Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    This could get long, I apologise.

    I've applied to do English Studies at university, starting this September, I've accepted Nottingham as my firm and Huddersfield as my insurance.

    Up until September 2012 I was planning on applying for French, which I was really looking forward to, but for various reasons I applied to do English instead.

    I'm really beginning to regret not applying for French or joint honours French and English, and I really don't know what to do. Basically, my options are: stick with an English degree; wait and see which subject I do best in on results day; contact my universities and see what my chances are of changing my course; or withdraw my application, take a gap year, and reapply next year.

    Has anyone had any experience with this? What are my chances of being allowed to change my course? What would be my best course of action? Also, what are the pros and cons of doing a joint honours degree? I've been told that I might be over-qualified with a joint honours degree, is this true?

    (hoping this is the right place to post)


    Just write to the universities and ask? I think there's a good chance they'll let you in a joint honours programme, but even if you don't, you'll at least know where you stand so you won't have to wonder about whether it's possible to get your offer changed or not. I'm doing an Eng Lit + Comp Lit joint honours, I don't think a joint honours degree makes you over-qualified and I think modern foreign language + Eng Lit is a very good combination (critical skills you learn in Eng Lit give you an edge in culture / literature courses, I think), if you can get into a joint honours programme and like both French and Eng Lit, I'd say go for it. However, if you can't, I don't know about taking a gap year - do you have any plans for what you're going to do for a whole year? (get a job? travel?) and are you sure you're not going to regret it or change your mind again?
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.