Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I'm doing my AS levels right now and was just wondering what the typical offers from Durham university might be for English or Psychology? I got 8A*s and 2As at GCSEs but I heard Durham applicants often have 10A*s so things get pretty competitive :O And I heard they don't interview so what would I need to get at AS to get an offer?
    Also, does Durham have 'socials' like some universities do?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightnails)
    Hey guys

I'm doing my AS levels right now and was just wondering what the typical offers from Durham university might be for English or Psychology? I got 8A*s and 2As at GCSEs but I heard Durham applicants often have 10A*s so things get pretty competitive :O And I heard they don't interview so what would I need to get at AS to get an offer?

Thanks!
    Not sure where you heard that from, A2 predictions and AS grades are much more important in your application, no point having good GCSEs if you didn't perform at AS, what course are you looking to study, and what ASs are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Not sure where you heard that from, A2 predictions and AS grades are much more important in your application, no point having good GCSEs if you didn't perform at AS, what course are you looking to study, and what ASs are you doing?
    I'm doing Engish lit, French, History and Psychology and I'm thinking of either taking either English lit. or psychology on to university (not too sure which yet!) - do you know how well would I have to do at AS to actually get an offer? (It was one of my friends who tole me GCSEs were very competitive, I'll have to tell her she's got it wrong :P)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    8A*'s would be fine for Durham, so many people get hung up about the number of A*'s they have, as long as you have a few you'll be fine, they are much more interested in your A Levels. 2A*'s is definitely not going to be a deal breaker.

A Level offers are usually around AAA or A*AA so you probably want to be getting around AABB with good predictions for next year. Most people I know got offered AAA.

Durham has a lot of social events, generally within the colleges. The city isn't as good for night life as larger cities, but it's still fine for general nights out, and Newcastle is really close and has really good night life so people tend to go there. Some of the colleges are within walking distance of the city centre whereas with others you would definitely need to get a bus or taxi, so choosing your college and accommodation carefully will make it easier for you to just walk into town for events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    8A*'s would be fine for Durham, so many people get hung up about the number of A*'s they have, as long as you have a few you'll be fine, they are much more interested in your A Levels. 2A*'s is definitely not going to be a deal breaker.

A Level offers are usually around AAA or A*AA so you probably want to be getting around AABB with good predictions for next year. Most people I know got offered AAA.

Durham has a lot of social events, generally within the colleges. The city isn't as good for night life as larger cities, but it's still fine for general nights out, and Newcastle is really close and has really good night life so people tend to go there. Some of the colleges are within walking distance of the city centre whereas with others you would definitely need to get a bus or taxi, so choosing your college and accommodation carefully will make it easier for you to just walk into town for events.
    Thank you! I really want to apply to Durham - guess I better get revising :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Engish lit, French, History and Psychology and I'm thinking of either taking either English lit. or psychology on to university (not too sure which yet!) - do you know how well would I have to do at AS to actually get an offer? (It was one of my friends who tole me GCSEs were very competitive, I'll have to tell her she's got it wrong :P)
    Well the minimum you should be looking at is AABB for your AS, this should be sufficient for you to get predicted 3As. A person getting AAAA at AS and no a* at gcse can be considered a stronger applicant than someone getting AABB at AS and 10 A* at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    Well the minimum you should be looking at is AABB for your AS, this should be sufficient for you to get predicted 3As. A person getting AAAA at AS and no a* at gcse can be considered a stronger applicant than someone getting AABB at AS and 10 A* at gcse.
    Thanks! I'm definitely aiming to get AABB, would like to maybe get a bit higher for a better chance of an offer :P Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm definitely aiming to get AABB, would like to maybe get a bit higher for a better chance of an offer :P Thanks again
    Did you have any exams in January? If so how did you do if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    Did you have any exams in January? If so how did you do if you don't mind me asking
    I didn't have any January exams The less exams, the better :P

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any January exams The less exams, the better :P
    Really? I had 4 in january, and i have 7 in summer and I'm not retaking

ReputationRep:
    Really? I had 4 in january, and i have 7 in summer and I'm not retaking
    That sucks, I only have exams in the Summer

ReputationRep:
    That sucks, I only have exams in the Summer
    Well I wouldn't enjoy 11 exams in summer, preferred it to be spread out

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Thanks!
    Nobody cares about GCSEs. I got A*AABBBBBCC in mine, and 5 A*'s at A level, which resulted in an offer for Law. I'm sure average GCSEs and great A levels are more important than flawless A*'s at GCSE and not so great A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Thanks!
    Hiya,

The typical offers for English and Psychology should be freely available on the website:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2013/i...=BSc&year=2013
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/english.studie...d/apply/entry/
    (AAA and A*AA, respectively)

I tried to address the GCSEs question in my FAQ thread;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post38563676
    Any further information you can find is generally anecdotal, and could give you a false impression of things. The only statistical information about the qualifications of applicants can be found at the link below, and I don't really understand it.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/spa/s...uals/122-6.pdf
    The gist is, you'll be fine with 8A*s. :P

No, Durham don't interview, which is why the personal statement is a much larger part of the admissions proceedures here than at other universities. For AS-level, most applicants will be applying with at least 3As, but there are never any minimum requirements as your application is considered as a whole.

For your question about socials, I'd again refer you to my FAQ thread
    - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post38553391
    It should have a lot of links to other sources of information.

Hope that's helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    Hiya,

The typical offers for English and Psychology should be freely available on the website:
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2013/i...=BSc&year=2013
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/english.studie...d/apply/entry/
    (AAA and A*AA, respectively)

I tried to address the GCSEs question in my FAQ thread;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post38563676
    Any further information you can find is generally anecdotal, and could give you a false impression of things. The only statistical information about the qualifications of applicants can be found at the link below, and I don't really understand it.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/spa/s...uals/122-6.pdf
    The gist is, you'll be fine with 8A*s. :P

No, Durham don't interview, which is why the personal statement is a much larger part of the admissions proceedures here than at other universities. For AS-level, most applicants will be applying with at least 3As, but there are never any minimum requirements as your application is considered as a whole.

For your question about socials, I'd again refer you to my FAQ thread
    - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post38553391
    It should have a lot of links to other sources of information.

Hope that's helped!
    Thank you so much! That cleared everything up Loving Durham at the moment, hopefully will get the grades to apply Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on English, but I applied for psychology this year and got an AAA offer. Personally, I think your GCSEs are great, andassuming you get good AS grades and a cracking personal statement, I can't see why you wouldn't get an offer I know that psychology courses prefer science A Levels, but I know a number of successful offer holders for Durham psychology with language A levels- gets As in the Summer and I imagine you'll be well in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boro123)
    I can't comment on English, but I applied for psychology this year and got an AAA offer. Personally, I think your GCSEs are great, andassuming you get good AS grades and a cracking personal statement, I can't see why you wouldn't get an offer I know that psychology courses prefer science A Levels, but I know a number of successful offer holders for Durham psychology with language A levels- gets As in the Summer and I imagine you'll be well in.
    Thank you! I was really worried about taking psychology on without any science or maths as my teacher had said I'd have a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to getting uni offers but it's nice to know it's not a huge thing

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.