Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have pretty much unconditional offers from Imperial and UCL for Physics. Imperial is more prestigeous and meant to have a better course, although UCL is definately not that far behind it, if at all. The topics taught are pretty similar methinks.
    One thing I've heard a lot of is that Imperial's worklaod is crazy when compared to other universities... add that to the fact I'm going to be competing with like absolute genii. Also socail lifes will prob be affected by all this... but not tooooo bothered about that... I'm just a pretty lazy guy, kinda slept thru my a levels, dno if I'll be able to cope with a high workload and actually use my brain lol :P
    It just seems seems like it would make a bit more sense to go UCL? Surely sacrificing a tiny little bit of prestige for what's apparently an easier degree and a much higher chance of getting a first makes sense?
    I'm just interested to know why those at Imperial chose to study there and if you could perhaps advise me and lmk about your experiences... is the workload really that much worse than other unis?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAdrianoo789)
    So I have pretty much unconditional offers from Imperial and UCL for Physics. Imperial is more prestigeous and meant to have a better course, although UCL is definately not that far behind it, if at all. The topics taught are pretty similar methinks.
    One thing I've heard a lot of is that Imperial's worklaod is crazy when compared to other universities... add that to the fact I'm going to be competing with like absolute genii. Also socail lifes will prob be affected by all this... but not tooooo bothered about that... I'm just a pretty lazy guy, kinda slept thru my a levels, dno if I'll be able to cope with a high workload and actually use my brain lol :P
    It just seems seems like it would make a bit more sense to go UCL? Surely sacrificing a tiny little bit of prestige for what's apparently an easier degree and a much higher chance of getting a first makes sense?
    I'm just interested to know why those at Imperial chose to study there and if you could perhaps advise me and lmk about your experiences... is the workload really that much worse than other unis?
    thanks
    The difference of prestige will hardly give you an advantage in the job market, because it's very small and everyone will have a different opinion on who is more prestigious between those two. What will really matter is how good you will be in your subject area. The skills you learned.

And just to put things straight - the output will always correlate with the input. You won't find a degree which will teach you a lot at a very low work rate. In the end, it does not matter where you study - if you want to become good at something, you will have to work hard either way.

If you want to sleep your way through uni, not use your brain at all, and then land a high paying prestigious job just because the uni you graduated from is well ranked - then I am sorry to disappoint you mate, it doesn't work that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeGrand)
    The difference of prestige will hardly give you an advantage in the job market, because it's very small and everyone will have a different opinion on who is more prestigious between those two. What will really matter is how good you will be in your subject area. The skills you learned.

And just to put things straight - the output will always correlate with the input. You won't find a degree which will teach you a lot at a very low work rate. In the end, it does not matter where you study - if you want to become good at something, you will have to work hard either way.

If you want to sleep your way through uni, not use your brain at all, and then land a high paying prestigious job just because the uni you graduated from is well ranked - then I am sorry to disappoint you mate, it doesn't work that way.
    I know I know, I don't to sleep my way through uni. I'm just saying frmo what I hear UCL is meant to be much easier to get a first in? I guess if I wanted to learn crazy amounts of Physics, which I do, then yeh, Imperila would be a better option as you say, u need to have your in input :P its just the crazy workload puts me off... and for what? I'll have a top degree wherever i go... mehh

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is specifically renowned for Physics and engineering. Imperial ranks higher in almost every league table, and on top, it's the best! + University degree and reputation matters if you're going abroad or in highly competitive jobs IMO. Don't make that your only reason thouh.

ReputationRep:
    Neither will be easier to get a first in, you will always have people on your course who will be these genii you describe, either because of the amount of work they put in, or because they come to grips with the concepts and the way the courses are taught easier than others.

It is entirely up to you. If you concerned about the university ranking, I think we (Imperial) are still slightly higher regarded in terms of the physics course, though of course you will be able to get a good degree from either. You might also want to consider:
    >What part of London you want to be in
    >What the Unions are like and what social opportunities are available to you (but don't be fooled, Imperial has plenty of those on offer, despite what the naysayers will tell you)
    >What the course structure/modules are like on each course. If you want to be able to pick and choose as you progress, Imperial offers this in 3rd and 4th year physics, which I thought was pretty good.

Also, the workload is not crazy. If you stack up your extra curricular stuff, or take a lot of options at the same time in 3rd and 4th year, then yes, you will find your free-time severely reduced, but that's not unique to Imperial. Being a fresher is quite demanding anyway, or certainly feels like, as there's so much stuff going on seemingly all the time, which is even oh-so more apparent in London.

In your position I'd suggest finding out all you can about each course, then coming to some kind of conclusion about which suits you. As per usual, I'd be happy to answer questions about the Physics Course at Imperial (and would say to choose it over UCL too :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracion)
    Neither will be easier to get a first in, you will always have people on your course who will be these genii you describe, either because of the amount of work they put in, or because they come to grips with the concepts and the way the courses are taught easier than others.

It is entirely up to you. If you concerned about the university ranking, I think we (Imperial) are still slightly higher regarded in terms of the physics course, though of course you will be able to get a good degree from either. You might also want to consider:
    >What part of London you want to be in
    >What the Unions are like and what social opportunities are available to you (but don't be fooled, Imperial has plenty of those on offer, despite what the naysayers will tell you)
    >What the course structure/modules are like on each course. If you want to be able to pick and choose as you progress, Imperial offers this in 3rd and 4th year physics, which I thought was pretty good.

Also, the workload is not crazy. If you stack up your extra curricular stuff, or take a lot of options at the same time in 3rd and 4th year, then yes, you will find your free-time severely reduced, but that's not unique to Imperial. Being a fresher is quite demanding anyway, or certainly feels like, as there's so much stuff going on seemingly all the time, which is even oh-so more apparent in London.

In your position I'd suggest finding out all you can about each course, then coming to some kind of conclusion about which suits you. As per usual, I'd be happy to answer questions about the Physics Course at Imperial (and would say to choose it over UCL too :P)
    Here's my logic atm, tell me what you think :P
    UCL entry reqs AAA-AAB
    Imperial apparently 70% of current 1st years have 2A*s+
    The competetion at UCL will be much lower so it'll be easier to get a first no? And the fact the UCL degree is meant to be less work intensive wil only add to this :P
    With regards to where in London... I'll be living at home.. and UCL is closer... I guess that also will make UCL easier :P
    I'm pretty sure the courses are pretty much the same.. module titlewise, altho UCL theoretical has only 1 year of labs, which may be appealing :P
    So yeah... Imperial is meant to have a better name and more prestigeous, but does it really make that much of a diff at undergrad level? I could always go do a master at Imperial if I wish to stay in Physics? :P

As you can see I evry much like to over-think things, but meh

With regards to Imperial... how much work did you find yourself doing a week.. and how full is the timetable generally?
    THanks

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about how smart the other students might be. Things are quite different at university, so even if you scraped your A-level offer, you can still get a first, whereas some people who aced their A-levels with straight A*s may not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerch)
    I wouldn't worry about how smart the other students might be. Things are quite different at university, so even if you scraped your A-level offer, you can still get a first, whereas some people who aced their A-levels with straight A*s may not.
    Well seeing as I got straight A*s, that's not very good

ReputationRep:
    Only one way to find out.

ReputationRep:
    What Kerch said. Uni presents a very different style of working to school and sixth form I find (though there's a lot of variety between sixth forms, so I'm told). I know of plenty of people like myself who have found the course pretty challenging, despite getting A*s and feeling like A levels were a walkover (they weren't, but comparatively that's how it feels on occasion). Others only got the minimum requirements for the offer, yet seem to work much better.

Again, I must stress, this won't make it easier to get a first. No one walks through uni and there will always be those people who seem to do ridiculously well.

Work wise, it's about 40 hours a week, perhaps a few more depending on how you choose to do your coursework + any set problems. That's 9-5 weekdays. If you choose to lay on the modules later on in one term, this will be higher. I was working 55+ hours a week last term, but that included a lab + computational course, and my lab involved a lot of data collection outside of hours with extra research. Revision is probably more time, depending on what your style is. Honestly though, I would not expect this to be much different between either university.

As for timetable wise, here's roughly what I had in 1st year:

Monday:
    10-12: Lecture & classwork
    2-5: Labs

Tuesday:
    9-12: Labs
    2-4: Lectures

Wednesday:
    9-12: Lecture, classwork, lecture

Thursday:
    10: Academic Tutorial (50 mins).
    2-5: Lecture, classwork, lecture

Friday:
    4: Seminar (Professional skills).

2nd year is much the same, 3rd year is different but total contact hours don't really change (expect more gaps and awkward timings depending what you take). They are redoing how classworks work though, with smaller groups as far as I am aware, so this may well be different for people starting this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracion)
    What Kerch said. Uni presents a very different style of working to school and sixth form I find (though there's a lot of variety between sixth forms, so I'm told). I know of plenty of people like myself who have found the course pretty challenging, despite getting A*s and feeling like A levels were a walkover (they weren't, but comparatively that's how it feels on occasion). Others only got the minimum requirements for the offer, yet seem to work much better.

Again, I must stress, this won't make it easier to get a first. No one walks through uni and there will always be those people who seem to do ridiculously well.

Work wise, it's about 40 hours a week, perhaps a few more depending on how you choose to do your coursework + any set problems. That's 9-5 weekdays. If you choose to lay on the modules later on in one term, this will be higher. I was working 55+ hours a week last term, but that included a lab + computational course, and my lab involved a lot of data collection outside of hours with extra research. Revision is probably more time, depending on what your style is. Honestly though, I would not expect this to be much different between either university.

As for timetable wise, here's roughly what I had in 1st year:

Monday:
    10-12: Lecture & classwork
    2-5: Labs

Tuesday:
    9-12: Labs
    2-4: Lectures

Wednesday:

Thursday:
    10: Academic Tutorial (50 mins).
    2-5: Lecture, classwork, lecture

Friday:
    4: Seminar (Professional skills).

2nd year is much the same, 3rd year is different but total contact hours don't really change (expect more gaps and awkward timings depending what you take). They are redoing how classworks work though, with smaller groups as far as I am aware, so this may well be different for people starting this year.
    Mmmm, interesting... some days start at 10... noice! So ur basiclaly saying that the poeple in UCL and imperial will be of basically the same ability when it comes to a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerch)
    You know, I totally agree with this from my observation and from the many experiences from my friends and friends of friends, etc

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm, interesting... some days start at 10... noice! So ur basiclaly saying that the poeple in UCL and imperial will be of basically the same ability when it comes to a degree?
    Yup. This can vary even more as you progress further with options, so don't worry about having to be in for 9am every day.

I have no idea what the actual skill level is, but I doubt you'd be able to tell. You could easily end up at UCL and think "**** these guys really know their stuff" or come to Imperial and think "Not as bad as I thought it would be, I can hold my own amongst these people".

Trick is to remember it's your education, don't need to worry how other people are doing, so long as you do as well as you can

ReputationRep:
    Why Imperial?

Because it's a fantastic academic institution that's why!

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    Imperial has a MUCH better reputation for Physics than UCL. If you got into Imperial then you are obviously not stupid yourself. Gosh.

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as I got straight A*s, that's not very good
    That's just pure logic.

Assuming everyone on your course has similar A Level grades (and therefore intellect), not everyone will end up with the same degree class, for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooIntelligent)
    Imperial has a MUCH better reputation for Physics than UCL. If you got into Imperial then you are obviously not stupid yourself. Gosh.
    yeah, but if i decide not to saty in physics then it doesnt make too much of a diff if i have an imp or ucl degree :P mehhh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.