a proper break where I don't think about it. She also refers to my little "episodes" that I have before exams where I get really stressed out, become certain I'm going to fail the exam (only ever been confident about one exam my entire life) and cry constantly for a few hours until I feel a bit better and carry on like it never happened. She says its just me having no confidence in myself again and that I will be fine.

Outside of studying, I seem to have similar problems. I often can't get to sleep on a night because I can't turn my brain off and I'm constantly thinking, and I almost always wake up tired regardless of how much sleep I have had. I find it hard to relax too, I'm usually thinking that I've got something more important to do, even on my birthday which is supposed to be a day I'm "allowed" off. Often I'll end up procrastinating fun time away. I'll set myself an hour to play Skyrim and then end up checking emails and on facebook for that hour. The rest of the time I'll cancel it because I don't deserve it when I've gotten so little done.

My mum says everyone has these problems and I just need to get on or study differently. Some of my friends say they have similar issues in not getting much done (though they have better grades then me and I feel like they do more work) but I don't know if they have it to the same extent. I don't know if this is normal and I should just try harder or if I should speak to the university counselling service or something? I find it really hard to open up to people, and I don't want to go in and just be treated like I'm being silly (which happened when I tried to speak to my doctor about it last year, she said I had some issues, but used a dictaphone so was clearly coping).

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this off my chest.
    Thank you.
    I get this too. It's so frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.