Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago I stumbled upon a thread about religion, someone wrote that religious books are crap, I found this deeply offensive and reported the post, the moderators said they would not ban that post? Am I seriously being unfair? Like there are some religious books which I don't agree with but I'd never say anything bad about them? Like I respect people of all religions, I really was deeply offended by the post but are the tsr moderators being fair?

ReputationRep:
    Part the sea and get over it.

I guess that never happened though

I think you are being too sensitive. It's Easter! :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    Was it as blunt as that? General criticism should certainly be allowed. What exactly do you mean by "saying anything bad about them?"

ReputationRep:
    I think religious books offer as much reading value as a Jacqueline Wilson novel. I try not to slate them too much myself... however

(Original post by Pawsies)
    Part the sea and get over it. :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Was it as blunt as that? General criticism should certainly be allowed. What exactly do you mean by "saying anything bad about them?"
    I mean by saying a holy book is rubbish or crap rather than saying what it is that they disagree with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    I mean by saying a holy book is rubbish or crap rather than saying what it is that they disagree with
    Hmm. Obviously it's not very sensitive, but one should certainly have the right to be obnoxious.

ReputationRep:
    I respect people's right to follow whatever religion they like, that doesn't mean I respect the religion or it's trappings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Hmm. Obviously it's not very sensitive, but one should certainly have the right to be obnoxious.
    True. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Would you be equally insulted if someone said Lord of the Flies is crap? No - but to atheists, there is no difference between one piece of fiction and another.

If someone believes religious texts to be crap then that is their opinion, there is no obligation to give a reason, though I agree one would be nice for a debate or a discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Would you be equally insulted if someone said Lord of the Flies is crap? No - but to atheists, there is no difference between one piece of fiction and another.

If someone believes religious texts to be crap then that is their opinion, there is no obligation to give a reason, though I agree one would be nice for a debate or a discussion.
    Aesthetically displeasing is a reason. It's all ancient literature to me, and a lot of religious texts are inferior examples of their source culture's literary traditions. The trouble is it's difficult to give such a reason without getting diverted down theological avenues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do a group of people follow the book lord of the flies as a religion? Does it affect how they live their lives? ... No I respect atheist not having a religion because its their decision but I think it's fair if they respect thiests back

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed when people don't justify their opinions but they're entitled to it. Nothing should be sacred, certainly not before human life and the services we rely on.

ReputationRep:
    Do a group of people follow the book lord of the flies as a religion? Does it affect how they live their lives? ... No I respect atheist not having a religion because its their decision but I think it's fair if they respect thiests back
    In demanding that people do not speak foul of religious texts you are disrespecting atheists. It doesn't matter if no one or 1 million people follow a book, if one believes it fiction and does not enjoy the book, they may very well call it crap and exercise freedom of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago I stumbled upon a thread about religion, someone wrote that religious books are crap, I found this deeply offensive and reported the post, the moderators said they would not ban that post? Am I seriously being unfair? Like there are some religious books which I don't agree with but I'd never say anything bad about them? Like I respect people of all religions, I really was deeply offended by the post but are the tsr moderators being fair?
    Book reviewers say books and crap all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Sanna, TSR is full pretentious atheist people who are coincidentally self proclaimed theology "scholars" and obviously understand the value of religious texts to their adherents. I would just ignore them and realise not everyone is going to like/respect what you believe in.

They're going to say harsh and insulting things about your faith but you shouldn't let it get to you. So much for being emancipated from the influence of religion when you spend every second of your life *****ing about it :rolleyes: But of course, they're only engaging in "intellectual" discourse.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Yes you are being overly sensitive. Time to grow a backbone and get thicker skin. You do not have the right to not be offended. Calling religious texts crap is fairly mild criticism really.
    Indeed. Twighlight is crap.
    Your religious texts are down right oppressive.

I think it's not a bad question. However it was made within the context of a discussion about religion so I'd let it pass.

Objectively, but by no means literally, they are a pile of poop though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    So much for being emancipated from the influence of religion when you spend every second of your life *****ing about it :rolleyes:
    This is nonsensical.

I have never heard an atheist argue they are emancipated from the influence of religion - that is impossible. Indeed that is one of the reasons atheists oppose it in an attacking manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    This is nonsensical.

I have never heard an atheist argue they are emancipated from the influence of religion - that is impossible. Indeed that is one of the reasons atheists oppose it in an attacking manner.
    No in the literal sense genius. And besides, we live in highly secularised societies that have diluted if not completely destroyed and meaningful influence religion has. What you're "attacking" is nothing more than bullying. I feel particularly sorry for the young impressionable theists who've been taught to respect people regardless of their beliefs (like the op) to come here and become essentially re-educated that you have to browbeat someone because their spiritual beliefs don't necessarily correspond with yours.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying other people should have the same beliefs As me, but there's something called respect which I don't think your parents have taught You yet

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.