Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Every time I pick up this book that was recommended to me I'm having to pick up a dictionary around two to three times every sentence, and don't even get me started on Wikipedia articles. It's getting irritating. Do people have to be so pretentious...

So, other than subscribing to Dictionary.com, how did you acquire your vocabulary? This is essential to me as I aspire to be a fantasy author.

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing what you're doing and read lots.

ReputationRep:
    I think reading books helped me the most. The more I read the more words I knew. I would just have the dictionary.com app on my phone for easy searching while reading and there was a word I wasn't sure on.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, every-time I write an essay (which is sadly often), I keep an online thesaurus open and constantly refer to it to avoid using the same words over and over again. It also really helps if you get someone else to proofread.

And of course, just reading in general. Being able to see other writer's phrasing really helps too.

Good luck with the writing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above poster.
    Maybe get a kindle and all you have to do is click on a word to find the meaning.

(Original post by Ashir)
    Every time I pick up this book that was recommended to me I'm having to pick up a dictionary around two to three times every sentence, and don't even get me started on Wikipedia articles. It's getting irritating. Do people have to be so pretentious...

So, other than subscribing to Dictionary.com, how did you acquire your vocabulary? This is essential to me as I aspire to be a fantasy author.
    One thing you could do is instead of going straight to the dictionary, try to work out the meanings of words through the context/implications. Another thing is to set yourself a target of learning a number of words in a week: write down five/ten new words, find out their meaning, etymology, general usage, connotation, what phrases they're used in, etc And maybe later use them in sentences.

(Original post by Ashir)

Reading a lot is important - and varying genres as well, so that you gain as broad reaching a vocabulary as possible. Also, there are page a day word calendars which give you an unusual word a day. Hardly scintillating in my opinion, but to each his own!!! Hahahaha.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I use the Memrise app and website (although I find the website to be better). Choose something like 'Advanced English Vocabulary'. It will test you on the words and definitions, as well as giving situational use of the word and ways to remember it. It repeats the words so that they go into your long-term memory. I think it's great.

http://www.memrise.com

ReputationRep:
    Not that I'm obsessed but every time I listen to BoJo I inevitably learn the meaning of a new word. I remember hearing him using the word 'elucidated'. I set myself a challenge of using it in sentence.

(Original post by meenu89)
    Not that I'm obsessed but every time I listen to BoJo I inevitably learn the meaning of a new word. I remember hearing him using the word 'elucidated'. I set myself a challenge of using it in sentence.
    Good old Boris!

(Original post by meenu89)
    It begs the question of how he learnt those words in the first place,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Keep doing what you're doing and read lots.
    But that won't teach me the definitions of the words? I'd probably just go past them without ever knowing what it means. It's very rare that you can pick up words from the context, at least to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashir)
    But that won't teach me the definitions of the words? I'd probably just go past them without ever knowing what it means. It's very rare that you can pick up words from the context, at least to me anyway.
    so keep doing what you're doing as in looking them up

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.