Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had a tough time the past year suffering panic attacks and anxiety...I'm finally on the road to recovery and thought dating might help me become more confident. I met this guy online and we've been on a couple of dates, however I cancelled the third date saying I wasn't sure I was ready for dating, I just get so nervous and anxious beforehand!

I've told him a bit about my anxiety but get the feeling he doesn't really understand. He's a really nice guy but I'm lacking so much self confidence. Should I take the plunge and go for it? Or wait till I'm a bit better than I am...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had a tough time the past year suffering panic attacks and anxiety...I'm finally on the road to recovery and thought dating might help me become more confident. I met this guy online and we've been on a couple of dates, however I cancelled the third date saying I wasn't sure I was ready for dating, I just get so nervous and anxious beforehand!

I've told him a bit about my anxiety but get the feeling he doesn't really understand. He's a really nice guy but I'm lacking so much self confidence. Should I take the plunge and go for it? Or wait till I'm a bit better than I am...
    Hey there! I'm kinda new to TSR but I spotted this and thought, hey I can answer that! So recently I broke up with my girlfriend who had similar problems to you, and it affected me a lot as I was her rock, and I couldn't cope basically. Also I realised that not only did I cause some of her anxiety that I was stopping her from getting better.

If I was you, I would go and get some proper help for your anxiety, a counsellor works wonders trust me and I wouldn't think about dating anyone as its already starting to cause problems, you need to be 100% focused on getting better and having a boyfriend is generally not recommended as they just cause worries and don't help with your recovery. Glad to hear you're getting better, I hope it goes well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.