Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Has been posted elsewhere but think its in the wrong place!)

Hi all!

So basically, I am 19 and this September I shall be undertaking a Access To HE in business management! and looking to start university in September 2014 studying accounting & finance after I have completed my course.

My questions are, what kind of chance do I actually have against people who have done the A-Level route?

I do work in accounts at the momement, and by the time I start my course in September I would have had 1 year and 6 months worth of working accounts experience... would I show this on my applications? and so I am guessing it would improve my chances I hope of getting a place as I already know some of the basic accounting principles and how things work (Accounts Receivable, Payable) etc,

I as well have kind of got a list of Universitys I have checked out online which I think I would fit in to and would be thinking off going to which are....

1.Westminster University
    2.Queen Mary, University London
    3.University Of Greenwich
    4.London Metropolitan
    5.City University London
    6.London South Bank - (Maybe)

Does anybody go to any of the universitys and do you feel they are good?

Is anybody studying accounting at any of these also and feel that they are learning a lot with a good standard of teaching?

Also, has anybody got in to these universitys with a access course?

As well, Westminster university probably is my top choice, and they have a open day on I think the 19th June, would it be worth taking the train down for the day to check it out? or just wait till I will be applying in October/November time?

any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Milan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilanPalmer)
    (Has been posted elsewhere but think its in the wrong place!)

Hi all!

So basically, I am 19 and this September I shall be undertaking a Access To HE in business management! and looking to start university in September 2014 studying accounting & finance after I have completed my course.

My questions are, what kind of chance do I actually have against people who have done the A-Level route?

I do work in accounts at the momement, and by the time I start my course in September I would have had 1 year and 6 months worth of working accounts experience... would I show this on my applications? and so I am guessing it would improve my chances I hope of getting a place as I already know some of the basic accounting principles and how things work (Accounts Receivable, Payable) etc,

I as well have kind of got a list of Universitys I have checked out online which I think I would fit in to and would be thinking off going to which are....

1.Westminster University
    2.Queen Mary, University London
    3.University Of Greenwich
    4.London Metropolitan
    5.City University London
    6.London South Bank - (Maybe)

Does anybody go to any of the universitys and do you feel they are good?

Is anybody studying accounting at any of these also and feel that they are learning a lot with a good standard of teaching?

Also, has anybody got in to these universitys with a access course?

As well, Westminster university probably is my top choice, and they have a open day on I think the 19th June, would it be worth taking the train down for the day to check it out? or just wait till I will be applying in October/November time?

any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Milan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only universities I'd consider going to out of those would be Queen Mary, or City, POSSIBLY Greenwich.

The others aren't really worth it as they're pretty shocking places. London Met, LSBU and Westminster are bottom tier universities.

You should apply to 1/2 *high* uni's, 2 mid, then 1/2 *low* uni's. You could do UCL/KCL, Queen Mary, City, Greenwich, LSBU/Westminster (do NOT go near London Met).

I did an Access Course and you get an equal consideration to those who do A Levels. Uni's judge each application on it's own, to make sure you can study at that level.

I think with your work experience you'd get in no problem. Just make sure that you write about your work experience in your personal statement. If you can get high marks in the Access Course you'd more than likely be able to get in to KCL or UCL, definitely the other ones you mentioned though.

London Met, Westminster and LSBU will take ANYONE with a pulse. They're too easy to get in to, & not worth the debt afterwards.

I'd say start going to open days now. As you apply in Oct/Nov time, it gives you time to decide where to actually apply to. Too many people apply to ones they *think* they like, then end up withdrawing and going elsewhere!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of getting into university you will not be disadvantaged provided that you are organised and focused. Unlike A' levels you don't have a year to establish yourself with your college tutors before applying. So you need to start your Access course in September with your personal statement for your UCAS application at an advanced stage, you need to identify who will be writing your reference and get on top of your studies. It helps to find all your certificates, so you can list what you have done accurately. You also need to make sure you do as many level 3 maths modules as you can.

With regards to Westminster University, I would advise a visit in June and to your other potential choices. You should be aware that if a career in accountancy is your aim, it is one the professions who care about your GCSE and A level grades. So you may be disadvantaged by doing an Access course if your career goal is entry into the accountancy profession at Graduate level which usually requires 280 UCAS tariff points, which are currently not awarded to Access courses. The bigger accountancy firms are also picky about where you graduated from. So of your list I would place Queen Mary's (newly minted Russell group member), followed by City.

If accountancy is your desired profession, then there are routes using professional qualifications that can allow you to gain both (professional qualifications and degree) at the same time. As you say you are currently employed in an Accounts role, would they be prepared to consider sponsoring you to do your professional exams. You have a choice of ACCA or AAT leading to ICAEW. If you plan to travel then in terms of simliar level recognition ICAEW is gaining ground on ACCA. But it is harder to secure training positions. The key thing with accountancy is relevant signed off training experience, to complete the professional qualification and practice as a qualified Accountant. ACCA offer the BSc Applied Accounting degree validated by Oxford Brookes University. ICAEW have a new partnership with Birkbeck and CASS (City University's business school), that are London based. Once you have an undergraduate degree there is also CIMA and CIPFA as routes to becoming a qualfied accountant, although you won't be able to audit.

If you are not heading for accountancy, consider which universities are a good fit for you (in terms of teaching and culture), how effective they are at securing placements for students and what their post graduation employment rates are. Don't be intimidated out applying to the higher ranked places.

Good Luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.